Let’s Move Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ila1227
    Ila1227 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started exercise classes 2 weeks ago. Never before. I am 70...yikes. Fibrom is constant, i barely walk into classes and probably make a fool of myself with all the young women but my goal is to just move and keep mving before fm and arthr take me out
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Good for you, anything we can do is worthwhile.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been out of action here for a few days. My patrol colleague is away and I have taken over his shifts, plus I got called out for an emergency one morning so literally 6 days in a row working morning (have to get up at 7 am) AND working graveyard (don't get home til 5:30 am, then go to sleep). So that means extra exercise at work (loss prevention one day - hours of walking around the store 'shopping', plus city patrol walking). No time or energy to do extra :s
    WTG, @lla1227 - let your instructor know what you are dealing with and they can help with options. BTW, in case you didn't know - people with FM have a drop in core temperature after exercise which is the opposite of normal physiology. Make sure you bundle up warmly after your exercise or use a hot tub.
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    No exercise yesterday or Sunday as I overdid things on Saturday but I did manage a walk to and from the station for work today. Hopefully back on track tomorrow.

Interesting about the drop in temperature after exercise.
  • canadjineh
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Although this paper is originally from 1997 (published in Dec 2005) it still covers most of the basics of what's actually happening physically in FM: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/art.1780401103

More in-depth information has come to light since then of course, but it is still mainly correct as a base understanding.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Why exercise/energy is a challenge for us: hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis disregulation
  • Ila1227
    Options
    half dressed for exercise class. wanted to do dance but couldnt envision dance and strength training so I am doing the second. 1 hour vs 2. But I only do this class once a week. Wonder if I need to do it more for results?? anyone know
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I used to do personal training and physio rehab. 1x/wk will work but 2x is way better if you can handle it. Welcome!
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    I’ve been ill so no exercise for me this week, hoping to feel better and get back to it next week, I was enjoying it.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Not doing much because I also have a chest cold, plus according to my latest blood tests (yesterday), I likely have subclinical autoimmune thyroiditis. In the last 6 months my TSH has risen quite a bit (after several years of being on the healthy low normal end of things) and the doc & I are looking at possibly utilizing a bit of Armour dessicated thyroid T4/T3. Updates to come.
    Still walking approx 4-5 km at work, at least.
  • canadjineh
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Feeling really exhausted, we got a few friends together on Sunday (with 4 full size p/u trucks and two vans) and managed to get my mom & dad moved to their new seniors' residence. Dropped their bookcase headboard on my foot - it's a lovely purple colour although not broken - just ugly in flipflops today. Their old place is still chock full of stuff - oh my, I think I need a rental dumpster, lol.
    How are all you gals doin'?
    @melmerritt33, @dalynnrmc, @Ila1227 - btw, it took me several tries to figure out the first two letters of your handle Ila, I tried two capital 'eye's, then two small 'ells', then a couple combos of eyes and ells. :D
  • melmerritt33
    Options
    You poor thing, it must be so sore! I’ve managed to do a little bit of walking (to the station for work or to the shops) and some minor spring cleaning, really want to get back onto the exercise bike as I enjoy that and it’s not so hard on my hips and knees (I get awful pain in my hips and knees, particularly my right hip which makes walking difficult). I did the bike on Saturday I think but then also did some cleaning which wiped me out for a few days, should have done one or the other not both!
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Did a crazy bunch of errands today, running around like a madwoman. Loading shoes (fancy heels) that mom can't wear anymore, and a pile of XL clothing (she hasn't been that size for at least a decade) - she's medium - into large orange 'trash' bags for donation. I have to do it when she's not there or she will freak that I am giving away her stuff (gotta love dementia :/ ) then off to Value Village for a credit percentage off thanks to the donation. We can use it to get her a few more cute tops and pants in the right size and maybe a dress or two for a special occasion out. Also set up their new phone (more to bring from the previous home), cancelled the old contract, helped Dad get his cell phone adjusted for his hearing issues. Paid bills, found two pairs of awesome wedge shoes for me since I had to donate all my stilettos (arthritis in ball of foot), picked up vitamins, and doc appointment.
    Phew! Away from home from 10:30am (not enough sleep again) til 6pm.
    I feel like dead meat.
    3tb4i0mqemj9.png

• melmerritt33
    Options
    Busy busy, I’m exhausted just thinking about it! Hope you can get some rest to recharge. I had to donate my last pair of wedge heels a few months ago, I couldn't even wear them anymore without pain so only flats for me from now on. Sad, they were my favourite and I always loved heels as I’m only 5’ 2 but I hadn’t worn them for ages so there was no point in keeping them.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    More moving stuff happening, and every time I go back in their place it seems like I never touched a thing. I think stuff breeds in there, mainly vases and knicknacks and dishware. Today I did nothing but chop and cook rhubarb. My 3 plants grow like they are on steroids.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Ahhhh, the shoes....
    May they rest in peace.
    I miss being a 6 ft amazon in mine.
    2gyx1uhmweh3.png
  • Ila1227
    Options
    So excited. Went to my weight class when I just wanted to lie on couch after work! Bug one for me as it is so easy to have my fibromyalgia and life aid me in avoiding exercise. Also was able to do a few things I couldn’t before but not very good
  • canadjineh
    Options
    sharing rhubarb photos with you just cause it's sooooo yummy!
    atidxb6yta54.jpg
    rd2uyvste60w.jpg
    No colour added, and very little sweetener needed - Valentine rhubarb also called strawberry rhubarb (not to be confused with the pie :o )

• canadjineh
    Options
    Strained my lower back moving a heavyish box out of a very awkward deep car trunk two days ago and have barely been able to move - I have been forcing myself to gently stretch, put ice on it, and take extra strength muscle relaxants while keeping up the walking. Feeling better this evening and I at least have been sleeping without pain so I will be back 'in shape' for work tomorrow night. (of course it always happens on time off :/ )
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Update - aggravated the back at work that shift - did ok right up until I had to lift a heavy steel gate on a parking lot, then immediately lost my phone in the lake off the wharf next to the lot. 'Exercise' for me (since I'm off work til it's better) is walking across the street to the mailbox, walking up & down the hallways in my house, driving my folks to the store and walking around with them (at a late 70's/early 80 y.o. pace). At least I can move :p