New guy with a question....

Options
2»

Replies

• knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Craziest thing I have eaten since low carb: I love egg lattes. 1tsp coconut oil, 1tsp butter, 1small egg, add strong hot coffee and blend until frothy. I know we are told not to eat raw egg but I raise my own chickens, they lay me eggs and I eat them in all forms. This is my fave lchf breakfast and I NEVER thought eggs would go in coffee. The oil and butter no prob. That is basically what coffee creamer is anyway so I had no issues wrapping my head around it. The eggs had me cautious, but I probably make that for breakfast/brunch twice a week now.

For what it is worth, I have eaten a lot of raw eggs over the years. Homemade mayo, Whey protein shakes have a much better texture with a raw egg thrown in the mix etc. Never was super picky about where I got them, walmart, gas station, supermarket and so on. They say about 1 in every 10000 eggs has salmonella.....the odds of that not being the one I cook are so small I just don't care.

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    knotgood77 wrote: »
    Craziest thing I have eaten since low carb: I love egg lattes. 1tsp coconut oil, 1tsp butter, 1small egg, add strong hot coffee and blend until frothy. I know we are told not to eat raw egg but I raise my own chickens, they lay me eggs and I eat them in all forms. This is my fave lchf breakfast and I NEVER thought eggs would go in coffee. The oil and butter no prob. That is basically what coffee creamer is anyway so I had no issues wrapping my head around it. The eggs had me cautious, but I probably make that for breakfast/brunch twice a week now.

For what it is worth, I have eaten a lot of raw eggs over the years. Homemade mayo, Whey protein shakes have a much better texture with a raw egg thrown in the mix etc. Never was super picky about where I got them, walmart, gas station, supermarket and so on. They say about 1 in every 10000 eggs has salmonella.....the odds of that not being the one I cook are so small I just don't care.

Exactly! The amount of homemade mayo I eat now and the amount of raw cookie dough/brownie batter/other baking I ate previously would have killed me long ago of eggs were that much of a danger.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @knotgood77 I grew up getting a raw egg in an "orange julius" my mom made us almost every morning. Those eggs were decidedly factory farmed in their white styrofoam containers.

My kids get raw eggs in their smoothies today.

I'm going to try it in coffee. I never thought of that!
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    @knotgood77 I grew up getting a raw egg in an "orange julius" my mom made us almost every morning. Those eggs were decidedly factory farmed in their white styrofoam containers.

My kids get raw eggs in their smoothies today.

I'm going to try it in coffee. I never thought of that!

My Dad got us into having an egg in our Orange Julius when I was a kid as well. Never had any issues.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Egg lattes were actually how I discovered (for myself) that coffees have flavor other than "bitter." As a super taster, I literally could not tell the difference between the different kinds or even flavors in flavored coffee, it was all the same. Then, I happened upon a combination while experimenting with egg lattes that somehow neutralized the bitter components in the coffee and suddenly I could taste the actual coffee!

Regarding safety of eggs. It seems to me that the bigger hazard these days is raw vegetables. :lol:

That said, if your coffee is fresh and made hot, it should be hot enough to take care of most pathogens the egg might have, for what it's worth.