13»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I did post the links on page one, but here is the pictures I meant:

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.23.11-AM1.jpg

Believe it or not, Staci is 11 pounds heavier (142 pounds) in the picture on the right (May 2011) compared to the picture on the left (131 pounds, October 2010).

progress-713x566.jpg

So amazing, the differences.
  • gedanjj
    gedanjj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I started at 267 pounds in August 2017, I looked up my normal weight range on the BMI chart. According to one chart, it's between 125-165 for my height of 5'9". So I told myself that I would set my goal to be on the high side of that range of 165.

The last time I did a diet was the Weight Watchers diet a few years ago. I got great results as I lost weight on that diet too, but I plateaued at 186 for the longest time. So I gave up on it. This time around, when my doctor told me that I needed to go on a low-carb diet, I told myself I wasn't going to give up.

But as a couple of people have said in this thread, and what I've been finding out myself, is that the BMI chart isn't really the "de facto" standard to what your optimum weight should be. I read that you should measure your waist size to get an approximate idea of your health and weight, FWIW.

But I'm going to try for 165 and see what happens.
  • walterkirklin
    walterkirklin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think my goal is 225#. That was my high school graduation weight back when I could bench press more than my body weight, kickboxed, and had hair! ;P. But seriously It would represent a loss of 100# over a couple years. The BMI chart says that I should be 175# at most for healthy. I'll discuss that with my doctor when I get to my goal.

More importantly I want to lose the weight for activity reasons. I don't want to get dropped on group mountain bike rides (that's why I pretty much only ride solo these days) and to be strong enough to consistently run sub 10 minute miles for a sustained 30 minutes or longer. My walk/run is between 11:30 and 13:50 depending on the day and the terrain.

@midwesterner85 I'd like to know more about how you measure your body fat. That is supposed to be a far better indicator than the BMI chart. Do you have any web resources? I'll be googling it myself pretty soon.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I think my goal is 225#. That was my high school graduation weight back when I could bench press more than my body weight, kickboxed, and had hair! ;P. But seriously It would represent a loss of 100# over a couple years. The BMI chart says that I should be 175# at most for healthy. I'll discuss that with my doctor when I get to my goal.

More importantly I want to lose the weight for activity reasons. I don't want to get dropped on group mountain bike rides (that's why I pretty much only ride solo these days) and to be strong enough to consistently run sub 10 minute miles for a sustained 30 minutes or longer. My walk/run is between 11:30 and 13:50 depending on the day and the terrain.

@midwesterner85 I'd like to know more about how you measure your body fat. That is supposed to be a far better indicator than the BMI chart. Do you have any web resources? I'll be googling it myself pretty soon.

@walterkirklin I use an Omron HBF-516. Most bio-electrical impedance devices are way off (way too low), but this scale is 0.3% higher than Dexa every time. I can't / won't get rid of this scale.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can google pictures of people at various body fat percentages, it will get you close enough. If you find someone who knows how to do the caliper measurements, that is worth a try. And the navy has a body fat calculator here:

fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
  • donharkrn
    donharkrn Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal weight, but rather a goal composition. Ten percent body fat is what I'm trying to obtain. I'm at 13 now.
  • SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started at 357 lbs. My goal was 300. But the dream is 250 lbs. I'm 6'4" and haven't been 250 since college. I think less would be bad.

I'm already down 34 pounds. My goal is to be able to go white water rafting on vacation at the end of July without having to have a "conversation" about me fitting into the life vest. I'm pretty positive I'll make it. At least if the trend continues.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I started at 357 lbs. My goal was 300. But the dream is 250 lbs. I'm 6'4" and haven't been 250 since college. I think less would be bad.

I'm already down 34 pounds. My goal is to be able to go white water rafting on vacation at the end of July without having to have a "conversation" about me fitting into the life vest. I'm pretty positive I'll make it. At least if the trend continues.

nice work!!
  • Half_Bruin
    Half_Bruin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 195 at 12% or lower BF. That’s where I felt the best in my life before and would like to get there again. I’m also cognizant of the fact that I was 10 years younger then but hey, shoot for the stars, right?
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Half_Bruin wrote: »
    My goal weight is 195 at 12% or lower BF. That’s where I felt the best in my life before and would like to get there again. I’m also cognizant of the fact that I was 10 years younger then but hey, shoot for the stars, right?

Just be thankful you are not having to say that was 30 or 40 years ago!! :D
  • KaitlynPeri
    KaitlynPeri Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have short term weight goals 25-50lbs at a time, but no magic number on the scale, if I get below 200lbs I’ll reassess then, as I would have lost 150lbs.
  • DarthWaderMT
    DarthWaderMT Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    my goal is to be normal weight, for me that is around 140 pounds, also would like to have a belly of 32 or less inches, mainly for health reasons