JUMP IN June 2018: Week 4 (6/22-6/30)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
Repeat of the challenge blurb:
New month knocking on the door, new challenge!
This month's theme came to us last year courtesy of @kfat1. I liked the idea so much, I decided to use it again this year. And also, it was already dreamed up, and I'm lazy. :bigsmile:
kfat1 wrote: »
JUMP IN June....a motivational challenge? Jump on in, feet first, full steam ahead, make a plan and jump right into it with all your determination, no excuses, just get it done! Make weekly goals,challenges and just jump in and do it! By the end of June, look back at your challenges and see which ones you JUMPED IN and GOT DONE!

Excellent idea!

The challenge starts tomorrow. So go ahead and post your goals, whether it be nailing down plan Basics, increasing your fitness, or adopting healthy habits. Anything is fair game as long as it's in pursuit of your health or fitness. :+1:

Jump on in!
b8aacaba6695bbc94f0df05cd4546bf9.jpg

Replies

• taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Summer has thrown a wrench in the works on the eating front this weekend. Add some work stress in and I’m on a sugar roller coaster for the weekend. I still logged all the things I felt guilty about afterwards and got tons of steps and exercise in. That was the saving grace. Back on the wagon today so to speak.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,688 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Several friends have a monthly potluck. A dairy allergy and red meat aversion make it hard for me to eat out. Deduct carbs now too and it seems nigh impossible. But I found salads, beans and hummus (and buckwheat noodles) and was pleasantly surprised that everything was okay except protein. Guess I'm having turkey deli meat for desert.
  • rgg71
    rgg71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in for week the final week.

Exercise 3 x week (Week 3= :/ 0/3 - injury so I replaced running with sit up's!)
    Log every day (Week 3= :) 37 day streak)
    Net carbs below 30 (Week 3= 26 :) )
    5:2 every week (Week 3= :) )
    Plan fast days a week ahead (Week 3= :))
    Alcohol no more than 3 days per week (Week 3= :))

I haven't weighed in this month deliberately and just stuck to the plan (almost!)
    Hoping for an 'SV' next week!

Anyone else still in there for this month's challenge?
  • baconslave
    Options
    Yeah. Where my peeples at?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm hanging in...eating is good...gym just hasn't been happening. Which is really frustrating. I'm going to clear my head and maybe someone has pointers. This will get long.

I work 65 miles from my home (my company relocated 3 years ago, 10 miles and a lot of bad traffic farther), so I work four 10 hour days: 6:00am-4:30pm. I live in a very small mountain community that doesn't have a gym, so I belong to a gym nearer my work. I leave at 4 am, do my best to get a decent 30-40 minute workout, shower and run to work. This worked well for quite some time.

A month ago, a road construction project started in between my house and gym that closes 3 lanes of the interstate until 5 am. This is making my drive take around 20 minutes longer in the morning which makes the gym not feasible. This project is scheduled for another year.

I don't think I can get up earlier. I can't work out on my way home. The drive home takes 1 1/2-2 hours as it is and I need to see my family at some point. I get home usually around 6:30, spend time with the kids, eat dinner, tuck them in, go to bed.

I guess I'm really just irritated at traffic. lol Yay California! We're working on relocating so that I can stop this drive, but for now, this is what works for our family. The job pays well and my husband can stay home and homeschool the kids.
  • rgg71
    rgg71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I'm hanging in...eating is good...gym just hasn't been happening. Which is really frustrating. I'm going to clear my head and maybe someone has pointers. This will get long.

I work 65 miles from my home (my company relocated 3 years ago, 10 miles and a lot of bad traffic farther), so I work four 10 hour days: 6:00am-4:30pm. I live in a very small mountain community that doesn't have a gym, so I belong to a gym nearer my work. I leave at 4 am, do my best to get a decent 30-40 minute workout, shower and run to work. This worked well for quite some time.

A month ago, a road construction project started in between my house and gym that closes 3 lanes of the interstate until 5 am. This is making my drive take around 20 minutes longer in the morning which makes the gym not feasible. This project is scheduled for another year.

