How have workouts and energy levels changed in your 50s

Options
Foxgym
Foxgym Posts: 59 Member
Hello from sometimes sunny Suffolk :) I just joined I'm a very active 54 years, for me staying fit and strong has required a different approach in the last 5 odd years, in my youth it was all about how I looked now its about keeping active youthful with strength, cardio, functional movement, balance and flexibility work, I have had to adjust the way I exercise to a mindful approach as my body becomes sensitive to the stress of workouts and life stretching and yoga have become more important than beast mode. How are you all managing this time of life B)

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I am also less Beastly. I'm more concerned with exerting myself then making gains.

Like, today my spin teacher said that most people bike 12-15 miles in her class. Well, I bike around 10, give or take. I still get a sweaty workout, my heart still races.

It's plenty for me right now. I don'tneed to kill myself, you know what I mean?
  • joyoakey
    joyoakey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 69 and definitely find it harder to maintain my level of fitness, even compared to early 60's. Plus, I'm more prone to injury as a master's track and field athlete. I tore my hamstring in March at a national meet and had to hobble over hurdles. I can run 2 miles now without pain, but I have to run slow and steady, without strong push-offs or long strides It's frustrating! I have read it's better to do intervals than long distances as we age. When I'm healed enough to do them, I'll start doing intervals again to increase my cardio fitness.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,584 Member
    Options
    I can't really compare. I wasn't regularly very active until I took up rowing in my mid 40s. I did manage a torn meniscus a few years back (not from rowing - I was jogging, while obese, volunteering at a rowing race (regatta)). Since I'm deferring surgery, I don't train as consistently as I used to while competing - I find it a bit much to row every day, though I am OK with every other day in season. In between rowing days, I go to spin class, or bike, walk, etc. In Winter, since I live in the frozen North, I materially reduce volume: Rowing machines are just not as much fun as on-water, and I'm a weak character. ;)

Coping mechanisms, besides mixing things up more? Strategic stretching, regular professional massages, lots of self-massage tools (foam roller, tennis ball, yoga ball, rollers), regular osteopathic manipulation, occasional PT when I can talk a doc into a referral.

Weight loss has made a huge difference in my knee discomfort/pain. This year, I decided to take a shot at the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge (200K on the rowing machine between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve) after having taken a few years off from that because of the knee. It was manageable, happily, but definitely a challenge.

I'm 62, BTW.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    I'm 63. Have been active outdoors all my life - camping, hiking, fishing, hunting. Only started working out seriously in the gym for the last five years. Have been overweight most of my life, too - started a weight loss program in March 2017 - down 47 pounds today. Another 20 or 30 to go. Has already made the hiking and climbing easier.

Never been very flexible, so I am working on that. Took my first ever yoga class last week, in the hope that a regular regimen will improve flexibility.

I lift with some younger guys - good because they encourage me - bad because I sometimes try to match them pound for pound. I have learned to listen to my body to avoid injury. Most of the time. :D
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,003 Member
    Options
    @alteredsteve175, it sounds like you're making all of the right moves!

I'm a proponent of yoga and lifting both! As a result of various injuries over the years, I hired a personal trainer who watches/corrects my form in lifting... and he changes things up for me all the time. A bit expensive but worth it to me since being constantly injured isn't as much fun as it sounds.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,584 Member
    Options
    I'm 63. Have been active outdoors all my life - camping, hiking, fishing, hunting. Only started working out seriously in the gym for the last five years. Have been overweight most of my life, too - started a weight loss program in March 2017 - down 47 pounds today. Another 20 or 30 to go. Has already made the hiking and climbing easier.

Never been very flexible, so I am working on that. Took my first ever yoga class last week, in the hope that a regular regimen will improve flexibility.

I lift with some younger guys - good because they encourage me - bad because I sometimes try to match them pound for pound. I have learned to listen to my body to avoid injury. Most of the time. :D

It's refreshing to read you say that simple, logical thing :flowerforyou: : So many times IRL, I've talked with people who say "I'm not flexible enough to take yoga" even after saying they'd like to improve their flexibility! ;)
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's refreshing to read you say that simple, logical thing :flowerforyou: : So many times IRL, I've talked with people who say "I'm not flexible enough to take yoga" even after saying they'd like to improve their flexibility! ;)

Thanks for the kind words. We sometimes do a few yoga poses as a stretch after a boot camp/circuit training workout. It felt like the yoga poses would probably help if I do them regularly. The classes are included in my new gym membership, so I have no excuses. (I'll have to think up some new ones. :D )

• alteredsteve175
    Options
    I've been to six yoga classes now. Balance is improving. Flexibility improvements are small so far, but I can see that yoga will help if I continue the classes.

