That first game that made you a gamer.

Options

Replies

• xXKikyoXx
    xXKikyoXx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    rowlandsw wrote: »
    I'm sowing my age but it was a Sears Super Pong 4 unit my neighbors had. Later, once i could reach the controls, i got into arcades and then consoles. I still miss arcades. There's one nearby but it's in a really shady part of town and doesn't open until 11am.

The closest thing we had to an arcade in my town was this small room at the local Pizza Hut that they shoved 6 machines into. It survived for a long time, up until early this year, and is now a stock room. It was really sad to see it go.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    xXKikyoXx wrote: »
    I'm sowing my age but it was a Sears Super Pong 4 unit my neighbors had. Later, once i could reach the controls, i got into arcades and then consoles. I still miss arcades. There's one nearby but it's in a really shady part of town and doesn't open until 11am.

The closest thing we had to an arcade in my town was this small room at the local Pizza Hut that they shoved 6 machines into. It survived for a long time, up until early this year, and is now a stock room. It was really sad to see it go.

My local PH had one of those as well, until about seven years ago. What really amazes me in retrospect, is the fact that those arcade machines were still functioning flawlessly after so many decades.
  • xXKikyoXx
    xXKikyoXx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    xXKikyoXx wrote: »

My local PH had one of those as well, until about seven years ago. What really amazes me in retrospect, is the fact that those arcade machines were still functioning flawlessly after so many decades.

Yeah, my husband and I were talking about that a while back. I think one of the reasons the "arcade" died is because most of the machines finally bit the dust. One (Cruis'n USA) survived and sits near the entrance to the dining room. Last I knew it was still playable.
  • myraara
    myraara Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    World of Warcraft. My now fiance showed me it back in 2013, and I've been super into gaming since!
  • Dinklc
    Dinklc Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Same here Myraara! For the horde :)
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Windows 3.1 DOS /doom

First MMO that got me into online gaming ... Ultima Online

First multiplayer FPS was Delta Force by Novalogic.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    i15auqt6s96t.jpg
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My sega mega drive and N64 made me a gamer from the start. Played alot of Battletoads, Streets of rage 2, toejam and earl and roadrash. On my N64 it was mostly Ocarina of time, the bond games, super mario world, mario cart and smash bro´s
  • Canadian_Expat
    Canadian_Expat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me... Civilization. I had Atari / NES / Sega before that and played a lot of games, but CIV was definitely the start of a beautiful addiction. It got even worse (better?) with CIV2.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    For me... Civilization. I had Atari / NES / Sega before that and played a lot of games, but CIV was definitely the start of a beautiful addiction. It got even worse (better?) with CIV2.

CIV II was and still is one of my favorite ways to burn a whole day away, lol
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It's funny that this thread popped up on my forum list today because I was just thinking about it this morning.

For me, they were actually two games, one that made me a console gamer and then later one that also made me a PC gamer.

As a kid, I had a GameBoy and an SNES and my best friend's sister was co-owner of a gaming rental place, so I had access to all consoles and games. But I found that this easy access and overflow also just made me a casual gamer. I could rent them for free, so who cared if I really played or not?

Until the first Playstation came out, and with it, Final Fantasy VII. I asked for the PS and the game for my birthday and I was so hooked. Unlike before, I'd spend hours playing and was amazed by the actual story, the character depth and development and the graphics. So that paved my way into a more serious approach that was about more than winning a level and killing some time.

And then, a few years later, we finally had a PC at home and my mom bought me The Sims. I remember unwrapping the game, installing it and within the first minute of gameplay - I hadn't even finished creating my first character yet - turning around to tell my mom that this was it, this was my favourite game ever. At the time, I was at least half joking and being overdramatic but it actually turned out to be true for many years, until The Sims 4 put a bit of a damper on my love for the series.

To this day, I prefer to play RPG's on a console and sim games on a computer, so I suppose those two really set things in motion for me.
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    myraara wrote: »
    World of Warcraft. My now fiance showed me it back in 2013, and I've been super into gaming since!

Me too <3 Draenei Resto Sham & BE DH
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My first game was Tomb Raider 1 but the game that made me a gamer was Half Life
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Intellivision and a Commodore 64. Ultima III on C64 was the one that hooked me, and Ultima Online is the only MMRPG I've ever played, mainly because if I spend a 10th of the time on the newer ones that I did on UO, I'd be divorced and probably homeless.
  • 82dB
    82dB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Played a lot before. But Super Metroid was the one. Had to get everything. Had to explore everywhere. That was it then.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have to say either Yoshi's Island or Donkey Kong Country for Super Nintendo. I put sooo many hours into those games as a kid.

Then, once I got a Gameboy Color, that thing was glued to my hand. Pokemon Yellow was my first GBC game.
  • eastjc
    eastjc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Star raiders. Atari 400
  • chelsealjndr
    chelsealjndr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    New here. 😅 Pretty new to gaming as well. My ex got me Fallout 3 and I decided to give it a shot one day when I was bored back in 2014. That was the first game I played for more than eight hours straight everyday for a month or two. Then my hours got transferred to Smite, and most recently, Overwatch. :)

FO3 wasn't my first game, but it was the first game I really put time into!! Lol
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Night Driver on the Atari.
  • anthonysdunn
    anthonysdunn Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ping pong . Jk first game I really got into was Starcraft for pc