Can’t eat calories.

JordisTSM
JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
So I’m two weeks in to Keto and am supposed to be eating around 1,900 calories, which was easy the first week and a bit. However the last few days I’ve only been able to get over 1,200 by having a bulletproof hot choc before bed.

Today is even worse. Didn’t want to eat until lunch and made something quite filling. Now it’s dinner time and I just don’t want anything. But I don’t want to end up eating 600 calories either.

I’ve entered another bulletproof hot choc in to my diary for tonight and am forcing myself to have a bit of cheese with aioli, but even that only brings me to 1,100.

Is this normal once you get Keto adapted and settles again?

I could up my carbs a tad to have some non-filling foods to keep the calories up but to be honest I’m a bit scared of doing that cause I don’t want to slide back in to my old way of eating. I’m way too big to even consider that.

Any advice?

Thanks

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    I follow Intermittent Fasting together with keto so my eating window tends to only be 1-4 hours a day and, like you, I'm soon feeling full. My go to snacks for healthy extra calories are:-
    • Brazil nuts - 10 nuts 330cals 2g net carbs
    • Avocado - 1 cup 160cals 2g net carbs
    • MCT oil - 1 tbsp 155cals 0g net carbs
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    FWIW, I treat the protein as a goal to meet or exceed. Sometimes the calories are low, but the deficit is in the fat and the carbs. The keto diet works very well to control my hunger. I have been keto since October of 2016, so I claim I am about as "adapted" as I am going to get.
  • JordisTSM
    That’s a point. I’d forgotten about nuts :smiley:

I’ve never been able to do IF before, but it may end up working out that way with Keto. Wish I’d tried this sooner, had no idea how easy it would be. No cravings, no feeling restricted. Awesome.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    My advice don't force yourself to eat! As @2t9nty says make sure you have enough protein and keep the carbs low. Don't add more fat than you want to eat as I'm guessing you want to loose weight? You haven't said how tall you are and for a short, non work out person like me 1900 cals sounds a lot. For most people the first result of Keto is lack of hunger, that's one reason that it works so well. Personally I have a coffee with some cream in the morning and that's just because I like it. Then I'm unlikely to eat until 3 or 4 pm then I probably have dinner about 7 or 8 pm. No snacks as I just don't think about them. I'd take advantage of the lack of hunger, don't force yourself to eat, make sure you have plenty protein and if you feel hungry eat! Also in a week or two you may find you want to eat a bit more or some days you may want to. Just don't add carbs!!
  • JordisTSM
    Yeah. I’ll stop worrying and just take it day by day.

The calories are right at 1,900. That’s what happens when you let yourself get to 380 :blush:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Yeah. I’ll stop worrying and just take it day by day.

The calories are right at 1,900. That’s what happens when you let yourself get to 380 :blush:

Reading your profile and guessing age at around 37 or so, based on what you've written and plugging in an average height, I'd estimate that 1900 calories (for a 2 pound per week weight loss) is about right.

I'll concur with whoever above indicated to eat some nuts. You later commented you like them so eat! It's not hard to eat a couple hundred calories in nuts. Enjoy them.

Trust me, as you lose weight, you'll have to reduce calories soon enough to continue to lose. I have an unpopular opinion of "He/She who can eat the most and still satisfactorily lose, WINS".

I'm not suggesting to stuff yourself. I'm suggesting to be sensible. Fuel your body. Adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing. Some people get all enthralled at the hunger suppression and cut calories to the bare bone then run into some real problems later in final weight loss stages or maintenance. The Biggest Loser (the show) post weight-gain problems are not isolated to those only on the show. It is reported that 80% of the people who lose weight, gain it back. I've read as high as 95. Adaptive thermogenesis occurs, ghrelin production kicks up, leptin falls. It can be a real bummer.

Pay attention to your eating habits...
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Your appetite will return whenever u need more calories. Maybe u don't need much right now
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,672 Member
    I could up my carbs a tad to have some non-filling foods to keep the calories up but to be honest I’m a bit scared of doing that cause I don’t want to slide back in to my old way of eating. I’m way too big to even consider that.
    This sounds very wise, Jordis. I don't know about keto adaption but do know about carb addiction. Are there other ways to add calories besides resorting to an old WOE? And do you need to eat 1900? Are you okay eating somewhat less, like around 1500 or 1200?

But either way, it sounds like you need a comfortable healthy way to eat more. I was wondering would it help to...
    • Nibble on good snacks? I know you're not hungry, but can you keep stuff out during the day and just pop a handful of peanuts, olives, or whatnot in your mouth when you walk by?
    • When you cook eggs, meat, veggies, swirl them in a couple Tablespoons of (I use olive) oil: tasty & more calories.
    • Add-in good flavors and calories that aren't bulky (like cooking in more oil, above), hummus, good lo-carb vegetable sauces, guacamole, aioli, other creamy sauces, melted cheese, or just toss nuts into your foods (they're good)...
    • Eat just-parts of meals at a time, like cold chicken, or your cheese and aioli (sounds yummy), or just whatever you fixed to eat that day - Can you just take bites during the day - it doesn't need to be a lot - just a bite or two. Then put the rest of the serving aside. Read a book or whatever. Take more bites a few minutes later, etc... nibble, nibble, nibble all day :)
    And count what you nibble or add so you can track it - it sounds important that you know how much you're actually consuming.

