Keto Tips + Things I'd Wish I'd Known

Options
I was sifting through the Community Message Boards just now and came across someone asking for Keto Tips. There are tons of things to know about Keto and I'd love your input! Please feel free to leave any tips you've found helpful or things you wished you'd have known when first starting Keto.

Replies

• ratclifflisa5765
    ratclifflisa5765 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can you give me a listing of meals that go with your daily diary?l have my first week planned and entered but i don’t have any wiggle room for snacks and I would like to see what you do please??
  • brieomac
    brieomac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should know this...but does the tracking system automatically determine net carbs?
  • CaitMinusWeight
    CaitMinusWeight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can you give me a listing of meals that go with your daily diary?l have my first week planned and entered but i don’t have any wiggle room for snacks and I would like to see what you do please??
    This is just an example. Sometimes it's easier to find "like" items as well. For example, I went to dinner with family at a small local restaurant, therefore their menu is not on MFP. Sometimes you have to guesstimate. Also, I go off net carbs. Some people chose to do Total carbs. For me net carbs works and is giving me the desired results I'm looking for, for now at least. Also, I'm not a doctor lol Please consult your physician before making any dietary changes. :D
    01b20npsyrg2.jpg
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    @CaitMinusWeight Is there honestly a sugar free Dilly Bar? I miss Dairy Queen!
  • jaciromeo263
    jaciromeo263 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    @CaitMinusWeight MFP does not track the net carbs right? So are you doing that manually? TY!
  • CaitMinusWeight
    edited June 2018
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    @CaitMinusWeight Is there honestly a sugar free Dilly Bar? I miss Dairy Queen!

The dilly bar is no sugar added, but it's definitely not sugar free.
  • CaitMinusWeight
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @CaitMinusWeight MFP does not track the net carbs right? So are you doing that manually? TY!

The MFP app doesn't track net carbs, so I do that manually. But, there is a script you can download for Net Carb tracking if you use the web-based MFP.
    This is where I found the instructions to do that:
    https://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

Hope that helps!
  • CaitMinusWeight
    Options
    armymil87 wrote: »
    I’d also recommend ensuring you take daily multivitamins, potassium pills, and magnesium pills while on the Keto Diet.

Yes, great suggestion! The first time I ever tried Keto, I got a lot of muscle cramps and this was suggested.
  • dmbjewel71
    dmbjewel71 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    brieomac wrote: »
    Perhaps I should know this...but does the tracking system automatically determine net carbs?

I checked all the help areas for this on the site and found that the site people say they can’t calc net carbs due to users being all over the world and some products in other places are already recorded as net: so I don’t think they’ll ever do net carbs😭
    What I did is arrange my stats in order of fat then carbs then fiber and finally protein. I set my carbs goal to 16 (that’s what I am allowed based on maintaining percentages of the total calories I should take in based on my weight and height). Then I set fiber to 0 (since it’s not a goal). The totals at bottom help me quickly do math of total net carbs for the day
  • dramacat21
    dramacat21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    CaitMinusWeight posted this above and I’ve reposted below. Today I downloaded the link (cavemanketo.com) to my computer and now my daily results show a net carbs column next to my total carbs. I followed the suggestion to stop tracking “sugar” since it falls within carbohydrates and selected fiber (so it can subtract the fiber from the total carbs in the table). Very helpful today!!

The MFP app doesn't track net carbs, so I do that manually. But, there is a script you can download for Net Carb tracking if you use the web-based MFP.
    This is where I found the instructions to do that:

https://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

Hope that helps!

• jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Very helpful info.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I moved my Fiber column to be placed right next to my Carb column so that the calculation could be done easily with a glance!
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My biggest help at the beginning when it came to headaches, cravings, mood (keto flu symptoms) was to stay on top of electrolytes. ALL of those symptoms can be avoided if you have the proper amounts of sodium, magnesium and potassium
  • brieomac
    brieomac Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What are some remedies that folks have used to battle the nail polish remover taste in your mouth? While I was thrilled to get such a clear sign of ketosis, I am less than thrilled with the feeling that I can strip paint with each exhalation.