Keto with high cholesterol

Options
wornoutcowboy
wornoutcowboy Posts: 11 Member
I started doing a LCHF diet in mid November and had great results. I just had my blood work done at the doctor and my cholesterol is sky high, I haven't had a chance to discuss the results with the doctor but will soon. The present results seem to mean I am doing something wrong diet wise. Anyone have any advice for me? I suspect I am not the first person who this has happened to. My feeling is to continue the low carb diet but instead of high fat to eat low fat. So it would mean a low carb and low fat diet. Any advice out there?

Replies

• stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sorry that is happening to you. I started with very high cholesterol before doing keto. I did try to hit all my fat macros but it was hard. Weight loss dropped my cholesterol to where I would not need medicine. Now I just eat whatever is low carb, I don't follow if I'm getting enough fat or not. Wish I had more advice but wanted to say good luck and you got this!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    IMO, it all depends on what is high, and what your cholesterol looked like before.

Higher HDL (which is good) will raise your total cholesterol.

LDL may go up some but, unless the particle size is small and dense, I would not consider that to be a problem.

How are your triglycerides? And your triglycerides and HDL ratio? Triglycerides often go up during weight loss and may take 6+ months to stabilize.

You could be a hyper responder. Some people's cholesterol seems to naturally go up on LCHF but it is not a bad thing in most cases. Have you ever seen Dave Feldman's self experiments with cholesterol? He's shown that when you raise fat, with excess calories, cholesterol falls within a few days. It's interesting stuff.

http://cholesterolcode.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jZu52duIqno
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol and triglycerides passed down from my father's side of the family. So mine have always been a bit elevated. I have been on high doses of medication and now low doses since the beginning of my 30s and always trended high except for HDL. My last blood results were some of the best I've seen since my mid 20s. Total 150 mg/dL, HDL 29mg/dL (best its been in decades), triglycerides 137 mg/dL (best its been in a very long time), LDL 97 mg/dL (very low for me). So while my weight has fluctuated a bit over the past year most of these results can be attributed to low carb and exercise, my goal is drop the medication but I am not sure if that will happen since its hereditary. Another note I had a vascular, ekg, and calcium scoring test done this year that all came back normal. A year ago my blood results were up there even after I dropped a considerable amount of weight on LCHF prior to the blood work, I figured this year would be a repeat but it wasn't. It just took time for me and cutting way back on sugar and alcohol.

I don't necessarily eat really high fat but I don't eat low fat either. I stick to lean protein which satiates me and leafy greens for the most part. My major sources of high fat are probably organic coconut oil for cooking, salad dressing, bacon once in a while, and nuts. While I love cheese I don't eat as much of it these days except for Parmesan crisps now and then.

Was your blood draw fasting? Also when did you have it done and what kind of meal did you have before the test? Sometimes that can affect things as well as overall weight, my blood work didn't start to normalize until I dropped 40lbs and then it still took some time to bring other things inline.
  • wornoutcowboy
    wornoutcowboy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies you guys. I did fast prior no the 8AM blood draw. I had ingested nothing since the evening before prior to having the blood drawn. My TRIGLYCERIDE were 220 and as far as I know anything over 149 is abnormal. My HDL was 49 which is normal but my LDC was 149. My CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN was 5.5.
    I am waiting to hear from my doctor to see if he recommends medication. My own plan of action is to start removing the fat from my diet. I have never been a big meat eater in my life but have started eating a ton of eggs since starting Keto. I plan to cut them out as well as stopping the cheese. I guess I am moving into the direction of low carbs and low fat. I will see where this takes me.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the replies you guys. I did fast prior no the 8AM blood draw. I had ingested nothing since the evening before prior to having the blood drawn. My TRIGLYCERIDE were 220 and as far as I know anything over 149 is abnormal. My HDL was 49 which is normal but my LDC was 149. My CHOLESTEROL/HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN was 5.5.
    I am waiting to hear from my doctor to see if he recommends medication. My own plan of action is to start removing the fat from my diet. I have never been a big meat eater in my life but have started eating a ton of eggs since starting Keto. I plan to cut them out as well as stopping the cheese. I guess I am moving into the direction of low carbs and low fat. I will see where this takes me.

You may want to consider a Feldman like self experiment if you lower fat. Lower it for a week or so and then test again too see if you are on the right track. That way you'll know sooner if lowering fat is actually beneficial to you. (It usually isn't.)

If you want some reading on cholesterol, there are some good books out there. Cholesterol Clarity is a good read. So is great Cholesterol Con and Cholesterol Myth. Dr Peter Attia has a long series on cholesterol and health on his website too.

Good luck.

ETA Attia links:
    https://peterattiamd.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i/
    https://peterattiamd.com/what-is-cholesterol/
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had high cholesterol and was on a statin for almost 20 years with bad ratios and high triglycerides. I started keto to control glucose and lose some weight. I am T2D. after a year on the keto diet more or less, I gave blood, and they provide a few numbers for you on the web portal. My total cholesterol was 153. I stopped taking the statin and called the doctor's office to tell them. My doctor was not very happy with this. My next panel looked about like it did on the statin.

It has now been another year of keto, and I got results of a panel yesterday. It is looking better than it has for a long time.

7fr15l5ei6ie.png
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol will be high while you are losing weight. You are mobilizing fat from storage. It will stabilize some time after you maintain a stable weight.
    To be honest, the only number that I personally would be concerned about is the trigs and fat doesn’t raise trigs. Carbs do. You could go super super low fat and trigs aren’t going to be affected.
    Are you strict on low carb? Having cheats tends to keep trigs high. Maybe you are having something you aren’t even aware of? Alcohol will also raise trigs.
    HDL could be higher and going low fat isn’t going to help that either.
    You really need to watch Dave Feldman’s info before getting too worked up about those numbers. I wouldn’t cut fat until you understand that cholesterol isn’t really the devil we’ve always been told it is.
    But high trigs is a concern. And like I said, carbs raise trigs not fat.