May 2018 Basics Challenge: Week 4 (5/22-5/31)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
Repeat of the challenge:
baconslave wrote: »
Welcome to the May Basics Challenge!

Bah, basics! Entirely boring and unsexy, right?
Guess what though? It will get you to your goal. Basics aren't flashy or exciting, but this is how it's done.
If you're wanting to look better in your swimsuit this summer, this is how to get there.

One key thing that I have learned in my journey is this:
Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

Consistently nailing the basics is so important. And consistency creates good habits, routines, and gives you momentum that will carry you through hard times or disruptions to your normal schedule. Forget motivation. Motivation is a fickle thing. Discipline carries you through when motivation fails you.

So what are the basics?
Well, hitting your carb goal, obviously, right? There are other very important basics we need to lock in: staying hydrated, keeping electrolytes up, logging consistently (if you're a logger), exercise (if that's one of your goals), hitting your macros, staying away from trigger foods and other things you know set you back...

You can report your progress to your goal, whether it be ultra-obsessive daily hitting your low-carb plan basics, or working on a fitness goal, or even nailing down other good habits in your life. And if you have problems or need advice, you'll find that here.

Each week there will be a thread to collect your progress that week and to interact with other challengers.
I'll keep links to the weekly threads at the bottom of the stickied post should the thread get buried. 2 clicks, to this post and the Weekly link, will get you back to it.

So go ahead and post your goals in this Thread.
My daily post would look something like this.

Tues 5/1:
Logged: :+1:
Water: :+1:
Electrolytes: :+1:
Calorie Goal: :+1:
Carb Goal: :+1:
Exercise: HIIT :+1:
Prelogged next day: :+1:
7/7

But this is your show. So focus on your basics.

Make this month count! Tear it up!:+1:

Replies

• tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Steps have been less than I'd like but food is good, especially getting in more protein. Surf and turf anniversary dinner plus keto friendly food options at my work conference so far this week. Gardening after work tonight and spin class tomorrow. Hubby picked out some nice high protein meals for the week :)

So much easier when he is on board.
  • baconslave
    Options
    22nd-cardio and decent NEAT
    23rd-strength and good NEAT
    Cals and carbs= A-OK.
    Doin' the thing.
    Same old song and dance. :smile:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    My gym is supposed to re-open tonight!!
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    5/22
    plan it :)
    log it :)
    eat it :)

I'm eating before logging, but making good decisions. I think its better for me to plan and log everything so carbs don't creep back in

5/23
    stayed under carbs even with inlaws visiting :) Did treat myself to some wine. I prefer beer, but the concession was needed.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    NEAT and exercise have been good all week- I make time every day to help cut some stress. Food has been on point except for Tuesday when date night turned into a carb extravaganza. I woke up sore all over the next day which is a new experience for me. I now know a few carbs here and there don’t have a big impact but going overboard had some direct consequences.
  • bozmo
    Options
    5/24
    log it :neutral:

I'm tired of logging. I know the carbs I ate, but putting in each recipe gets a bit tedious at times.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Tore it up with cardio and NEAT yesterday. :+1:

I'll be gone camping later this afternoon again. KIU!
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    5/25

Exercise: 6Km run! yay! Slow but I did it
    Food: planned, and going to stay out of the wine tonight

Going to try to start posting more. I mean to and then it doesn't happen. I think the hardest part of low carb for me is breakfast. I am a bagel-gal. lol. I am enjoying my lettuce wraps at lunchtime though. So good with avocado in them.
    Finding it difficult to go from eating my Oikos 0% plain greek yogurt to 2% or 4%. Just not use to that. I have been adding hemp hearts to it and it really is delicious.

Have a great day everyone
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I forgot to update last week. I did good with workouts. Plus I went to Rock on the Range for the weekend so I did TONS of walking. This week I've been recovering from ROTR so I've been pretty lazy! Hopefully I'll get some hikes in this long weekend and get back on track.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Started walking again today
    Have kicked cravings :happy:
    No night meals
    Trying for keto
  • bozmo
    Options
    Plus I jogged. Yea me.
  • bozmo
    Options
    maureli wrote: »
    I'm slow too. But we are both lapping the people who stayed on the couch instead!! :)

• maureli
    Options
    bozmo wrote: »
    maureli wrote: »
    I'm slow too. But we are both lapping the people who stayed on the couch instead!! :)

Right on! :):)
  • maureli
    Options
    5/26
    Well, yesterday would have been good but it was my father in laws birthday. I ate my usual breakfast and lunch, decided to skip the afternoon snack knowing there would be a carb overload at suppertime. Sobeys chicken (like KFC) pasta salads, potatoe salads, broccoli salad, and of course birthday cake. and wine.

Exercise was good, did a strength workout.
  • bozmo
    Options
    Plan it :)
    Log it :)

My plan was for more carbs. I'm trying to find my threshold where I stay in ketosis.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Food's been great, gardening Friday and elliptical today. Finally seeing movement in the scale again. More gardening and maybe an outdoor bike ride tomorrow since no spin class due to the holiday.
  • bozmo
    Options
  • maureli
    Options
    Food has been right on, feeling really happy about that. I usually don't have a problem with exercise, that I just do. Its food I usually struggle with, so with both going well I am seeing results. Yay!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Warmup
    Squats - 5x5 @ 30
    Pushups - 5x5 - only going down a couple inches, but on toes!
    Inverteed Rows - 5x5
  • bozmo
    Options
    5/28