Lentils - friend or foe?

Options
Enzedandy
Enzedandy Posts: 13 Member
I need some clarity as I have read confusing and conflicting information online regarding lentils.
I accept that it should be consumed in small amounts on ocassion, but according to the package for dried Ceres Organics brown lentils in NZ, a 50g serve contains 0.5g fat, 14.8g carbs including 1g sugars, and a whopping 15.3g dietary fibre, which in my estimation makes this a negative/ low carb item and suitable for someone on a low carb diet. Lentils have a low GI index

Can someone shed some light on my thoughts, or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I’ve avoided all legumes but more because they make me crave other starchy foods. The macros you list sound keto friendly.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    A question, does NZ do net carbs on labels like the UK does? In which case the 14.8g has already deducted the dietary fibre. It sounds like it to me, so they are quite high in carbs like all dried beans etc.
  • Enzedandy
    Options
    Hi, and thanks for that. I checked and it appears NZ has the same system as the UK, so the label now makes sense. They will still be consumed every now and then as they are so yummy esp. in winter.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Enzedandy wrote: »
    Hi, and thanks for that. I checked and it appears NZ has the same system as the UK, so the label now makes sense. They will still be consumed every now and then as they are so yummy esp. in winter.

and as we are heading into summer..........winter here you come!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember that the majority of people tolerate a bit more carbs better at their last meal...and that carbs can be burned off with exercise within 30 minutes of the meal...

BUT, lentils are a healthier natural carb. If you use them IN a dish instead of AS a dish, you should be able to fit some in here or there!
  • Enzedandy
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I use mine in a stew of sorts, and only now and then.
    I have a rule not to have any carbs b4 dinner time, and as carbs go, this is a better option as it also offers a good dose of fibre.