Just wanted to say hi!

Options
mommafruitcake
mommafruitcake Posts: 32 Member
Hi!!

My name is Ashley (aka, Fruitcake - thank you for that, husband).

I've been lurking around, commenting a bit, for a few days! Been Keto for a little over 2 months with one two-ish-week period of not tracking regularly (that's why I'm here). I was actually using Stupid Simple Keto to track before, but it's since tracking here that my results have truly amped.

I finally reached a goal weight today that I've been lingering right above for WEEKS now. Five days with a more detailed and integrative system, along with a community full of insight, has been incredibly helpful!

Thank you!

This seems like a truly informed group of folks with open arms! I've already learned quite a bit from you guys, even a few things I thought I knew that turned out not to be true!

My biggest obstacle is not diet so much - I'm fairly disciplined in what I eat after YEARS of GI issues. My road hump is evolving into a regular exercise routine while working around four kids, a business, homeschool, traveling, a toddler who is still waking up every three hours, two dogs, work camping, building websites, and all of the other things that come with regular life. LOL.

Does anyone know where you can buy one of those machines that you just lay on and plug your muscles in?

Also, how long have you been at Keto? I find it super easy to maintain, much less difficult than I first imagined. What have your results been thus far? Are you doing it for weight loss, medical reasons, etc?

Also, please be my fren. :D

Replies

• iceneyes
    iceneyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 days in! Need any advice? Lol!

I'm in it because I kept losing and regaining on traditional calorie restricted diets. I have a handful of friends that have been very successful in Keto. Also, my wife has been super supportive by joining in.

I'll buy one of those machines.
  • Re_Banana
    Re_Banana Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for about 6 weeks. I didn't weigh in right from the beginning so I can't really say for sure what my weight loss has been like total. I'm amazed at how easy it is to refuse/ not crave sugar and carbs. My goal is for some weight loss but I really just wanted to FEEL better. I was so tired of the fatigue and keto has helped so much!

Also sending you a friend request!
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi @mommafruitcake and welcome! I've sent you a friend request. And to answer your questions:

I just passed my 4 month mark doing keto last Saturday. I started doing it for the health benefits: type 2 diabetes, overweight, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. I wanted to just overhaul my whole way of eating, because I was sick of injecting over 100 units of insulin daily, and taking endless amounts of pills.

Well, I no longer inject any insulin, and I've cut back tremendously on my other prescriptions to just 3 or 4, and I've lost over 30 lbs. So I'm a huge advocate that keto works if you can stick to it. But I also feel it's not a quick fix, because I'm in this for life. I want to continue to lose weight until I reach my goal weight, which I'm not too sure of. Just depends on how satisfied I am, but my goal weight loss right now is 100 lbs. Less than 70 lbs to go!

I'm no expert at keto by any means, but I can try and answer any questions. I do a lot of reading and research, just because I enjoy it. And that's me! ^_^
  • mommafruitcake
    Options
    iceneyes wrote: »
    I'm 3 days in! Need any advice? Lol!

I'm in it because I kept losing and regaining on traditional calorie restricted diets. I have a handful of friends that have been very successful in Keto. Also, my wife has been super supportive by joining in.

I'll buy one of those machines.

@iceneyes CONGRATS!! I know that feeling SO well! I was actually vegan for years, gluten-free due to gastro and hormonal issues (yay), and have not touched a soda, fast food, or anything that's not considered WHOLE foods for years. YEARS.

STILL COULD NOT MAINTAIN A LOSS. I gained 66 lbs at one point in 6 months. Insane. 66-6, anyone? DEVIL FAT. HAHAHA.

One day I spoke with a holistic dietician/naturopath (who was surprisingly vegan, which really caught my attention) who gave me loads of info on keto and explained how it can help to regulate hormones. Sometimes are bodies are okay with carbs, and sometimes they need a break. Sometimes they need an infinite break from the carbs.

On a vegan diet, every source of protein is carb-laden. I actually keto as a vegan, and there were so many restrictions that I just could not maintain.

So this was a huge transition for me, lots of food fears (it's hard not to acquire those when everything you eat either makes you gain 15 lbs or explode from both ends...ha...ha...) that have built up over the years, but so far I feel SOO much better. And secondary to that, the scale is finally moving down. DOWN. Not UP. Amongst the increased energy, mental clarity, skin issue disappearances, and my *kitten* shrinking lies somewhere the will to continue. HAHAHA. All of the benefits make it worth it not to gorge myself on brown rice and salsa.

