5/8 Tuesday Day 8 SLBC: How's Your One Thing Going?

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
aawjy4w423ft.jpg

Theme: How's Your “One Thing” Going?

Today's Challenge: You selected one action to focus on this month that should result in you sitting less. How is this priority action going? Is it becoming easier to do and maybe even a habit? For today’s challenge, focus on your “One Thing”. Stick with it and give it some attention today. New habits need regular practice!

Please tell us about your progress and successes in sitting less. Nothing is too small to be noted and celebrated! And if you are frustrated, post that as well. You've come to the right place for support and encouragement.

Alternative Challenge: Make a point to park further away from your destination today. Those extra steps really add up!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    Habits are built through practice, not New Years:

epf4ok7x481q.png

• themedalist
    Options
    It has to be the right time in our lives to do this, @LogR4Life. New habits take time and focus. That’s what Boot Camp is really about— carving out a little time and space in our lives over 3 weeks to focus on sitting less and allowing small sit-less habits to grow.

I think there’s a lot of benefit to working on this together. Sitting less is hard. Our world is structured around chairs and the extra support and encouragement of others can be very beneficial. But as you’ve shown, it’s possible to do this solo. When awareness becomes action, change follows.

Thanks for the update. Hearing the Boot Camp is having a positive impact on your life motivates me greatly.
  • themedalist
    Options
    My one thing is to stand while I read my 3 daily e-newsletters. It’s going well. They come routinely every morning so the trigger is always there and it’s an additional 15 minutes of standing each day. Which may not sound like much, but 15 minutes more of daily standing is an additional 91 hours a year that I’ve unseated myself.

Small changes snowball into big impacts!
  • pennysob
    pennysob Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm focusing on getting up every 5 or 10 minutes if I'm sitting, even if I just stand and do what I'm doing.
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If sitting while the t.v. is on, I get up and walk through the house for the duration of the commercials. I've replaced "doing the stairs". Instead of grouping things to put away, I break the stack up into smaller groups to get more steps in. It really does add up.
  • OrlisMoonpie688
    OrlisMoonpie688 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    its been going great, I've really focused on moving more and sitting less in what ever way I can fit that in. I've committed to 6000 daily steps, I try to get that in by walking on my lunch and breaks while at work. make trips to the printer or shredder every hour, just to get moving, lol.

my one thing was to walk a lap when I get out of the car going to and getting home from work. I do better getting home from work, I'm not a morning person, so I have a harder time getting to work early enough to walk. to help with that, I made plans with a co-worker to walk when I show up early. helps me be more accountable.

I've followed other peoples suggestions to incorporate more movement. while on the phone at home, I walked the entire time. I took a few bags from the car to the house at a time when I went shopping, I did a lot of spring cleaning over the weekend. while the goal is 6000 steps I know on days when I get over that I'm like just a few more will put me at 8000, once I reached that it was like don't stop, you can get 10,000. I'm happy to say since bootcamp started, I've done at least 6000 daily steps and twice so far I've reached the 10,000 steps.
  • Jinantonix
    Jinantonix Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So far so good, although it was Bank Holiday weekend here in England so that made it easier to reach my target as I haven't been tied to my desk. First day back today though and so far I have managed my target of responding to my Fitbit reminder and walking at least 250 steps per hour.
  • themedalist
    Options
    pennysob wrote: »
    I'm focusing on getting up every 5 or 10 minutes if I'm sitting, even if I just stand and do what I'm doing.

Terrific, @pennysob! Standing up more often than the every 30 minutes that's recommended is never a bad idea if it works for you. Well done!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Not as planned. I managed 2 walks with my morning coffee. It has been to cold for my comfort level. I got up early just to go for my morning walk and it was 46 degrees. Instead I am side stepping to music in my kitchen.

