I’ve overdone it on vegetables and need a fiber break—food suggestions?

Having some TMI issues here. My diet generally involves salad for lunch and something with cauliflower rice for dinner. I have nuts and cheese for snacks. I think I need to give myself a bit of a fiber rest for a day or two but still want to stay keto. Suggestions for meals that are satisfying but not salad or veggie-based?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I'm a fan of meat for meals...baked chicken or pork or a nice steak...sometimes I will have broth to go with it...or make like a brothy soup by chopping up the meat and putting it in the broth...egg drop soup is another favorite of mine...or I'll have a bacon cheeseburger with no bun.

I'm also a huge fan of tofu since it tastes like whatever you cook it in so you can pan fry it or bake it and make it taste like just about anything.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited May 2018
    Not the answer you're looking for but I'd be inclined to consider having "overdone it" on things like high fiber/sugar alcohol smartcakes, quest bars and lily's chocolate bars before focusing on vegetables. That's just me. I've eaten vegetables for a long time with no problems but add in some of the "new fangled foods" with "unusual" fibers and "odd" sweeteners and it can be problematic.

I've had only 1 bout with digestive issues (since eating low carb/keto and it was caused by of all things, a multivitamin, I decided would be prudent to take. I purposely found one with a very low amount of magnesium because I was (at that time) supplementing with magnesium glycinate. That vitamin "tore me up" and it took me longer than it should have to figure it out. I quit taking it and my digestive turmoil ended. I discovered long before low carb/keto that sugar alcohols are not my digestive friend.

I understand that one's body can change over the years but have you always eaten vegetables with no digestive issues? Have you always gotten a large percentage of your fiber from smartcakes, quest bars and chocolate bars with no digestive issues? Have you been eating all of the above in combination for a reasonably long period of time with no digestive issue?

Could it perhaps be that "other fiber" versus salad and/or cauliflower?

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Are you sure it's fiber that's the culprit versus high fat? When I IF, if my fast breaking meal is too high in fat I have issues.

To answer your question: bacon and eggs :)
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    instead of salad for lunch I get chicken thighs from the grocery store and dip them in mayo. No fiber there :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Oh, sometimes I go to the grocery store next door (Giant) and get either tuna salad, chicken salad, shrimp salad, or seafood salad (though it's made with fake crab, so has more carbs)...those are always tasty and easy...or sometimes I'll just grab one of their pepperoni/salami/cheese trays and munch on that, though it's higher in calories, so I can only get away with that on my lifting days.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Not the answer you're looking for but I'd be inclined to consider having "overdone it" on things like high fiber/sugar alcohol smartcakes, quest bars and lily's chocolate bars before focusing on vegetables. That's just me. I've eaten vegetables for a long time with no problems but add in some of the "new fangled foods" with "unusual" fibers and "odd" sweeteners and it can be problematic.

I've had only 1 bout with digestive issues (since eating low carb/keto and it was caused by of all things, a multivitamin, I decided would be prudent to take. I purposely found one with a very low amount of magnesium because I was (at that time) supplementing with magnesium glycinate. That vitamin "tore me up" and it took me longer than it should have to figure it out. I quit taking it and my digestive turmoil ended. I discovered long before low carb/keto that sugar alcohols are not my digestive friend.

I understand that one's body can change over the years but have you always eaten vegetables with no digestive issues? Have you always gotten a large percentage of your fiber from smartcakes, quest bars and chocolate bars with no digestive issues? Have you been eating all of the above in combination for a reasonably long period of time with no digestive issue?

Could it perhaps be that "other fiber" versus salad and/or cauliflower?

I think you're probably right...I have always eaten a lot of vegetables! I'll try skipping the SmartCakes (sob!!) and see if that helps.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    The more I think about it, the more I am going to cut back on those Smart Cake type foods...they've started to encompass too much of my diet (i started with one a day, and then...), and when I think about the weeks I've lost the most successfully, it's been ironically while traveling because they are too delicate to bring with me (they would get crushed in my carry on.) Also, it feels like a slippery slope to eat fake cake.

Back to real foods for me!

I think this is my problem as well I eat those very low carb snack bars from atkins and I have bathroom troubles as well , I think I will cut them out too. go a whole week no bars and see what happens , it is my old eating habit , having chocolate all the time . I know when I buy a box , it's because I have to have the sweet , and that is bad , even if low carb . I also would like to not worry about going somewhere and not having to go to the bathroom 3 times while in a store .
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    I skipped the smart cakes but had a quarter of a Lily’s bar today. So far so good....maybe it’s just about moderation. I also think there is more weird stuff in the smart cakes. It’s basically fiber, sweetener and air!