Where did June all go?

hanlonsk
hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
Ok, I give up. I still have no lifting to report, but I miss you all. So, I made us a June home. So umm where are you guys? How are are you guys?

Replies

• monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    edited June 2018
    I’m still lifting but just too busy to check in! Going on a big remote camping trip in a few weeks which we are organizing for, daughter has just had handover of her new house and as she is seven months pregnant we are doing most of the moving for her while her other half is away, helping my husband doing all their landscaping in their yard and also organizing her baby shower. In amongst all that trying to get ahead in my work so I can have the 3 weeks off for our holiday!

In saying that got to the gym today. Not getting there for cardio much but at least getting in my 3 lifting sessions a week.

Today

Squats 5 x 40kg 3x52.5kg 5x5 65kg
    Bench 5/4/5/4/3 39kg
    Row 5/5/5/4/4 39kg
    Assisted dips 2x8
    Assisted pull ups 2x8
    Weighted lunges 2x10 16kg

Weight is dropping off, haven’t been to the gym as much but my incidental movement has more than made up for it. Although I’m only set to lose .5kg per week have dropped 1.7kg in last 8 days. 10kg to go :)
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Oh and I like your title, very apt :D
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Sorry I have not been reporting. Busy/depressed/slow/injured again. That kinda stuff. And I just got to work and should do some of that, so the quickie:

Saturday was a 2h workout and I felt great doing it, except for a small twinge in my neck. I did power snatches and worked up to 95lbs. The workout was a 20 min emom rotating between 2DB front squats x10, recline rows (max reps-ish), 2 (lighter) DB drop lunges x10/leg, american KB swings x15 and 2DB power cleans x10

As the day went on neck started feeling worse. The apogee was on Sunday morning when I woke up, and could barely move my head to one side. It's the exact same thing I had early this year (trap & levaetor scap). Guess I haven't been keeping up with my neck strenghtening exercises? So I basically took sunday ENTIRELY off, save for a longish walk.

Thought I could run yesterday morning but 1. it was cold and it rained. 2. I was hit by a wave of way too tired to care. Didn't even walk at lunch (because rain and cold and I was stupidly wearing shorts)

Today neck feels a bit better, although not 100%

Managed to get 20 unbroken double unders, so super stoked about this!

Then I did every 2 min x9 (18 mins total)
    - 3 front squats from floor (105 x6, 110 x3 sets)
    - 6 pike presses
    - banded pull-ups x 9... well, more like 5/6 per rounds. I think I got 46 total? Cleaning the bar + pulling those got to be too much, and I actually had a round I decided not to do any xD

And then 50 power cleans at 65lbs for time: 4:25 Ouch. I used the slimmer bar for these and I shouldn't have. Collar bone is all bruised!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Ok, I give up. I still have no lifting to report, but I miss you all. So, I made us a June home. So umm where are you guys? How are are you guys?

hah. i like the title too, and i'm s o glad you're keeping up the connection . . . plus, sorry :s

i just don't get around to it. i'm doing bridges when i have a moment and when the bum bothers me, but lifting isn't a thing. i go to work at 7-ish, leave at 4, go to the hospital and collect my dad, take him back at 9ish and get home after that. somewhere, at some point, he'll either get back to his house or come live with me here, and then i'll be able to abandon him and get myself back to the gym.

miss you guys too. i hope lots of people report whether they're lifting or not.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    I'm still new, but I'll check in...though my numbers are so low...especially my squats. Today was my first day with this workout since my gym closed for two weeks, so I brought the weights down.

RDL - 1x5 @ 70, 1x5 @ 90
    OHP - 5x5 @ 40
    lat pulldown - 3x5 @ 85 narrow, 2x5 @ 85 wide
  • krokador
    Not as gruesome a session today (I think today and tomorrow are meant to be more active-recovery/mobility than metcons).

I started with some box jumps (not on the program). 18'. 5x5. Taking as much rest as needed between sets, AND reps. Wanna make sure i don't trip up. Plan is to get to 5x10 without tripping before going back to the 20' box.

18 min AMRAP
    - Turkish get-up x3/arm (25lbs DB)
    - Front Rack Walk x100ft (2x35lbs DB)
    - Farmer's walk x200ft (2x35lbs DB)

I got 4 rounds in with 2s remaining. Grip was giving in at the end. Shoulders were blowing. Especially the left shoulder. There is still work to do on keeping it in-socket under heavy load -- which is why this set-up is pretty good, IMO :)

8 rounds of 20s work/10s rest of each (alternating)
    - hollow hold
    - superman hold

Some stretching and neck strengthening

Then some double under practice. I got 12 and 8 unbroken. No PR today, but I'm happy with my overall progress :)
  • krokador
    Did I say it wasn't gruesome today? Did I? Because I'm ALREADY starting to feel the shoulder/arms DOMS settling in now. Oi.
  • krokador
    Fuargh! Another deceptive set-up. Although I couldn't have known because the first time I ran through this program, I had misunderstood the instructions a bit xD