Had some hip pain earlier this week, and pigeon pose help to alleviate that. Used that pose several times during the work day. The hip is feeling better and I'm planning to deadlift in the morning.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That's great news! Good work and it's only the beginning!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I was never very active, but started to do a bit more in the last two years after being told I was pre-diabetic.

Does anyone know why treadmill exercises would give me hip pain??
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    Options
    Just guessing here, but you're probable heel striking. I.e. your foot comes forward too far and you're landing on the heel of the foot first. Shorten your stride so your foot lands under your body mass on the ball of your foot. Leaning forward slightly can also help.

Practice by jogging slowly barefoot on your treadmill. Once you can comfortably jog barefoot, then you can put your runners back on.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Treadmills impose an unnatural gait. When we walk on the ground, we propel ourselves forward whereas the treadmill moves the "ground" under your feet. It's not unusual for people who walk or run on a treadmill exclusively to end up having issues... everything from shin splints, ankle, knee or hip issues... even back issues.

You might be better off to try an elliptical trainer. Depending on the model, they're usually low-to-no impact and the motion is natural enough to avoid joint issues.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @d_thomas02 Thanks for that tip. Will take note of it next time I go on.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate running, I do it. In the winter I’ll use the treadmill, but like UncleMac says, it’s a whole different beast. I notice different muscle area DOMS, foot strike issues etc. When I start running outside, it’s almost like a whole different experience.
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I was in horrible shape in my 40s, so I'm one of those in beast mode at 56. Most days I do cardio--twice a week running--and lifting 3 days a week. I also do a lot of backpacking trips that are fairly rigorous (Mt. Everest Base Camp trek, Patagonia, etc.). Recognizing I'm usually one of the older women in the gym and running trails, I've incorporated more Yoga and begun Tai Chi. I'm actually fearful if I step back a bit from the beast, I'll have to cut back on my eating.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I look to be one of the younger on here -- going to be 54 this year. Like many of you, I have a bad right knee and my back could be better but I'm not complaining.

I injured my right knee when I was heaviest -- shredded the meniscus off the bone and tore basically every ligament left except the ACL, which was gone from years ago. Took two years to walk again. That was when I was 42. That was really what started my journey back to fitness. When you can't walk for a year at all and limp heavily for a few more, it changes how you perceive exercise, but also pain. Doc said my knee that year was the worst he'd seen (from a guy that did 300 plus knees a year). Wanted to do a knee replacement but back in 2006 or so, I was considered too young.

Went from walking a few feet (actually just standing in pain) to turning a stationary bike a few revolutions, to walking more and more each day. Ended up doing 3 miles a day within a year or so, limping in pain most of that. Eventually, the gym adding in more weights, then Spinning classes (those were comical at first), then jogging and trail running up to 6 to 8 miles very slowly!

Ended up losing 70 pounds total. Knee sucks still but I found indoor rowing (not outdoor like Ann does, totally different -- just a machine and a chain) at 49 and fell in love with it. I now row roughly 6 hours a week and I compete in indoor competitions. Placed 2nd my first meet, 1st my second year and nearly took my first regional competition this year (close second place to a huge leap in competition).

My long term goal is to place in the top five for my age group at the Crash-Bs in Boston in 2020 when I'm 55 and be sub 7 minutes on the 2K (I'm currently at 7:11, which was a 8 second improvement over the last year). I know when to stop pushing and what is injury pain versus soreness pain. I'll certainly never be a true "world class" indoor rower -- I'm short and squatty with hamster arms, I'm pretty much the "anti-rower" body but it's fun for me.

I'll likely compete at this as long as I physically can. I enjoy the interaction with other rowers and the competitions/training.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    That’s a determined recovery story. Good on ya!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Thanks Farback. Just like everyone else, you just do what you can and try not to injure yourself!