Thanks for the add

Options
ckdprevent
ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
I am new to low carb high fat eating. I like the extra fat I am allowed, but don't seem to be meeting my numbers on the fat. I am starting with a moderate low carb ratio and plan to work down to even lower carb gradually. I've already been low salt and low sugar due to kidney stones, now I am looking at carb load in fruits and veges.

I am a 50 year old obese female with hypertension, ckd 2, fatty liver disease, and hyperlipidemia. I am already insulin resistant in my liver. I hope to turn this around. My husband is also obese and prediabetic; he is now looking to make a change to low carb and low glycemic index.

I look forward to the friendship, advice, and info.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Welcome! @Sabine_Stroehm is our resident low/slow glycemic practitioner. I'm sure there must be others too.

Hope y'all bring some low glycemic conversation to the forum. I'm confident weight loss will help shorten the list of ailments. It got me off blood medication quickly. Weight loss via low carb.
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes I am working to lose the weight too. They physicians say weight loss and daily exercise is the new prescription.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    ckdprevent wrote: »
    Yes I am working to lose the weight too. They physicians say weight loss and daily exercise is the new prescription.

:) I like to look at someone's profile page before replying so saw you have a weight loss goal. Keep the focus. My weight loss approach was moderate carb. I averaged 128 total grams per day.

I think your physician's statement is correct. <3

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Be careful reducing your carbs if you are eating a low sodium diet, your electrolytes can go out of whack very easily when reducing your carbs to a Ketogenic level, and the keto flu is very real and not fun from what I understand.

Because you have kidney stones, I'd like to point you to Dr. Jason Fung and The Obesity Code. He is a Nephrologist in Canada and is a huge proponent of Keto and Fasting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Welcome! @Sabine_Stroehm is our resident low/slow glycemic practitioner. I'm sure there must be others too.

Hope y'all bring some low glycemic conversation to the forum. I'm confident weight loss will help shorten the list of ailments. It got me off blood medication quickly. Weight loss via low carb.
    That's me. I'm slow carb! There are others. Some on the South Beach/Low Glycemic group. Some here.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hello @ckdprevent I am 52 overweight have hyperlipidemia as well , I have lost 49 pounds doing the low carb kind of keto , I eat only 15 to 20 carbs a day and i do add good fats like olive oil and coconut oil to my meals and coffee , and grain fed butters , my Diabetes is controlled right now , my A1c was 9,2 and is now 6.1 , my blood work is all in normal range , I think this is the best way of living I have ever done . BUT lots of people on here lose weight and have better blood work at higher carbs a day , this is just the way I do it ......Good Luck and add me as a friend if ya want !! we can do this oh by the way I need to lose 200 pounds , so I will be here awhile LOL.