Some mobility work, because important! xD

Push-up unbroken descending ladder. Point was to start at 10, but my No-Matter-What set is up to 9 and that was my max a week ago, so I started there. It took about 7 minutes to get down from 9 to 1, while resting enough not to miss reps.

then 15 min AMRAP of
    - 5 KB windmills / arm
    - 5 KB Goblet squat with a 15s pause at rock bottom

(my mistake had been to note these as 5 KB goblet pause squats AND THEN a 15s rock bottom hold. Makes a HUGE difference to pause 15s on EACH rep!)

sheet wasn't specific about the windmills, so I did the odd rounds with ground loaded and my 35lbs KB, even rounds with a 20lbs DB, top-loaded
    Goblet squats weren't too bad on the first set, but I did end up "resting" my elbows on my legs in a few of those reps. Towards the end my lower back was completely blown out and I couldn't prevent myself from collapsing forward. So, uh, work to do. And hey, if any of you have an issue with "good morning" squats, this may be an accessory worth adding in :)

Now I needa shower and get my *kitten* to work. Such a slow morning. I'm exhausted this week. Need moar sleep. Tomorrow will either be a rest of light run day, depending on the weather and how I feel. 1 week in and I've already added 2 extra rest days xD Oops.
  • hanlonsk
    I ran yesterday, does that count?

And I agree on the long week. I think the way I put it to the boyfriend was “it was a heck of a hump to conquer to get to hump day”
  • canadianlbs
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    I ran yesterday, does that count?

totally counts. like i got back to bike ride and that counts as well.

i got to get down and physio though. except my dad's out of hospital (yay) and has come to stay here. and yay on that too, except i need the side of the couch that he's occupying to do my hamstrings :D

• krokador
    Running counts! I just did 4.75km in 38 minutes during my lunchbreak! Had stupid cramps and my lower back got super fatigued super quick today, but I think if I push the pace a little bit, on a good day, I may be able to get 5k in 35 mins.

I also did some KB core work at home this morning. overhead hold and rack hold high knee marches, bottom half TGUs, superman reaches and hollow rocks.

And managed to string 10 push-ups together for the first time in a long, long time!

Oh yeah, this is a "REST" day XD
  • canadianlbs
    nice krok. PUSHUPS. yee hah.

i . . . didn't do anything. drove my dad a 100km round trip to see family and ate a big lunch in between. totally worth it though. seriously.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Hey all thought I’d say hello seeing as I’m
    Back into 5x5 for a while. Since last time I’ve been focusing on 3x12 & hills training for our holiday....

Anyway first 5x5 session today results as follows:-

Squats 45kg 5x5
    OHP 22.5kg 5x5
    Deadlift 45kg 5x5 & 65kg x3 & new PB 70kg x 1!!
  • krokador
    Took an actual rest day yesterday and all I did was a warrior routine on ROMWOD. zomg 2x3min frog + 2 min half seated frogs. My adductors... Haha.

Back at it today, although still quite sore. I haven't managed to sleep well in a long, long time.

Tried to practice double unders and still kept whipping myself, so filmed it and figured I'd analyze later.

3 min AMRAP - 1 min REST
    - KB 1 arm snatch @ 35lbs : 51
    - KB Goblet Squat : 47
    - KB 1 arm clean & press: 41

Then 4 rounds for time of
    - 10 hanging knee tucks (strict)
    - 30s hollow rock hold
    - 30s side plank on each side

Took about 11 minutes to get through it.

Then I wanted to do a KB Rx but the last one left from week 1 was the 3kb snatch into burpees. And i wanted to barbell snatch, so I modified it a lil.

3 min AMRAP, 2 min rest, 5 min AMRAP
    - 3 barbell power snatch @65
    - 6 burpees over the bar

I managed 2 rounds and 4 burpees in 3 min, then 4 rounds and 1 snatch in 5.

Then watched that double under video as I was determined to try and figure out why I kept whipping my leg and head. As it turns out, my right hand was always quite a bit lower than the left. The rope is a bit short, so being lopsided left me absolutely no room to jump more than once. I think I was compensating a bit when my neck was hurting and the reflex stuck a bit. I was able to string a few 5s, and then 18 in a row at the end of my workout after correcting that, so I have high hopes for when I get my new wodnation heavy rope :)

Think I'll sleep in and rest again tomorrow. Body's just a bit too beat up lately :/
  • krokador
    Oh, right, Saturday sucked pretty bad. I wasn't feeling right. But I still walked like, 4+ miles (7.5km or so) during the day on top of

6 min cap to 100 barbell push press @45 lbs (+ 5 double unders every time I had to set the bar down)
    My DUs were awful on saturday, btw.
    Got 20/15/15/15/20/7 for a total of 92 I believe.