It's wonderful that your wife is in with you! I wish I could get my hubs in here. He refuses to give up his carrot cake and wine, though. Le sigh...

CONGRATS AGAIN! You're gonna love it! And if you mess up, no biggie. That's one of my favorite about things about this diet. If I screw up, I can simply just get myself back into ketosis and not obsess over the harm I've done. It just seems to reverse itself so fast if I correct within even a week. That's a nice feeling - some level of control of your body in a, I guess, scientific sense. You understand what's happening, and you can create that or decide to take a break if you want. You know exactly what to do to return to ketosis and understand exactly why you might be stalling or weight is coming back. Simple little fixes with no guessing games. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but it truly has helped me obviously in the physical sense but also emotionally - I have control over what my body is deciding to do. I have never had that before.

SCORE KETO. WHOOP!
  • mommafruitcake
    Options
    Totally wish I could figure out how to edit my typos and grammar. HAHA. *our* not *are*
  • mommafruitcake
    Options
    OMG...and I don't know why the system said kitten instead of *kitten*...omg omg omg omg omg. Not my kitten shrinking. I'm so sorry. That's supposed to be my BUTT SHRINKING
  • mommafruitcake
    Options
    Re_Banana wrote: »
    I've been doing keto for about 6 weeks. I didn't weigh in right from the beginning so I can't really say for sure what my weight loss has been like total. I'm amazed at how easy it is to refuse/ not crave sugar and carbs. My goal is for some weight loss but I really just wanted to FEEL better. I was so tired of the fatigue and keto has helped so much!

Also sending you a friend request!

@Re_Banana IT IS, isn't it!!!? I LOVE THAT! Sometimes I'll still get a craving, and every once in a while I give in for something sweet, but it's no biggie. I don't feel the need to gorge myself. And it stalls things a bit, but this is a long-term endeavor, so treats are necessary, right? EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. To have a good relationship with food. :)

YES! Yes, yes, yes. That's one of the things that drove me here - fatigue and mental fog. The day before I visited the dietician, I wandered around the store for nearly 45 minutes trying to remember my four-item grocery list. NOT OKAY. Something is not okay when that's your normal state of being. That has disappeared on this diet. HALLOW BRAIN RETURN? How have you been?

I'll go check out requests! THANK YOU!
  • mommafruitcake
    Options
    Hi @mommafruitcake and welcome! I've sent you a friend request. And to answer your questions:

I just passed my 4 month mark doing keto last Saturday. I started doing it for the health benefits: type 2 diabetes, overweight, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. I wanted to just overhaul my whole way of eating, because I was sick of injecting over 100 units of insulin daily, and taking endless amounts of pills.

Well, I no longer inject any insulin, and I've cut back tremendously on my other prescriptions to just 3 or 4, and I've lost over 30 lbs. So I'm a huge advocate that keto works if you can stick to it. But I also feel it's not a quick fix, because I'm in this for life. I want to continue to lose weight until I reach my goal weight, which I'm not too sure of. Just depends on how satisfied I am, but my goal weight loss right now is 100 lbs. Less than 70 lbs to go!

I'm no expert at keto by any means, but I can try and answer any questions. I do a lot of reading and research, just because I enjoy it. And that's me! ^_^

@DaniDragonflyx Thank you! I'm headed straight to the requests after this!

That is amazing!!!! Simply amazing. Congrats so many times over! When someone tells you that this is some kind of fad-extreme way of eating, you can point at your results and say, "NO. My body says otherwise. Yeah? NOW SHUT UP." HAHAHAHA.

Thank you so much! I'll definitely tag you in future questions! It's so nice to meet you!

It's so nice to meet you all! <3
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    OMG...and I don't know why the system said kitten instead of *kitten*...omg omg omg omg omg. Not my kitten shrinking. I'm so sorry. That's supposed to be my BUTT SHRINKING

"Kitten" replaces any word MFP perceives to be a naughty/swear word. You maybe typed *kitten*?
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

"Kitten" replaces any word MFP perceives to be a naughty/swear word. You maybe typed *kitten*?

That's *kitten* amazing! ^_^
  • mommafruitcake
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

That's *kitten* amazing! ^_^

@kpk54 and @xDaniDragonflyx HAHA! I figured that...it was ar$e. Just really not the best sentence for the word *kitten* to replace! HAHAHAHAHAHA.