Living the lifestyle (LTL) - Wednesday, 6/20/18

Options
minimyzeme
minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don’t) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. “ It’s a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for June are:

Monday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday - calvin2008brian (Brian)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - 88olds (George)
Friday - Al_Howard

Today's Topic: "Free foods" that aren't free for you

This one is a little WW-centric but since that's where most of us got our start, hopefully it works. In the four years I've been on WW, there have been so-called "free foods"--fruits and veggies for which no points are assigned. Have you had any challenges or difficulties eating those "free foods" only to find you've gained weight largely as a result of them? If so, how did you modify your intake?

Replies

• minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I thought of this eating my (small) bowl of watermelon this morning.

It's one of my favorite summer fruits but I found I overdid it a couple years ago. While eating normally and on-plan, but with a significant amount of watermelon, I gained weight over a couple / few weeks. While I couldn't absolutely attribute it to only the watermelon, it seemed to be the likely culprit. I was eating way too much of it and it caught up with me. My WW receptionists still kid me about to this day a couple years later. And to top it off, I had a four-pound weight increase earlier this week. I suspect part of it was watermelon related. (I sometimes have to learn my lessons a few times.)

I've scaled back how much watermelon I eat. I won't stop eating it but I know I have to take it easy. I use a small bowl and make sure it's not heaping / mounded ("no hat" as my WW leader calls it). Enjoy in moderation. I could easily eat a whole lot more of it and tell myself 'go ahead--it's free', but I guess there's really no such thing as free...
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Personally, I haven't struggled with "free" foods.
    But I have to wonder if someone would attempt to do a Cool Hand Luke on boiled eggs?
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,966 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've had this problem, but I remember people going crazy about how bananas were going to make everyone fat (when bananas became a zero-point food). To be honest, it's hard to imagine, but clearly if one blends these things up into a smoothie you can cram a lot of calories into a small volume!

I just quit WW and switched to tracking on MFP (I've been working to take a few extra pounds off). Just yesterday I was lamenting the fact that veggies now "cost" calories (versus being zero-points on WW). At the same time, I also recognized that nearly 2/3rd of my lunch calories were contributed by fruit and vegetables (my lunch was 6 oz of mixed grilled vegetables [72 cal], 3 oz of baked boneless skinless chicken breast [75 cal], and a medium apple [90 cal]).

I specifically changed back to MFP to have a more "honest" linkage between food intake and calories. It's easier for me to follow the "spirit" of a straight calorie-counting program. I was struggling to really buy into the latest WW iteration.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    My Challenge with Taco Turkey chili after WW went to Freestyle with Zero Points. Went way overboard on quantity and had a four pound weight gain!

Cindy pointed out the sodium in all The canned ingredients and I think that was part of the problem.

No matter what I eat I know that limiting the quantity is just as important to remember the quality.

The “limit” to use the FREE food must realize that no matter what you eat HAS CALORIES!

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,014 Member
    Options
    Ain't nothing free. LOL
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    If my boy says he can eat 50 eggs, he can eat 50 eggs.

Apparently, we can all eat 50 eggs. #science

Getting back on topic, I haven't felt the need to rein in my consumption of zero point foods. I guess it's possible, but I don't feel there's anything on that list I'm very likely to go overboard for.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,556 Member
    Options
    I learned quickly that it is Zero Point foods not Free Foods. Portion control and eating to be satisfied turnout to be even more important.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    n5yf12hyzeob.png
    If my boy says he can eat 50 eggs, he can eat 50 eggs.

Apparently, we can all eat 50 eggs. #science

Getting back on topic, I haven't felt the need to rein in my consumption of zero point foods. I guess it's possible, but I don't feel there's anything on that list I'm very likely to go overboard for.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    Grapes. I used to get scale creep when the only thing different was grapes. Lots and lots of grapes.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    When I lost my weight on WW no foods were 0 pts. ( free foods ) When they made fruit free 0 pts. I started gaining and that's were my struggles began and my ML kept telling me to stick with it.
    Even though I do WW online I am now adding the calories also just to keep in check and get on track.