Then:

Every 2 mins x18 mins (9 rounds)
    - 3 pull-ups (seated with barbell) + 3 push-ups
    - 6 2DB drop lunge / leg (2x15lbs)
    - 12 2KB deadlifts (2x30lbs)

I got 7 full rounds, one half (no push-up, 3 lunges and 6 deadlifts) and one 2 min of full rest because I just couldn't. Wanted to quit completely MANY times.

So, yes, second rest day in 3 days is well needed. Lol
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    (Slinking back in as if I haven't fallen off the wagon 17 times already...)

Anyhow, back to lifting!
    Squat - 3x5 at 85 lbs
    bench - 3x5 at 55
    row - 3x5 at 55
    shrug - 3x8 at 55
    skullcrushers - 3x8 at 32lbs
    barbell curl - 3x8 at 37 lbs
    good mornings - 3x10 at 55

I've been skipping the things I don't like. My pull up bar sucks and hurts my hands so I have been skipping negative pull ups and hanging leg raises until I get back in the habit of lifting for more than a couple weeks. The good news...I am buying a cable attachment for my power rack, so I can do lat pulldowns and my beloved cable crunches again!

Anyhow - why I am back...I am back to playing derby, and rock climbing again. Finally starting to feel like myself of 2 years ago, pre-concussion. I have 35 lbs to lose still, but I'm going in the right direction now. My brain oscillating between "I have done this before, I can do it again", to "I can't believe I have to do this again :( ". But at least I am not getting tired walking up 2 flights of stairs anymore.
  • hanlonsk
    K... so still no gym while traveling. At “home” I am kind of moving into boyfriend’s house ... and he has a gym all but in his back yard, so I am transferring my home membership to try and eliminate excuses.

I am also trying a “do better” or “just do something” idea otherwise. It has been hot, and I have been tired, and just full of excuses. So, I am going back to basics, starting C25K over yet again, and telling myself it is just 30 minutes, there are no programming decisions to make, predetermined plan. And maybe if I make it easy enough, and take enoug thought out of it, I can at least get back in the habit of doing something.

If I have more motivation left, I’m also going to try to be consistent at Romwod ... it worked tonight..we shall see.
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Today’s workout

Squats 47.5kg 5x5,
    Bench 37.5kg 5x5 40kg x 4,
    BO row 35kg 5x5

Deadlift 50kg x 5, 55kg x 5, 60kg x 5 & 65kg x 5,

Assisted dips (band) 3 x 10,
    Pull ups (band assisted) 3 x 10

Break from 5x5 training did me well - much better strength than my last attempt
  • krokador
    Took a full rest day yesterday (aside from my nightly ROMWOD. I admit to emitting a little squee when I saw Craig Richey was the model, haha. He's the main reason I subscribed xD)

Still having mighty issues with sleep, so I wasn't exactly feeling it today. Did soem animal walks and bar hangs as a warm-up, then worked up to 105 for a single on the barbell clean and press.

Then the wod was a 20 min AMRAP of
    - 3 barbell clean and press (I used 75lbs)
    - 6 burpee broad jumps
    - 12 bw squats

I made it through 9 rounds on the dot. I had all the sweat, and I basically collapsed after that last squat. Legs were just jelly. I reckon I probably could've handled a little more weight on the cleans, but eh, the burpees might've suffered. They weren't pretty at the end.

I did a bit of double under practice but couldn't string much together, so called it a day. We'll see how I feel tonight, I'm picking up gymnastics grips from an amazon order on the way from work, so maybe I'll try a short KB workout to give 'em a spin!
  • krokador
    Phew. Not enough sleep. Today was HARD

Started off with bumper box jumps. Worked up to 17' x6 rebounding, so not too shabby. Almost tripped once, but good thing about bumpers is they don't tear up your shins if you miss (and it was a minor stumble at most). I worked in some rope jumping with the new rope (which I cut way too long, for once xD) and a set of 12 unbroken push-ups (but maybe I shouldn't have xD)

Then EMOTM x20
    - Odd: 10 2KB Front Squat (30lbs KBs)
    - Even: 10 american KB swing (40lbs)

The front squats got ugly, fast. Swings weren't too bad, but did keep my heartrate up. But the kicker was, only 2 mins rest into 100 push-ups for time (8 min CAP).

I got 28 the first 4 mins, 27 the 2nd 4. For a grand crap total of 53. Couldn't string more than 3 together. I was just so beat up from the previous 20 mins of work I basically recovered as I went along, but my muscles kept getting fatigued. It was a long 8 minutes. Ugh.

Tomorrow's not supposed to be a rest day, but I'll just have to take it as such. I'm underecovering, as they say xD