Has anyone tried low carb?

Options
2»

Replies

• huruta22
    huruta22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I posted about a year ago about a low carb option not really working for me and so thought I'd do a quick update. I stuck to the plan above with carbs at ~20%, feeding some internal need. I had a higher fat % ~(40-50%) and lost ~25 lbs. I started at 184 and am now around 160. I've been at maintenance since October. It all depends on your body and really listening to what you are craving. I think fewer carbs can be very helpful, but it just depends on you as individual. Some can do less. I haven't really had much of a problem keeping to this ratio since I moved to maintenance. It's hardest when I travel for work because carbs are cheap and they are all over restaurant menus. At home I don't eat out that much. So, do what truly works for you and is something you can stick to.
  • knotgood77
    knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    41, and doin' the Keto thing since the end of March. Down 13.5 lbs. total, and 5 of them since I started tracking with MFP. I will probably experiment with other ideas...short term carnivore now, and again comes to mind. I do think Keto is here to stay as my primary diet. Add me if you like, am always looking for new friends!
  • LipsLikeSykur
    LipsLikeSykur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, and have been doing it for 6 weeks. I love it. I intended to eat low carb, but unintentionally found myself in ketosis (I didn't understand the net vs. total carbs) so I went with it! I feel more energetic and clear headed and less moody. My digestion is better too. Grains (even whole) and sugars do not agree with me in various ways. I am still working on getting my sodium intake right and sometimes get heart palpitations and other symptoms. I don't go overboard with fat, and eat like I did before (leaner meats and seafood, veggies, eggs, dairy, nuts & seeds) with the exception of starchy vegetables, grains, legumes, sugar and fruit (other than a few berries). Eventually I would like switch back to lower carb only and to be able to eat grains and sugar again, but only on occasion. I was able to maintain my weight that way previously, and just need to lose about 20 pounds, so I think within a few months I will be ready to make the transition
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Me! My doctor suggested it as I was prediabetic. Now I'm not. :)
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Me as well, I have lost 10 lbs doing low carb and I'm not finding it as hard as I thought I would.
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    At 49, the only thing that works for me is low carb (5-10%), watch the calories (1500-1700) and working out 4-6 times per week.

Doing this I have taken off 7 of the 10 lbs I gained this winter over the last month.

Currently in a low energy period (last 3 days). Not sure if this is diet related or hormonal since I am in the throws of perimenopause.