Plans change, dont they? An integral part of the habits process is experimenting and adjusting to see what works for you. You can't force yourself to do a habit that you don't enjoy (or find acceptable) or that's not a good fit for you. Sounds like you've found other ways to sit less, @PinkyPan1!
  • themedalist
    Options
    pizzafruit wrote: »
    If sitting while the t.v. is on, I get up and walk through the house for the duration of the commercials. I've replaced "doing the stairs". Instead of grouping things to put away, I break the stack up into smaller groups to get more steps in. It really does add up.

"It really does add up"

^^^THIS!!! :)

Glad it's going well for you, @pizzafruit!
  • themedalist
    Options
    its been going great, I've really focused on moving more and sitting less in what ever way I can fit that in. I've committed to 6000 daily steps, I try to get that in by walking on my lunch and breaks while at work. make trips to the printer or shredder every hour, just to get moving, lol.

my one thing was to walk a lap when I get out of the car going to and getting home from work. I do better getting home from work, I'm not a morning person, so I have a harder time getting to work early enough to walk. to help with that, I made plans with a co-worker to walk when I show up early. helps me be more accountable.

I've followed other peoples suggestions to incorporate more movement. while on the phone at home, I walked the entire time. I took a few bags from the car to the house at a time when I went shopping, I did a lot of spring cleaning over the weekend. while the goal is 6000 steps I know on days when I get over that I'm like just a few more will put me at 8000, once I reached that it was like don't stop, you can get 10,000. I'm happy to say since bootcamp started, I've done at least 6000 daily steps and twice so far I've reached the 10,000 steps.

I'm smiling ear to ear, @OrlisMoonpie688. I'm glad it's going great for you. Great idea to find a walking buddy! Accountability is key.

And yes, we can learn a lot from other people's suggestions, ideas, and posts. We all have thoughts and observations worthy of sharing. Thanks for posting!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    So far so good, although it was Bank Holiday weekend here in England so that made it easier to reach my target as I haven't been tied to my desk. First day back today though and so far I have managed my target of responding to my Fitbit reminder and walking at least 250 steps per hour.

Nicely done, @Jinantonix! Thanks for the update!
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Things are going well for me. Music is my queue to move, and I've made up some routines to some of my favorites songs. I struggled to get over 12,500 steps this past weekend, and I've only met my Gold status twice, the rest were Silver.

Yesterday taught me an important lesson - you gotta wear the right shoe, no matter how cute your new ones are. I walked less yesterday because I was too busy breaking in some new chunky heeled sandals I bought :) Today I have my sneakers again, but I need to make sure I move more when I wear the others. Even if I don't walk around like normal, I can walk in place in my office or do squats.
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    So far so good - walking 1 segment of my commute done everyday - except Sunday
  • themedalist
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So far so good - walking 1 segment of my commute done everyday - except Sunday

Terrific, @allmannerofthings, well done!
  • themedalist
    Options
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    Things are going well for me. Music is my queue to move, and I've made up some routines to some of my favorites songs. I struggled to get over 12,500 steps this past weekend, and I've only met my Gold status twice, the rest were Silver.

Yesterday taught me an important lesson - you gotta wear the right shoe, no matter how cute your new ones are. I walked less yesterday because I was too busy breaking in some new chunky heeled sandals I bought :) Today I have my sneakers again, but I need to make sure I move more when I wear the others. Even if I don't walk around like normal, I can walk in place in my office or do squats.

Good point @MmamabearR. Good footwear is essential to moving more. And the right music can get almost anyone out of the chair.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,857 Member
    Options
    @MmamabearR , I love the comic!! I hate having to recharge my fitbit! And I agree on the shoes. I have given up on cute shoes. :'(:'( I only wear them for fancy occasions, and even then, since I love to dance, I go for comfort over beauty.

My one thing is going okay, but not great. I've spent so many years trying to ignore my husband's intrusive timer going off, that I am sometimes not noticing it, so as a cue, it is not as effective as I had hoped. Still, I'm trying to retrain my mind. Also, it is a bit random as a cue.