Will to much protein per meal kick me out of ketosis

Options
ketobucko
ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
Hi
I’m currently doing 16/8 if,I eat 2 meals a day my 1st around 12 pm & 2nd about 7pm,my current protein intake a day is around 130g so I’m having to get around 60-65g per meal,what I’d like to know is whether that is to much at once on keto,will it cause my body to covert the excess to glucose
Cheers

Replies

• mommafruitcake
    mommafruitcake Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi! Actually, from what I understand, yes! When you consume more protein than your body can use, it converts the excess to glucose of some form another. Gluconeogenesis. I’m not an expert or even claim to fully understand it, it’s just what I read!

https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/gluconeogenesis.html
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I have never used keto sticks or anything, but I have checked blood glucose after high protein meals (like 65 g). I limit net carbs to 20 a day, so I am reasonably confident I am burning ketones. If there is this "convert to glucose" effect, I don't see it in my bg readings despite the warnings. It could be different for you. I say check and see.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    No. It will not turn the protein you don’t need into glucose.
    Your body only turns protein into glucose when it needs glucose. No matter how much protein you eat. You will not just make more of it into glucose.
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html?m=1
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Hi! Actually, from what I understand, yes! When you consume more protein than your body can use, it converts the excess to glucose of some form another. Gluconeogenesis. I’m not an expert or even claim to fully understand it, it’s just what I read!

Learn more here. Your current understanding is an outdated view that just don’t die.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Not likely.

Yes, the body can convert protein in to glucose via gluconeogenesis, but it only does that in the absence of other fuel. The body's preferred fuel/energy is ketones, and if you are producing ketones, the body is adequately fueled. As long as you are eating enough or as long as you have fat to burn for fuel, the body will not make glucose, even if you have depleted your glycogen stores.
  • mommafruitcake
    Options

Learn more here. Your current understanding is an outdated view that just don’t die.

Thank you. I'll check it out. Like I said, no expert, it was just my understanding. I'm very open to learning and appreciate your advice.
    Not likely.

Yes, the body can convert protein in to glucose via gluconeogenesis, but it only does that in the absence of other fuel. The body's preferred fuel/energy is ketones, and if you are producing ketones, the body is adequately fueled. As long as you are eating enough or as long as you have fat to burn for fuel, the body will not make glucose, even if you have depleted your glycogen stores.

Thank you for explaining this!!! This actually makes sense. Thank you thank you!

Man...Google is filled with all kinds of contradictory information. This is reassuring because one of the issues I run into on a regular basis is too much protein, which leaves me in a state of anxiety that I'm going to eventually knock myself out of ketosis. Very good to know!
  • ketobucko
    ketobucko Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, some great info as usual on here,I’ll stick to what I’m doing then & stop second guessing most of what I’m doing
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    From what I've heard, BG does not usually start going up from protein until one has eaten excessive amounts of it, like 200-300+ g in a day. Some T2Ds may find moderate protein raises their BG somewhat, but I am guessing that would improve as their insulin resistance reverses itself.

For most people, slightly lower ketones aren't a problem. It's mainly those who need higher ketones for medical reasons that may need to avoid high protein. I wonder if that could be counter balanced with increased MCT oil? Hmm.

This lecture is a good one on how glyconeogenesis is demand driven.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fO5aTD6JU
  • bigpapawes
    bigpapawes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have done extensive n=1 research on this subject after I felt my results were getting hindered. For ME personally the type of protein matter even more than the amount.
    I can eat an 18 oz steak (over 100 gr) and have no affect. Yet I can consume 60gr of high quality whey isolate and create a insulin spike(probably due to the high rate of absorption). Depending on where I am in my fat adaptation process the affect varies from keeping from obtaining deep Ketosis to having Keto Flu like feeling for an hour or so.
    I now stick to slower digested proteins when I work out. Egg, collagen, whey concentrate, etc.
    By the way I consume about 220gr of protein a day which is roughly 35-40% of my caloric intake. Been in Ketosis for months!!!!
  • bigpapawes
    bigpapawes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ketobucko wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for all the replies, some great info as usual on here,I’ll stick to what I’m doing then & stop second guessing most of what I’m doing

Also for some good info listen to Dr Gustin pod cast. Your question is not a simple yes or no. Factor such as training level, amount of protein synthesis the body is performing, etc all play a role in how your protein intake is utilized.
  • mommafruitcake
    Options
    bigpapawes wrote: »
    I have done extensive n=1 research on this subject after I felt my results were getting hindered. For ME personally the type of protein matter even more than the amount.
    I can eat an 18 oz steak (over 100 gr) and have no affect. Yet I can consume 60gr of high quality whey isolate and create a insulin spike(probably due to the high rate of absorption). Depending on where I am in my fat adaptation process the affect varies from keeping from obtaining deep Ketosis to having Keto Flu like feeling for an hour or so.
    I now stick to slower digested proteins when I work out. Egg, collagen, whey concentrate, etc.
    By the way I consume about 220gr of protein a day which is roughly 35-40% of my caloric intake. Been in Ketosis for months!!!!

This is interesting to me because I have the same reaction to whey isolate protein. I've been using a bone-broth protein recently, and it does not affect me in that way. Quite the opposite, really. My husband also feels incredibly sluggish after a whey isolate or even plant-based protein. It's actually reassuring to hear that this happens to other people.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Way more than you will ever consume eating whole foods. I've had 300g+ days, and still registered in ketosis on blood ketone strips. I've had single meals over 140 grams, and was still in ketosis when I measured a couple hours later.

I do believe that protein powders and whey isolate could probably have an effect. I haven't tested my blood in conjunction with using those. But, you won't (likely) do it with whole foods.

Caveat: Unless you're diabetic. Runaway gluconeogenesis can occur in diabetics, where protein does cause higher spikes in blood sugar. Enough to kick you out of keto? I can't answer that. But, that is one factor that might make my experience moot.