Wishing you the best.
  • JordisTSM
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    This sounds very wise, Jordis. I don't know about keto adaption but do know about carb addiction. Are there other ways to add calories besides resorting to an old WOE? And do you need to eat 1900? Are you okay eating somewhat less, like around 1500 or 1200?

But either way, it sounds like you need a comfortable healthy way to eat more. I was wondering would it help to...
    • Nibble on good snacks? I know you're not hungry, but can you keep stuff out during the day and just pop a handful of peanuts, olives, or whatnot in your mouth when you walk by?
    • When you cook eggs, meat, veggies, swirl them in a couple Tablespoons of (I use olive) oil: tasty & more calories.
    • Add-in good flavors and calories that aren't bulky (like cooking in more oil, above), hummus, good lo-carb vegetable sauces, guacamole, aioli, other creamy sauces, melted cheese, or just toss nuts into your foods (they're good)...
    • Eat just-parts of meals at a time, like cold chicken, or your cheese and aioli (sounds yummy), or just whatever you fixed to eat that day - Can you just take bites during the day - it doesn't need to be a lot - just a bite or two. Then put the rest of the serving aside. Read a book or whatever. Take more bites a few minutes later, etc... nibble, nibble, nibble all day :)
    And count what you nibble or add so you can track it - it sounds important that you know how much you're actually consuming.

Wishing you the best.

Thanks. And trust me, I am the Aioli Queen. Very little gets cooked in my house without it :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I remember asking the same question about a year ago. :). Mist of the advice I got was along the same lines as what you are getting: try to meet your protein goal (get reasonably close) and then enjoy the temporary lack of hunger. A few days if 1200 kcal won't hurt you, and adequate protein will help you avoid losing lean tissue.

I would just say not to let it go too long. If it's lasting more than a week or so, you may want to push yourself to get a bit more food. Otherwise, I think it's a good thing to learn to listen to your hunger cues. :)

JMO
  • PaulChasinDreams
    PaulChasinDreams Posts: 439 Member
    edited July 2018
    Try adding a protein shake. I barely use any liquid with mine. I only use 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk per full scoop of protein powder. And if you want to make a very tasty, calorie dense snack to add to the meal you can give this a go. It's my recipe for a "nutela" type spread. You can eat it on it's own by the tablespoon (that's what I do) or use it on low carb bread or freeze it and eat it as a frozen treat. Blend all the nuts with the oils till they are a smooth oily cream (nutella consistency) then add other ingredients and further blend. Also to boost my calories if I need to I will eat double devon cream, heavy liquid whip (adding them to coffee and/or sugar free hot chocolates, and I add butter, or bacon bits, or mayo to a lot of my food recipes to boost calories. I also eat a lot of eggs, avocado, etc..

Ingredients: 1/2 cup of each: walnuts, pecans, brazil nuts, 1 cup macadamia nuts, 3 tbsp mct oil, 3 tbsp coconut oil, 2 tbsp vanilla extract, 2 packets stevia, 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder.

Blend all ingredients in blender on high power till made smooth creamy consistency.

Made 1.5 cups (375 ml) total. Which equals 25 tablespoons

Total macro nutrients for 1.5 cups: 2874 calories, 20 grams net carbs, 36 grams protein, 304 grams fat.

Macro Nutrients per tablespoon: 115 calories, .8 gram net carb, 1.4 gram protein, 12 grams fat
  • PaulaKro
    Try adding a protein shake. I barely use any liquid with mine. I only use 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk per full scoop of protein powder.
    I do this too, @PaulChasinDreams except usually 2 scoops egg protein powder in 1 cup unsweetened almond milk; and since it's egg, it can be heated to make it like pudding. ((yum))
    - namesharing, Paula
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    Try adding a protein shake. I barely use any liquid with mine. I only use 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk per full scoop of protein powder.
    I do this too, @PaulChasinDreams except usually 2 scoops egg protein powder in 1 cup unsweetened almond milk; and since it's egg, it can be heated to make it like pudding. ((yum))
    - namesharing, Paula

Have you tried protein fluff? I've done it once or twice - a nice treat.
    These are mostly low carb, but it gives the general idea:
    https://www.myprotein.com/thezone/recipe/protein-fluff-recipes/
  • PaulaKro
    Thank you @nvmomketo - I'm allergic to whey & casein (dairy) but this sounds a lot like what I do with my egg protein. :)
  • cindytoronto
    cindytoronto Posts: 13 Member
    OP I wouldn’t worry about it for now. Is it hot where you live? We are having a heat wave and lots of my friends have said that they don’t feet like eating. I find that when just starting out on Keto or when getting back to it my appetite is low for a while. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose I don’t think that I couple of weeks of eating less than 1200 is going to do you much harm (but I am not a medical professional). Maybe try to concentrate on eating nutrient dense food and taking a multi vitamin until your appetite returns.
  • JordisTSM
    Thanks everyone. I’ll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.