I don't think I can get up earlier. I can't work out on my way home. The drive home takes 1 1/2-2 hours as it is and I need to see my family at some point. I get home usually around 6:30, spend time with the kids, eat dinner, tuck them in, go to bed.

I guess I'm really just irritated at traffic. lol Yay California! We're working on relocating so that I can stop this drive, but for now, this is what works for our family. The job pays well and my husband can stay home and homeschool the kids.

It's a tough one. I would think about just trying to fit something in like a 20 minute run or 20 minutes strength training at home after work (or alternate daily) - free weights/kettlebell are pretty flexible. I find it easier if I do this soon after getting home otherwise it just doesn't happen.
  • baconslave
    Options
    rgg71 wrote: »

It's a tough one. I would think about just trying to fit something in like a 20 minute run or 20 minutes strength training at home after work (or alternate daily) - free weights/kettlebell are pretty flexible. I find it easier if I do this soon after getting home otherwise it just doesn't happen.

Running might not be easy in a mtn community. I have to walk/hike a circuit around our property. Trying to walk/run on our road will transform me into roadkill in short order. :grimace:

@Cadori Well we all know I'm in the workout-at-home camp. But I've found a space at home and invested in a little bit of equipment. And I utilize videos I find online. Use the time you would have done the gym to workout at home. You might not be able to get the equipment to lift heavy, but you can get in good shape with bodyweight and dumbbells. And HIIT videos for cardio. I paid $105 for a set of dumbbells that adjust to up to 52lb each. If I had it to do over again, I'd invest an extra hundred and get the Powerblock adjustables. The ones I have are a PITA. :unamused: Anyway, it would at least be enough that you aren't losing too much muscle or strength while you wait for their bullsh!t to be out of your way. It took a bit to 1) get the kids to understand that this was my time and they need to leave me the hell alone and 2) get into the routine of it so that it is a daily habit I do no matter what. But I make it a priority in my day. Fitter mommy is healthier/happier mommy. So they can go watch something or play something for 30-60min.

I do realize this will be harder for you. Can you jump around like a lunatic to bang weights together at 4am without disturbing people? Or find the gumption to workout after supper when you are DONE with your day? Those are the drawbacks with my suggestion, I get that. When I get the younger kids done with their schooling, I tell them I'm working out, and go do it. But I have the flexibility to do that. They've interrupted me enough before that I've run out of time and had to postpone the rest until after I make supper...guess how pissed off I was!:lol: But I go back and finish.

I hope you can figure something out.
    Cuz if momma ain't happy (because she hasn't had her workout), then ain't NO ONE happy. :joy:

• Cadori
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Can you jump around like a lunatic to bang weights together at 4am without disturbing people? Or find the gumption to workout after supper when you are DONE with your day?

This really defines my problem well. I currently sneak around the house like a ninja in the morning using the flashlight on my phone instead of turning on lights so that everyone else can sleep.

And right or wrong, by the end of the day I am done. Completely drained. Last night I was playing with my daughter when I got home from work and just fell asleep while we were playing. Poor kid.

Maybe squats and pushups in the dark is the answer for now! Or push myself to wake up earlier. Though seeing 3 as the first number on my alarm is a painful idea. :lol:
  • Cadori
    Options
    Or maybe I change my schedule to 6:30-5...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    We talk so much about food, calories, macros, etc here...

I'm currently reading The Blue Zones of Happiness by Dan Buettner. There is so much more than diet and exercise to overall health in The Blue Zones. One of the concepts discussed in the book is commute time, hours spent at work and resulting lack of time with family. I do see a move in your future. Perhaps you could find an audible version and listen to it during your commute. It is a very good book. :) I highly recommend it to those who are living a hectic life and feeling need for a change. @Cadori

• baconslave
    Options
    Can you jump around like a lunatic to bang weights together at 4am without disturbing people? Or find the gumption to workout after supper when you are DONE with your day?

This really defines my problem well. I currently sneak around the house like a ninja in the morning using the flashlight on my phone instead of turning on lights so that everyone else can sleep.

