Pilates: Megareformer

Options
I've been very much an interval cardio and free weight gym person for years. However, I've read more and more about the Megareformer being a combination of both cardio and weight training. Anyone tried this? Thanks!

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have. It was a nice workout, but still more endurance based as most group exercises classes. I certainly wouldn't get as good as results from it as free weights. Buts it's a good active rest activity.
  • FormerlyWallyAmadeus
    FormerlyWallyAmadeus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love free weights, but since menopause (where I gained my menopowers of being a generally more mellow person with the seemingly contradictory power to care a lot less about what other people think of me), that whole mid-section of me looks like it belongs to a person several sizes larger than I

I've signed up for 20 sessions so I can't chicken out...and I'll report back!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Thanks! I love free weights, but since menopause (where I gained my menopowers of being a generally more mellow person with the seemingly contradictory power to care a lot less about what other people think of me), that whole mid-section of me looks like it belongs to a person several sizes larger than I

Unfortunately I think we can blame hormones (or lack thereof) on that one. I've read over and over that women's fat storage pattern changes as they go through menopause to store fat on their abdomen. Totally sucks. I've seen a few examples of people who've fought it off like Ernestine Shepherd, but very few. I plan to try as hard as I can, but I can already see it gathering on my lower belly where it never used to before. :(
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Unfortunately I think we can blame hormones (or lack thereof) on that one. I've read over and over that women's fat storage pattern changes as they go through menopause to store fat on their abdomen. Totally sucks. I've seen a few examples of people who've fought it off like Ernestine Shepherd, but very few. I plan to try as hard as I can, but I can already see it gathering on my lower belly where it never used to before. :(

Oh drats that sucks, I'm 27 now and that is where alot of my fat goes first when gaining weight. My body starting from the rib cage up is quite thin, I'd rather not have this distribution get worse!
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    kballsocc wrote: »

Oh drats that sucks, I'm 27 now and that is where alot of my fat goes first when gaining weight. My body starting from the rib cage up is quite thin, I'd rather not have this distribution get worse!

All my fat goes between my belly button and the top half of my thighs. I had a DEXA scan a couple of years ago and my trunk (including that lower belly fat) was 7%. My legs were 25%. I look like Skeletor with a belly pouch when I dip too low. LOL