Looking for homemade Keto chocolate bar recipes

4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
Ok. It’s confession time...

I’ve been saying that I eat 0 carb keto aka carnivore but if I was to be completely honest, I’m more of a choco-carnivore. I can’t seem to kick my chocolate habit. I’m trying to wean myself off of chocolate but I want to do it gradually and keto style and I don’t want chocolate fat bombs. I don’t need the fat. I just want my chocolate fix.

Does anyone have a really good keto chocolate bar recipe?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2018
    Since you're a Choco-Carnivore:
    Cooked bacon dipped in a melted down piece of a 100% chocolate bar. 100% chocolate can be found in the baking section of your supermarket. I don't eat choco/bacon but "chocolate covered bacon" is a real thing that can be purchased except it is sweet chocolate. If not 100% chocolate then it's not a chocolate fix but rather a "sweet treat" fix. Cocoa has fiber though. I recall your mode is to be fiber free? I prefer strawberries or orange pieces dipped in 100% chocolate. Or almonds or coconut. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    @ladipoet

Also has some recipes for barely sweetened homemade chocolate bars.

An easy store method is just to get more and more dark chocolate as you go... (55% to 66%, 72%, 75%, 86%, etc.). You can also do cocoa power, cocoa butter, and reconstitute to make your own, sweeten only as needed to tolerate. Some long term keto folks do 100% as mentioned above...
  • 4031isaiah
    Thanks! I have tried 90% dark chocolate and that’s ok. I’d really like to get my hands on a decent recipe to make my own to have more control of what’s in it. I’ve googled some recipes and tried a few variations but haven’t found anything that I liked or that turned out successfully.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Yep, my favorite chocolate bar (that I don't have to make) is a 91% Guittard Nocturne bar.

I don't have the recipes on me right now (I'm at work), but @403isaiah, if you send me an email through MFP, I'll send them to you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I used to make my own "chocolate" with coconut oil and cocoa powder plus a touch of sweetener like splenda or stevia...let me find an actual recipe with amounts...

You will still taste the coconut unless you use the oil that doesn't have that coconut flavor, but it's very mild and I liked it a great deal...I haven't made any in a while because my husband and kids kept eating it faster than I did - so apparently it's a hit even with non-keto people.

this looks close:
    https://ruled.me/best-basic-low-carb-chocolate/

and this one:
    fitwithoutstarving.com/2017/09/06/homemade-coconut-oil-chocolate/
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I love Lily's chocolate bars, particularly the carmelized salted caramel. It's divine. I know it's not homemade, but it's just the best, and such a treat at the end of a day!
  • 4031isaiah
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Yep, my favorite chocolate bar (that I don't have to make) is a 91% Guittard Nocturne bar.

I don't have the recipes on me right now (I'm at work), but @403isaiah, if you send me an email through MFP, I'll send them to you.

My MFP email is glitching... I tried to send messages to you and knit that won’t go through.
  • 4031isaiah
    I used to make my own "chocolate" with coconut oil and cocoa powder plus a touch of sweetener like splenda or stevia...let me find an actual recipe with amounts...

You will still taste the coconut unless you use the oil that doesn't have that coconut flavor, but it's very mild and I liked it a great deal...I haven't made any in a while because my husband and kids kept eating it faster than I did - so apparently it's a hit even with non-keto people.

this looks close:
    https://ruled.me/best-basic-low-carb-chocolate/

and this one:
    fitwithoutstarving.com/2017/09/06/homemade-coconut-oil-chocolate/

Thanks. This looks more like a fat bomb. I was hoping for a recipe for an actual keto chocolate bar.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    i had to try the first link above and what can i say...? easy to make and really nice!
  • SteveP999Tx
    SteveP999Tx Posts: 21 Member
    I'll second (or third) the coconut oil/coco powder/stevia/vanilla combo. I pour two teaspoons into a candy mold and freeze them. Easy to measure, make, and most importantly - it satisfies my sweet "craving"

I don't really have a craving. But if I have the room in my macros, it's my reward for kicking butt that day. I look forward to having that piece of "candy"
  • 4031isaiah
    Thanks I have lots of really good chocolate fat bomb recipes... I agree that they are good. I made them and ate them for years.

I have since discovered that coconut oil was one of the culprits contributing to continued digestive issues, so the coconut oil/chocolate combo no longer works for me.

That’s why I’m asking for non fat bomb chocolate “bar” alternatives for days when I’d like a piece of chocolate.
  • 4031isaiah
    I have cacao powder, coco butter and a low carb sweetener and I googled some recipes but I don’t want to waste expensive ingredients experimenting. I was hoping to hear from someone who has a tried and true recipe.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I have cacao powder, coco butter and a low carb sweetener and I googled some recipes but I don’t want to waste expensive ingredients experimenting. I was hoping to hear from someone who has a tried and true recipe.

Recipes sent to you via MFP email. I hope you enjoy them!
  • 4031isaiah
    Thank you so much!
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    I love the Ross no sugar added bars. Our Walmart sells then in the diabetic section of their pharmacy (Canada). Only 1 carb for the dark chocolate, and it's delish! 3 carbs for the mint chocolate (the only 2 I've tried).
  • 4031isaiah
    Hmm... I’m in Canada