May we all hit PRs (May lifting thread)

Options
13»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    sorry guys . . . it's gotten like this in the past and when i was lifting actively i really missed the conversations and updates from other people. i am so addled these past two months by the *kitten* going on in my dad's life that the most i do is lie down now and then and wave in the direction of doing my bridges and other rehab.

i did my 2x2, 6x3 ohp at t.day yesterday and they went smooth and strong. so i guess hopefully the hepburn effect is taking hold? other news is that i jumped jobs and bike is clearly going to be the only actually viable way of getting to and from it, so i really should be nursing that hip and trying harder with it. i 'm not sure how it's going to respond to me making the return trip uphill every day.

le sigh, i suppose. but i'm grateful to those of you who keep on trucking in here because the home fires are still burning and i appreciate that.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been MIA. Not a lot of lifting happened last week. Then some did and I was utterly bummed out with it. And life in general has just been hectic and I am so. effin. ready. for things to go back to normal... Anyways, for a while it was just me in here, so glad to see other people were still lurking!

Alright, let's see.

Last sunday I did my last day of squat program. I think it was something along the lines of 125x10, 135x8 and 145x6. With DB snatches 3x3 @50lbs before the work sets. That was it, but I know I added a bit of my own stuff, although I couldn't tell you what anymore. I wasn't keen on spending too much time at the gym, wanted to go home asap since wife was here, so prolly just a bit of shoulder things?

I was supposed to go back and test my squat 2-3 days later (would've been wednesday), but I just couldn't justify going until i drove her back to the airport. And it was an emotional few days. I didn't sleep well. Things just... sucked (they typically do when we have to say goodbye). So I woke up on friday not feeling great, but thinking a good gym session would make me feel better.

Did. Not. Happen.

Moved 155 for 2. 175x1, 195x1... barely. If felt worse than those beatdown squats from the previous 2 weeks. Moved much, much slower than that 1 single at 195 I'd done about 2 weeks prior. But geez, I wasn't going to let 6 weeks of programming result in absolutely nothing. So I figured i'd done 205 in the past, and surely after all this work, regardless of how crap I felt, I should be able to move 210.

I unracked 225 for good measure. It didn't feel impossible to move 210. Changed the plates back. But my headgame definitely wasn't there. I got out of the hole at the bottom and literally folded over. And I can go with excuses like "I misgrooved and shot my weight forward" or "I lost tightness" but the truth of it is, I didn't have the trunk strength/stability to keep me upright outta there. And since I have been avoiding the good morning squat almost entirely for a long time now, there was no way I was saving that one. It's a good thing I had the safety pins. Usually when I miss, I manage to stay somewhat upright so I can sit the weight back down. This time if I had to drop it I would've had to somehow get 210 lbs (which is basically bodyweight) up over my neck on the way down.

1 miss was enough to get me to unload the bar. Wasn't trying that again.

Then I tried to do some double unders. Figured I'd transition into some more "fun" stuff and try to accomplish somethign with this session, but I was doing so awful with it I ended up throwing the rope across the room at some point and just wanted to cry.

Like I said, head game wasn't there. So I packed it in.

Yesterday went a hell of a lot better. I tried the double unders again. Managed a set of 15 at a 3:1 rhythm (3 singles, 1 double). So yep, that's like 45+ single jumps on top of the 15. Not a bad set at all. Then I tried to string more than 1 together - I usually get stuck at 2. Then some kind of magic happened and I was able to get 5 in a row! If I hadn't be so surprised by having that happening, I think I might've been able to get a bit more? Then again, I also wasn't able to repeat the accomplishment even after resting some, so maybe not. But it did happen and it made the whole session feel a lot better.

I worked up to a heavy squat clean thruster. Think I did 75 for 2 singles. 85x1, 95x1, 105x1, failed at 110 once where the bar got stuck around nose level. Regrouped, tried again and managed to lockout 110lbs. That was the heaviest thruster I've ever done (I mean, every single one above 75 was the heaviest thruster I'd ever done! lol. And they were from a clean grip on the bar, and not the grip I would typically use for thrusters, too!)

Then did some floor presses. Think 45x12, 65x12, 85x12, 95x8, 95x9
    3 sets of assisted pull-ups, varying grips. 9/8/7.5

Then yesterday afternoon I went to the park and did
    800m run, 15/30/45 assisted row/pull-up hybrid, push-ups and squats (in order, no mixing exercises)
    400m + 10/20/30
    200m + 25 sit-ups and 25 leg raises
    200m + 5/10/15

Took about 35 mins with the transitions from the track to the playground. I'm not mad at it

I am NOT, however, ready for Murph tomorrow. But I may still go to the gym today again and have some fun. Maybe snatches? I have too much anxious energy.

I'd also not been doing my regular romwod and it does make a good difference in how I move in general. I did 2 of them yesterday. My body feels much more like it belongs to me this morning xD
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    sorry guys . . . it's gotten like this in the past and when i was lifting actively i really missed the conversations and updates from other people. i am so addled these past two months by the *kitten* going on in my dad's life that the most i do is lie down now and then and wave in the direction of doing my bridges and other rehab.

i did my 2x2, 6x3 ohp at t.day yesterday and they went smooth and strong. so i guess hopefully the hepburn effect is taking hold? other news is that i jumped jobs and bike is clearly going to be the only actually viable way of getting to and from it, so i really should be nursing that hip and trying harder with it. i 'm not sure how it's going to respond to me making the return trip uphill every day.

le sigh, i suppose. but i'm grateful to those of you who keep on trucking in here because the home fires are still burning and i appreciate that.