And right or wrong, by the end of the day I am done. Completely drained. Last night I was playing with my daughter when I got home from work and just fell asleep while we were playing. Poor kid.

Maybe squats and pushups in the dark is the answer for now! Or push myself to wake up earlier. Though seeing 3 as the first number on my alarm is a painful idea. :lol:

Yeah. Bodyweight might be the thing.
    Squats
    Lunges (boo! hiss!)
    Single-leg deadlifts
    Push-ups
    Tricep Dips
    And maybe pike push ups?
    We're just missing the back here. One handed milk-jug rows? :joy:

Ninja worthy. Except for the swearing from the lunges. :lol:
    I've never done Convict Conditioning, but the exercises from YAYOG are pretty quiet.
    I hate that you're having to deal with this crap. :unamused:
  • Cadori
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    We talk so much about food, calories, macros, etc here...

I'm currently reading The Blue Zones of Happiness by Dan Buettner. There is so much more than diet and exercise to overall health in The Blue Zones. One of the concepts discussed in the book is commute time, hours spent at work and resulting lack of time with family. I do see a move in your future. Perhaps you could find an audible version and listen to it during your commute. It is a very good book. :) I highly recommend it to those who are living a hectic life and feeling need for a change. @Cadori

I'll see if my library has it. Yes, we are working toward a move for improved family time. Unfortunately, our house is LCOL for CA, but there is no work available. Hence, the commute.

I actually work the schedule I do in an attempt to have more family time. At least this way I have a 3 day weekend every week and we do a ton together...but those other 4 days...oy!

We're looking at selling and moving to a place where CA equity means we can buy outright and work less. It means leaving gradparents and cousins behind, so it's a decision we're making carefully.
  • Cadori
    Options

Squats
    Lunges (boo! hiss!)
    Single-leg deadlifts
    Push-ups
    Tricep Dips
    And maybe pike push ups?

I've never done Convict Conditioning, but the exercises from YAYOG are pretty quiet.

Don't tell anyone, ok? Because I still hate them on principal because we're enemies forever...but from weighted squats and deadlifts...lunges aren't nearly as hard anymore!

And thank you. It helped to at least get it out. I don't want to be a whiny "nothing works, I'll pick apart any suggestion" person, but I'm in a tough pickle at the moment.
  • baconslave
    Options

Squats
    Lunges (boo! hiss!)
    Single-leg deadlifts
    Push-ups
    Tricep Dips
    And maybe pike push ups?

Don't tell anyone, ok? Because I still hate them on principal because we're enemies forever...but from weighted squats and deadlifts...lunges aren't nearly as hard anymore!

And thank you. It helped to at least get it out. I don't want to be a whiny "nothing works, I'll pick apart any suggestion" person, but I'm in a tough pickle at the moment.

:joy::joy::joy:

I completely get that you're in an almost impossible situation here. :disappointed:
    Night-vision goggles might help. :tongue:

^Sorry. I am very face-y today.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It means leaving gradparents and cousins behind, so it's a decision we're making carefully.

Bummer. Extended family. Another integral part of The Blue Zones of Happiness.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @Cadori : When I was strapped for time one year, I would put my headphones on (no one was disturbed) and do floor stretches and sit ups, etc. for 25 minutes each morning or evening, whichever fit the schedule. I figured something was better than nothing.

This week I managed to drop two pounds, hallelujah to that!! I did this by doing a fat fast for two days. Would have liked to extend it another day or two but didn't feel up to it.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    6/27/18
    A weekend away with the girls for birthday celebrations. Need i say more. Much indulgence. However, still got in my run.
    Back at it!
  • baconslave
    Options
    Bright ideas for a July challenge?
    I'm going to have to get it up tomorrow. I'll be camping until Tuesday.
  • Cadori
    Options

Would Julike to get your rear in gear Jessica???

That may be a little too custom however.
  • baconslave
    Options

Would Julike to get your rear in gear Jessica???

That may be a little too custom however.

:joy:

Get Yer Rear in Gear July 2018!
    Lurve it.