I have a virus and feel miserable. I feel like going off plan for a day or two.

Options
asgentr
asgentr Posts: 228 Member
I've been "missing" normal food for a few days, which has been magnified by no weight loss, stress and now a virus. Does anyone here take keto breaks?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not a great one to reply because I was keto only 1 year of the last 5. I didn't take breaks since my reason for eating keto was a trial for a health issue unrelated to weight.

That said, I read about a diet once called the No "S" diet. No Snacks, no Sweets, no Seconds except Sometimes on days that begin with "S", Special occasions and when you're SICK. Seems like a plan to me. :)

I read in the other thread you ultimately took a break. Hope you continue to feel better, kicked the virus and are back on track in the AM. A new day.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do take breaks for special occasions...this weekend I was at a convention with lots of drinking and Italian food, so I did not stick to keto.

It's a challenge getting back to it after time off, at least for me. My time off almost always involves drinking, and I tend to have a crazy hungry appetite for a few days after drinking. Plus, all the carby stuff tends to upset my stomach. So, while it's great fun to take a day or a weekend off, it always costs me several days of feeling bloated and gross plus fighting the bottomless pit appetite.

Today I may have extra coffee to keep the pit quiet...and I have a very keto lunch packed, so I will stay on plan...with any luck I'll be back to normal in a day or two!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I took a couple of days off keto when I had the flu and ate whatever I wanted or missed. Honestly I don't think breaking for more than one meal here and there is for me. Nothing tasted as good as I expected it would. Then in addition to the post illness fatigue I was also bloated and having carb cravings again. Not worth it.

So to answer the question...I might eat a treat here or there, fitting into my carb count if possible. Or a whole meal off plan if it's a special occasion and I actually think what I eat will be special and worth it. Not extended time off.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    While I do Keto most of the time I am not by any means a slave to it, fortunately it's not for medical reasons I do it, well it is, but just because I think it's good for your health generally.
    If I'm away or out with friends I will try to stick to it as much as possible but I will have drinks and if we are away on holiday I'll tend to be pretty good for some of the time and then blow it good style towards the end! I know I'll bloat and won't feel as good in my clothes but occasionally it's certainly worth it for me to indulge occasionally, though I may not like the effect!
    However I get straight back to it when I get home and don't have a problem, just as long as I accept that my weight will go up for a few days. It's water; it will go. Once you are 'fat adapted' then actually it's quite an effort to start being a 'carb/sugar burner' again and would take longer than I usually allow myself to be off low carb/keto. So generally I wouldn't worry about a few days, any weight gain is water and it will go.
    So personally I say don't worry about it and just know you will go straight back to it and that it will start working for you again.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    And just a side-note, as it was just referenced in another post, but Lysine has anti-viral properties, and isn't expensive.

Elderberry extract is also a viral inhibitor, though more expensive per dose than the lysine... I bought some to take as an immune system booster this flu season, since I have at least one coworker who loves coming to work sick with a bandolier filled with Tylenol Cold and Flue medication... I survived so far...

Both are decent at limiting viral infections, and as far as I know, both are also usable as treatment, especially if the virus is caught early.
  • hbiscotti
    hbiscotti Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is something called "keto flu". My husband got it the first week o keto but it passed in a few days. Hang in there.
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    hbiscotti wrote: »
    There is something called "keto flu". My husband got it the first week o keto but it passed in a few days. Hang in there.

Had it...was awful but luckily short in duration.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    So-called "keto flu" is low sodium and electrolyte imbalances. Most time, it is 100% avoidable... @hbiscotti
  • GoLisaGoSD
    GoLisaGoSD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I caught the legit flu right after starting keto (I nailed a "perfect" first week) and then had to take a break. Sometimes there is no substitute for saltines and Fresca. Get better - then just get back on the horse.
    If it's a real bug, do what you need to do to survive and get well. If it's just cravings and the keto flu - drink some pickle juice or eat some really salty bacon, chug a bunch of water and check your macros... and keto on.
    I just discovered KetoChow, which is a delightful shake mix (TONS of flavors) which helps idiot proof meals during busy times (I use it for breakfast and lunch during my workweek)... it has a great mix of nutrients that help stave off cravings, lots of different flavors and actually really tastes super good (most protein/diet shakes are pretty gross). This is milkshake grade stuff - great customer service, too. Maybe one or two easy slam-dunk meals a day for a while might help you get in the groove?
    Feel better!