New guy with a question....

Options
knotgood77
knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
First I will take a minute to say Hello to everyone!! I have been doing a modified keto diet for a bit more than a month now. In general my macros are good, but I often have extra protein in there. Not crazy amounts, but more than the macros suggest is ideal. On a day like today, where the cuts of meat I had were leaner than I would have bought for myself, I find I am trying to hit the fat macros with foods that embody a function over flavor platform. Adding butter/coconut oil to things that ordinarily don't call for it. So now the question, what is the strangest thing you have done in the process of learning to balance things when figuring out how to get the needed amount of fat in your diet?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you're into weight lifting/athletics, it's generally ok to get around 1g/lb BW protein per day
    There is no magic level of ketone bodies that will indicate what's best for fat burning (most ketone readers only measure aceto-acetate anyways; beta hydroxy butyrate levels are more prominent in ketosis). End point: fatloss still comes down to a kcal deficit over time

*Strangest thing balancing: keeping protein relatively high & adjusting fat kcals prominently for fatloss goals; cycling in "fat refeed" days high fat, relatively low protein. Just in my personal experience, it is practically impossible to get fat consuming high protein with restricted fat intake even with "moderate" (that "keto" moderate) carbohydrates (50-100g/day)

*Note: many users here commonly opt for higher fat content meats (chicken thighs, ground beef, etc.). Again, boils down to your goals & what will allow you to be most compliant

Experiment away
  • knotgood77
    Options
    Today was an off day, I did not buy the meats. Normally my balance of things has been good, not always the highest quality, but macros and results have been good. I am curious mostly about others experience with the learning curve.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I never worry about being over on protein, only under. There's no upper limit where I would feel that I should stop eating it and replace it with fat instead.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like when I eat lean meats because I can save my fat for my cooked veggies or salad dressing. Or eat a spoonful of almond butter. Usually I have to eat my salad without dressing because I already get enough fat from my food and the dressing puts me over my calories. But I love tahini dressing when I make room for it.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I try to meet or exceed the protein macro and stay under on the fat, carbs and calories. For me the fat manages the hunger. I often have a can of Walmart chunk chicken at the desk for lunch, and I was finding about 3 or 4 hours later, I was looking for something to eat, and it was probably better not to have any nuts around. I got some mozzarella cheese sticks for an afternoon snack. Yesterday I tried just having the cheese sticks with the chunk chicken at lunch, and that saw me through to supper without the hungries.

I guess I am suggesting "enough" fat to satiate works for me. I don't try to meet the macro though. It is not that the fat is bad, it is just that the caloric deficit for the day will be in the fat, and I am trying to reduce the strategic fat reserve on the body while staying happy with what I am eating, feeling full, etc.
  • knotgood77
    Options
    Not the responses I expected, but good info. I appreciate it. I suspect some these differences are based on eating windows, and if you are using an IF strategy or not. At the current time I find the level of fat to be fairly important....hunger control and energy.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I also worry mainly about not going over carbs and hitting enough protein, and use fat as a way to make meals more "fun" but have not lost sleep over not hitting that macro. My weight loss and level of satiety have been spot on. I don't do IF.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you read here and everywhere enough you'll learn that the keto universe is fairly split on opinions as to "more protein" or "more fat" on ketogenic diets for weight loss. The most interesting part of that is both sides can site studies to support their positions and some will do it ad nauseum.

The same goes for carbohydrates. I was just listening to a podcast on keto geeks with Dr. Ted Naiman and during his little talk about vegetable (or fruit) carbohydrates being unhealthy/toxic his 3 examples were: 1) uncooked kidney beans 2) avocado pits and 3) apple seeds. Who among us eats those? I certainly know I do not. I perhaps ate a few apple seeds as a kid but that's about it. To that I would say let the listener beware and don't decide all plants are toxic cuz uncooked kidney beans, avocado pits and apple seeds.

My own personal ad nauseum to spout would be: a calorie deficit for weight loss. Macros for satiety, health and fitness goals. And a little increased exercise/activity is a good idea for those who are physically able. That's my own personal bias. We all have them because they worked for us...and we can and do find research to back up our position. ;)

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do keto for migraine control. In the beginning of my keto journey I was very careful about the 2:1 ratio and making sure to eat all the fat to maintain that ratio...however, I have discovered that as long as I keep carbs low, it doesn't really matter if I eat all the fat...it still works great to control my migraines, and I can eat a ton of protein and it still works great to control my migraines.

