IBS & LC?

Options
I had IBS severe enough that most days, I was taking medicine I was supposed to use "as needed." I have been doing keto for three months and only just needed to take it last week (might have been an overdose of artificial sweetners plus stress at work triggering it.) It just hit me that it had been a long time since I'd used it and had not called in a refill in months, either. Anyone else see a decline in symptoms? This is my only real chronic medical condition and while I've heard of LCHF helping with diabetes and other illnesses I don't have, I think I can say first hand that it's helped me with my issues!

BTW, my husband just thinks that I am "less stressed" now that I am happy with my weight and that it has to be psychology! That's why I'm asking the Inter Nets what they think. ;-)

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Although I don't have IBS; however, it is very common to hear/read anecdotal stories like yours where eating some version of a low-carb diet either helps manage with medication, reduced problems or eliminates the problem altogether. Congrats on your NSV!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I found I had less gas, bloating, pain, and better bm's when I went very low carb. I don't have IBS, but I am a celiac and my stomach was rarely perfect.

There's a few others here with IBS. I think @Sunny_Bunny_ was one.

I hope it continues for you! :)
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    When I first started LC it was triggering IBS a lot the first week. Maybe the extra oily stuff. But it took awhile to cut back how much I ate.

Well its been a month and now that you mentioned it, I haven't noticed anything recently. Still eating oily things, but less soy/nuts and a lot less quantity, which is/was one of my triggers when combined with food choices.

Give me a few months to be more sure. :ohwell: