Keto & Exercise

Relatively knew to Keto. I work very long hours and although that is no excuse, do not get to work out as much as I should. I would like to know others' experiences with this.

Replies

• lovelili671
    lovelili671 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello! I am new to Keto as well (this is actually my first week and the struggle is real!) and trying to get back into the workout groove. I purchased a subscription for the Les Mills on demand program, so I can pick and stream their workouts when it is convenient for me. I used to do the classes religiously at 24 hour fitness (it was really the only reason I kept my membership there), but all the gyms near me started moving the class times around and it got harder to keep up. They have a variety of workouts: cardio, HIIT, strength, yoga, even guided meditation! And they have some workout plans pre-design so you can just open up the calendar and click into the workout. Honestly, easy to keep up because I really don’t have any excuses.
  • CaitMinusWeight
    CaitMinusWeight Posts: 26 Member
    I'm trying to tone my arms and I love to dance, so I've been dancing while holding some five pound weights. It's fun and doesn't feel like exercise that way. It also allows me to focus on different muscle groups, too! I listen to about 3-5 songs which can put me at about 12-25 minutes. I also use YouTube for quick exercise tips!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    rainy days or really busy days I fall back on YouTube walk indoor video I found years ago or dancing around my house is another go to for me.
  • brieomac
    brieomac Posts: 14 Member
    rainy days or really busy days I fall back on YouTube walk indoor video I found years ago or dancing around my house is another go to for me.

Yup, we're trying to make the post-dinner dance party a family event. Also, this old friend is my back-up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxYJcnvyMw. I do some modifications that feel better on my body and my fitness level, but I make sure I am working the same muscle groups and raise my heart rate.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    I am super busy as well, with a job, a husband and 4 kids. On the days I cannot get to the gym, I try to be as mindful as possible to get as many steps in as I can. For years, I did not put that much stock into walking, but the advantages health-wise and for weight-loss are huge. And taking 15-20 minutes even makes a difference.

When I was younger, I either dieted to stay slim - or worked out to stay slim - but much of the time, did not do both. At my age now (48), and 4 kids later, I seem to have to do both!

Keto is AWESOME, but it is very important to be mindful of calorie count still if you are wanting to lose weight. It is possible to eat keto, and your percentages could be fine, but if you are not eating at a calorie deficit (by reducing calories or burning them through exercise) you cannot lose weight.

Many people often choose to not eat back exercise calories and macros until they are in maintenance. It defeats the purpose when you are trying to lose weight.
  • 1BigMidge
    1BigMidge Posts: 17 Member
    Newbie to keto

Hit ketosis at end of day 3

Just over a week in and struggling with excercise performance

Run times are noticably slower and more challenging

Resistance training stalled to point ive had to deload

Any ideas on when to expect fat adaption and some gains in energy??

Feel free to friend request
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    1BigMidge wrote: »
    Newbie to keto

Hit ketosis at end of day 3

Just over a week in and struggling with excercise performance

Run times are noticably slower and more challenging

Resistance training stalled to point ive had to deload

Any ideas on when to expect fat adaption and some gains in energy??

Feel free to friend request

Everyone is different but I bet your energy level will come back soon. My energy level is super high now which is amazing. Love how I feel eating this way!!
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    For the first month I did keto I only walked. I started working out once I'd been keto for 2 months. If you're new and working out and you don't want to take a break from the gym my best suggestion is to increase your fats. It will help build muscle and increase your energy.
  • lacerka963
    lacerka963 Posts: 14 Member
    when one first begins keto there is an adjustment period... the keto flu... which is due to Na/K relation... to counter it use multi-vitamin and calcium, mag, and stay hydrated... a B complex also helps
  • ebonydivine
    ebonydivine Posts: 5 Member
    When your body is first adjusting to keto its best to not over exert yourself with exercise..keep it simple and build up as your energy levels get better and your fat adapted.
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    brieomac wrote: »

Yup, we're trying to make the post-dinner dance party a family event. Also, this old friend is my back-up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxYJcnvyMw. I do some modifications that feel better on my body and my fitness level, but I make sure I am working the same muscle groups and raise my heart rate.

I like this idea and may try to implement it at our house. I know my youngest two would love it!