I have plenty of body fat to metabolize, so that may be a factor, I may need to alter that if I get to a point where I start to run low on body fat!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    oh, and when I was eating all the fat avocados were like my very favorite thing for whenever I was running low on fat.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ETA in response to the OP: I ate a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet for a year for reason other than weight management. It was low in both carbohydrates and protein by design. 2 things that were palatable and a good fit for me in that particular diet to get enough fat and keep protein low were cream cheese and mascarpone cheese. Also bullet proof coffee.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If it wasn't clear from my previous post: don't over focus on fat consumption or purposely consume fat for making other macros fit a set in stone ratio or %; it's waaaay too easy too go over on total kcals. Incorporate low to zero carb foods you enjoy but be consistent measuring fat (plenty of room for error with protein)

Protein is generally best for suppressing appetite but switch it up & try high fat (& sodium) day or two when starting to feel lethargic/malaise (then cut fat intake again; can take trial and error and figuring out of activity needs - listen to your body)
  • knotgood77
    Options
    So far I am accomplishing the weight loss goals at a healthy rate, and feel amazing by comparison to the way I was eating previous to this. Keeping carbs low is never a problem for me, I used to use bread for things like holding sammiches together, and soaking up bacon grease in the pan, but have basically no sweet tooth.
    tcunbeliever I too am a huge fan of avocados.....
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I do keto for migraine control. In the beginning of my keto journey I was very careful about the 2:1 ratio and making sure to eat all the fat to maintain that ratio...however, I have discovered that as long as I keep carbs low, it doesn't really matter if I eat all the fat...it still works great to control my migraines, and I can eat a ton of protein and it still works great to control my migraines.

I have plenty of body fat to metabolize, so that may be a factor, I may need to alter that if I get to a point where I start to run low on body fat!

It was never my "goal" to control my migraines with keto. But, I haven't had one since going keto and keeping the carbs keto or lower. That's years without one! Not a single migraine in years (except one migraine after two months of returning to a normal diet... and I went right back to carnivore after getting that migraine). Like you, it's the carbs that have to be low. I can eat ALL the protein, and it doesn't seem to be an issue. It's the carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    knotgood77 wrote: »
    First I will take a minute to say Hello to everyone!! I have been doing a modified keto diet for a bit more than a month now. In general my macros are good, but I often have extra protein in there. Not crazy amounts, but more than the macros suggest is ideal. On a day like today, where the cuts of meat I had were leaner than I would have bought for myself, I find I am trying to hit the fat macros with foods that embody a function over flavor platform. Adding butter/coconut oil to things that ordinarily don't call for it. So now the question, what is the strangest thing you have done in the process of learning to balance things when figuring out how to get the needed amount of fat in your diet?

I am another who does not have a needed amount of fat in my diet. Fat is just fuel and I have plenty of body fat to use. I don't need to consume a lot of fat for high ketones so I use fat to feel full... and taste. ;)

I tend to have a hard time hitting my protein goals because I don't enjoy lean meats as much as fattier cuts. Plus the leaner cuts cost more and we're on a budget right now.

The oddest thing I do with fats is add whipping cream to coffee - I like the taste. Otherwise I don't do anything too unusual.... Although my favorite dish is cheese burger pie (ground beef with cheese baked with an egg, mayo, ketchup, milk and mustard mix. There is a fat slick on that when I pull it out of the oven. It's one of those casseroles where you use smaller dishes so you don't eat waaay too many calories.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I find my diet tends to be pretty rich in fat under any circumstances, and especially so now that I'm doing keto. But for times when I need a quick boost of non-carb calories, I've had all sorts of fun testing and making fat bombs. 100-250 calories, mainly of fat, and they satisfy that "dessert" itch even though I use as little sweetener as I can stand. Pinterest has millions. :)
  • knotgood77
    Options
    I definitely require the fat to be satisfied in between meals. I do still have some of my own fat reserves to go through however. I tend to make foods that are high in fat, reasonable in protein, loaded with calories. This is what meal prep looks like yesterday....7ysj6m81yi3g.jpg Ground smoked duck 1/2lb, 1Cup smoked cheddar, wrapped 1 1/2 lbs. of 73/27 ground beef, and wrapped in a 20 piece bacon weave x2. I cut them in quarters after they smoke for a good 3 hours. Each serving is a modest 950 cal or so....An avocado on the side is good too.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    knotgood77 wrote: »
    I definitely require the fat to be satisfied in between meals. I do still have some of my own fat reserves to go through however. I tend to make foods that are high in fat, reasonable in protein, loaded with calories. This is what meal prep looks like yesterday....7ysj6m81yi3g.jpg Ground smoked duck 1/2lb, 1Cup smoked cheddar, wrapped 1 1/2 lbs. of 73/27 ground beef, and wrapped in a 20 piece bacon weave x2. I cut them in quarters after they smoke for a good 3 hours. Each serving is a modest 950 cal or so....An avocado on the side is good too.

So pretty!
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    crazy thing I have done since on keto/low carb is put butter or coconut oil in my coffee LOL it was so wild at first kind of oily , but now I am use to it , kind of crave it .
    and bacon has become my best friend !!!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Craziest thing I have eaten since low carb: I love egg lattes. 1tsp coconut oil, 1tsp butter, 1small egg, add strong hot coffee and blend until frothy. I know we are told not to eat raw egg but I raise my own chickens, they lay me eggs and I eat them in all forms. This is my fave lchf breakfast and I NEVER thought eggs would go in coffee. The oil and butter no prob. That is basically what coffee creamer is anyway so I had no issues wrapping my head around it. The eggs had me cautious, but I probably make that for breakfast/brunch twice a week now.