Confused please help

Options
ketobucko
ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
Hi
This is my 1st time on keto I’m coming to the end of my 3rd week & im loosing weight quite nicely but I’m loosing so much strength in the gym it’s unbelievable,I’m really confused on how much protein I should be consuming a day,I did loads of research before I jumped into it & watched numerous utube videos with me coming out of it with you should be aiming for roughly a 75/25/5 split fat/protein/carbs some even saying to go as high as 80% fat,I did the Keto Calculator test with the 75/25/5 in mind & it came back saying around 115g protein per day which is what I’ve been having,the last couple of days I’ve slowly crept it up to about 125 because of my lack of strength,I’m confused as to how high I should go because I keep reading that to much is not good & will kick you out of ketosis,my carbs are bang on always well under 20g a day I’m just confused what split to go with with the other 2

Replies

• 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There are other threads that go more in detail, but basically when you switch to burning fat your strength, speed and endurance all take a big hit. Several people talk about how it takes awhile of being in ketosis before you get back to your pre-keto strength/workout levels/speeds. It’s all part of the process.
  • ketobucko
    Options
    0426Jamie wrote: »
    There are other threads that go more in detail, but basically when you switch to burning fat your strength, speed and endurance all take a big hit. Several people talk about how it takes awhile of being in ketosis before you get back to your pre-keto strength/workout levels/speeds. It’s all part of the process.

Oh really I never read anything about that I obviously didn’t do my research fully that’s great to know thanks so much
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That could definitely be it. It seems to take at least a month for most to get their full energy back, and lose the need for a long warmup. Fat adaptation is a slow process - often annoyingly slow. ;)

You may also want to consider more sodium. If you aren't getting at least 3000 to 5000 mg if sodium a day, that can cause fatigue, muscle weakness and aches.
  • ketobucko
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That could definitely be it. It seems to take at least a month for most to get their full energy back, and lose the need for a long warmup. Fat adaptation is a slow process - often annoyingly slow. ;)

You may also want to consider more sodium. If you aren't getting at least 3000 to 5000 mg if sodium a day, that can cause fatigue, muscle weakness and aches.

Yeah I posted in here last week I think it was about how much sodium a day & it might even have been you that replied,I was feeling dreadful whilst out walking my dog I’ve since purchased some pink Himalayan and take a quarter teaspoon with a water chaser twice a day aswell as salting all my meals & water I’m up towards 5000mg a day now & those symptoms have disappeared,it’s just the loss of strength in the gym but now I know that’s part of the process I’m all good,I appreciate all the advice you get on here it’s been a big help
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think you're right.
    I hope it passes for you soon.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I’m having 0.8gm protein per lb of lean mass - seems to have lifted my strength back up - plus heaps of salts - and try to have some carbs pre workout :-)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It's about building new muscle mitochondria to actually use the ketone fuel for your muscles. You formerly were fueling with glucose. You no longer have glucose fuel, and your body is not yet efficient at using ketone fuel (there are a number of factors). @ketobucko

Look at the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" for more technical info about this process. I don't know if that is actually you in your photo, but if you're mostly out of weight loss phase, you'll need to consume a good bit of fat for actual fuel (if you've got little to no body fat over the essential stores the body requires for famine/emergency).

Generally, your protein requirements should be unchanged from any prior program. If you're an active weight lifter, male, etc., your total protein in grams is probably going to be around 200... I'm not sure on the number, as it depends a lot on your total calories.

In general, carbs are a hard limit (usually between 0-50 grams a day, depending on person and reasons for keto.)

Protein is a MINIMUM GOAL RANGE. You have to eat high enough to support your existing lean body mass - and for any gains you're aiming for. For women, this is generally considered to be 0.8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. For me, generally 1.0-2.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. There are many different calculations for this - some are based on goal weight, some are based on existing weight, some are based on lean body mass - but all the ones I've seen include a bump up in numbers for activity...

Fat is for satiety and fuel. Once in you're done with fat loss (remember, the body has a minimum percentage it tries to hold on to, so if you go below that, it will try to rebuild essential fat stores), you'll need to eat for actual fuel.

Phinney and Volek have a great graphic that shows where your calories come from during each stage of fat loss, etc.

image5.jpg

I didn't read the page it was on, but it's possibly good on that, too..

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/dont-force-the-fat/

Let us know if this helps make sense.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Other than reiterate what @0426Jamie indicated (that adaptation time is often reported), I'll suggest (if you've not done so already) taking a look at or listen to something by Lyle McDonald who seems well respected in the fitness industry. Also Dr. (PhD) Jacob Wilson. Both are have clients who use ketogenic diets in training (from what I understand) and both may be a little less bias or more interested in ketogenic than some other well known/respected body building experts. Below is a link for Lyle McDonald's e-book and a link for something from Wilson. McDonald also provides a lot of information cyclical and target ketogenic in regards to training.

Both of them have innumerable videos on youtube some of which are keto related. They also have websites which you will find via name search (if you've not done so already).

https://store.bodyrecomposition.com/product/ketogenic-diet/

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ketogenic-dieting-frequently-asked-questions.html
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Darth Luiggi on Reddit/Instagram, etc., is a body building on keto...

https://www.instagram.com/darthluiggi/?hl=en

According to this, he FOUNDED Ketogains... So I think he's a great resource, too.

https://www.reddit.com/user/darthluiggi/

https://ketogains.com/author/darthluiggi/
  • ketobucko
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    It's about building new muscle mitochondria to actually use the ketone fuel for your muscles. You formerly were fueling with glucose. You no longer have glucose fuel, and your body is not yet efficient at using ketone fuel (there are a number of factors). @ketobucko

Look at the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" for more technical info about this process. I don't know if that is actually you in your photo, but if you're mostly out of weight loss phase, you'll need to consume a good bit of fat for actual fuel (if you've got little to no body fat over the essential stores the body requires for famine/emergency).

Generally, your protein requirements should be unchanged from any prior program. If you're an active weight lifter, male, etc., your total protein in grams is probably going to be around 200... I'm not sure on the number, as it depends a lot on your total calories.

In general, carbs are a hard limit (usually between 0-50 grams a day, depending on person and reasons for keto.)

Protein is a MINIMUM GOAL RANGE. You have to eat high enough to support your existing lean body mass - and for any gains you're aiming for. For women, this is generally considered to be 0.8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. For me, generally 1.0-2.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. There are many different calculations for this - some are based on goal weight, some are based on existing weight, some are based on lean body mass - but all the ones I've seen include a bump up in numbers for activity...

Fat is for satiety and fuel. Once in you're done with fat loss (remember, the body has a minimum percentage it tries to hold on to, so if you go below that, it will try to rebuild essential fat stores), you'll need to eat for actual fuel.

Phinney and Volek have a great graphic that shows where your calories come from during each stage of fat loss, etc.

image5.jpg

I didn't read the page it was on, but it's possibly good on that, too..

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/dont-force-the-fat/

Let us know if this helps make sense.

Yeah it makes a lot of sense,thanks for taking the time out to post that
  • bigpapawes
    bigpapawes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check out the info and macro calculator over on KetoGains.com, as it shows you can maintain and even gain lean muscle mass on keto.
  • mommafruitcake
    mommafruitcake Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found the KetoGains.com calculator very helpful, as well! It's very integrative and detailed to your needs! GOOD LUCK!
  • mommafruitcake
    mommafruitcake Posts: 32 Member
    Options