I feel you on being derailed by dad-related stuff. When my dad was in the hospital and when he died, the gym was not even on my radar. It was good to go back when I could, but sometimes life just happens and stuff gets shuffled aside. I hope things settle for you soon.
  • krokador
    Options
    So today ended up being some shoulder stuff, trying to repeat yesterday's DU miracle (didn't happen), ramping up to a heavy set of 5 on deadlifts (did 205 for almost 4 with a double-overhand grip, then 205x5 with a mixed grip) with stability ball push-ups in between (really not a lot of them)

Then some kneeling jumps, kneeling arnold presses, deck squats (which were not pretty, lol) and, uh, some shoulder rehab stuff.

I was gonna get to the snatches, but I wasn't really feeling it. Didn't wanna overdo it before tomorrow, either. So, excuses to not do conditioning. That will have to stop, soon! lol
  • krokador
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Murph time! Happy Memorial Day to the US folks in here :)

I did a half Murph (1 mile rune, 50/100/150 pull-ups/push-ups/squats, 1 mile run).
    First 1600m = 9:07, transition to the playground took about 1:20.

First 3 rounds were around the 1:35-1:45 mark (I was doing 5 push-ups, 5 squats, 5 pull-ups, 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 5 squats to give my upper body more transition/recovery time), then 2:00 for a while, then 2:30+ towards the end. Tracker decided to reset halfway through, I wasn't sure on my round count so I did an extra one to be safe. (as it turns out, I did do 11 rounds instead of 10 xD)

Then last mile took just shy of 10 minutes, I believe. Yuck. I think total time was around 45 mins. burned over 600 cals in the process (including warm-up).

Goal for next year is to get a medium murph (75/150/225) in the same amount of time it took this year. Zwee!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    My gym is finally open! Since it has been closed for two weeks I took it easy this morning:

squats - 5x5 @ 30
    pushups - 5x5 on toes
    inverted rows - 5x5
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Did some skwaats today, complete with my Mother's Day gift of a lifting belt. I didn't lift super heavy but it did feel easier to stay solid in the core, which is always good.

Squats 3/3/3 @ 110/125/140
    Sumo DL 6/6/6 @ 130
    KB swings w/ 30 lb KB 12/12/12
    Weighted step ups 16/16/16
  • krokador
    Options
    I'm finally back into serious programming!

Yesterday: active recovery. EMOTM x10 (1 arm per round, so 5/arm):
    - 3 strict KB Press
    - 5 KB front rack squat

Used my 35 lbs bell. I also did my ROMWOD at night. Zomg that 4 min half straddle. Me an my no external rotation hips. Ouch xD

Today: Minimalist strength, W1D1
    6 min DU practice: ~ 50 jumps, including 2 strings of 7 IN A ROW (not with the 3:1 rhythm.). Wee!

deadlift warm-up 95x10, 135x6, 165x4, 185x2

20 min AMRAP
    - 1 deadlift @ 195lbs
    - 10 HR push-ups (trust me, none of these were unbroken. I was doing singles and doubles at the end)
    - 15 KB Goblet squat (35lbs). 8/7 splits for first 7 rounds, unbroken after

Score: 9 rounds and 7 push-ups
    This sucked a lot more than what it looks like on paper. I was DRENCHED at the end.

Then I did a 3 rounds for time (and quality), 10 min CAP
    - lying DB external rotation x10/arm (8lbs)
    - bear plank KB drags x10/side
    - wall ball plank climbers x10/leg
    - wall ball roll-outs x10

First rounds to 4:40. Basically same with the 2nd round. I got 7 reps of the ext. rotation at 10 mins and finished the other side.

My left trap is a little angry with me today. I must've slept on it wrong, because it was that way before I even started to warm-up. Gonna give my neck some love after work, for sure.
  • krokador
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Phew! Today was a good metcon day!

Started out with some animal walks and hollow hangs/swings for 10 minutes as a warm-up. Tossed in some band pulls and jump rope, although that last part sucked (at first). Then I used the restroom and warmed up my KB snatches with 20x6/arm then 30x4.

Tried the rope again and strung 9 DUs together! PR town again! (Almost, almost had 10. My earbud slipped out of my ear and I'm convinced that's why I landed on the rope xD)

5x2 min AMRAP (1 min rest between rounds)
    - 5 alternating KB snatch / arm (so 10 total) @ 35lbs
    - burpee to 6' target R.A.T. (13/11/13/11/12 = 60 total)

Then I picked up the rope again, and lo' and behold, I got 14. FOURTEEN !!!!1111ONE!!! Double unders in a row. Of course my body can't let me get a nice looking number, but I'll def take it! =D

For time, unbroken pull-ups (did them with a bar in the rack, feet on the floor)
    8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (chin/pull/chin/wide grip pattern) took about 9 mins. Program called for 10 to 1, but I couldn't do more than 8 unbroken, so we will start there.

I tried to do a set of max reps on push-ups, since it's something i want to work on... and got a measly 9. Ouch

Then I did my KB Meta-strength Rx 1: 2x4 min AMRAP (2 min rest)
    - 1 arm KB squat clean thruster x4/arm (30#)

Got 36 total reps on round 1, and 38 on the 2nd. Not too shabby!

Tried to rope again but at this point i was fried.

dillydaddled on the cable pulley machine with low cable crossovers, which I couldn't figure out how to do like that one time a few weeks back, 1 arm face pulls, and cable curls. It was an hour and a half well spent!:)

14 DUs!!!!
  • krokador
    Options
    Well shoot, I tried to edit my previous post and it posted a new one :| disregard the non-edited one, pl0x. Maybe I should ask for mod powers in here so I can fix these things, lol.