Where do you shop?

2»

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    OT: You ladies are body goals. I don't think I've ever been a size 0 or even a 2, even as a child and a ballerina. I'm 5'10 and have always had a slender build but could never get that low.

I'm a huge fan of Ann Taylor.

I'm 5'3". I look chubby if my weight gets me up to a size 4. :)

I think some of the body goals on this board are extreme. I'm 5'8" and I see other girls that height with goals around 130-135. I can't imagine how awful I would look below 145.

Not necessarily. It depends on how you are built. I can't speak for anyone 5'8" since I've never been that tall, but I find there is quite a range of weights that can look good at my height, including some that are near my starting weight! I have a small frame, narrow hips, and a very short waist and all of my extra fat goes to my midsection. At 115 pounds I am not overweight, but I am in no danger of being underweight either. In fact, I could probably lose another 10 pounds or so before I started looking "skinny." And before anyone asks, yes, I do lift. I am actually quite muscular. I just don't have a body that can carry extra weight in a healthy manner.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited July 2018
    I think some of the body goals on this board are extreme. I'm 5'8" and I see other girls that height with goals around 130-135. I can't imagine how awful I would look below 145.

I'm 172cm (5'8") and 59 kg (130 lbs) and I don't think I look awful/underweight at all! I'm definitely thin because I run and do a lot of activities that require moving your bodyweight, but I have defined muscles all over my body and I'm mainly this light because I have a very low body fat percentage on a small to medium frame (small with a booty). I really think I would look fine from 57-66 kg (125-145 lbs); my waist never really gets bigger, so when I weigh more, no one thinks I should lose weight because I'm just thick. When I weighed 72.5 kg (160 lbs), I never thought I could be under 64 kg (140 lbs), but once I was 66-68 kg (145-150 lbs), I realized that I had had a warped perspective. Everyone's body carries weight differently, and while 130-135 would be a slender physique, it's not awfully thin or anything.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    OT: You ladies are body goals. I don't think I've ever been a size 0 or even a 2, even as a child and a ballerina. I'm 5'10 and have always had a slender build but could never get that low.

It all depends on muscle mass and frame size. I know people my height (~5') that look great at 120. I'd look huge at that weight. I looked fine at 95lbs. I looked chubby and felt uncomfortable at 111. I'm 105 now and have put on enough muscle that I'd be like you and think I'd probably look pretty awful at 95lbs now. That doesn't mean someone else would. I think people who've always been thin tend to feel more comfortable on the low side of the BMI scale. People who have been overweight most of their life or heavily muscled tend to be comfortable at the mid-high BMI range. And that was a total observation just from what I've seen on these boards and very much a generalization. It does not apply to everyone.
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    edited July 2018
    I’m 5’ 6” and have small hips, short waist. I’m a size 2 in pants, but weigh 145. I’m very lean and my weight gains end up in love handles. I’m starting to think Scale weight is not the best measure. Don’t get me wrong if I dropped another 10lbs I would be fine with it, but I suspect I would get a lot of comments on being “too skinny”. In fact today I weigh 149, but measurements are the same. Vacation. :-/. Also lest we forget today’s size 2 was size 6 in the 90’s. My new goal is to maintain my weight since I’m happy with way I look now. Also reminding myself that I don’t need to look like a fitness model.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I'm 5'1" and 130lbs and a size 6. I gain weight pretty evenly over my whole body, and lose it that way as well. Body composition has a lot to do with it also. I've seen people at my height and weight with a higher body fat percentage and that was a very strong motivator to lift weights during my weight loss to avoid that. If I didn't know what I know now and didn't mitigate muscle loss, I think I would have believed I needed to weigh less than what I'm aiming for (120). As I've lost weight I realized that I don't have much distinction between my waist (28) and hips (34). It makes me look long-waisted because everything blends together. My shoulders are wider than my hips from lifting and my butt stayed round for the same reason. I still have a big bust. Clothes have kind of been a disaster lately because they're meant for women with bigger hips and a smaller waist, so everything fits baggy except the waist. A size 4 may fit better but I haven't been out shopping in a while.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member

I know people carry weight differently but calling 130 extreme seems a bit extreme for 5'8". It is at the low end of BMI but it is far from underweight. I am currently 129 and 5'7.5 5'8is, but having very small chest cuts off alot of extra weight. Dropping down 7 lbs to 123 would be a giant difference on me (which I have no plans to do).
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,645 Member

I'm just under 5'8" and maintain between 130 and 135. For years, when I was bigger (around 160-165) I thought I'd look dreadful thinner (a perception instilled/backed up by family and friends), however, after dropping the weight we found that this simply was not true. Under that fat, my "large" frame was actually "medium". And while I'm lean, I still have plenty of spare fat - could probably lose another 5 pounds before I started looking skinny. (However, I have little to no boobs, which probably accounts for a few pounds!!)
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    I just wanted to say it really sucks that this thread has turned into a debate over what’s healthy or not for someone else’s body (likely someone you’ve never met). Everyone is different. BMI can be a flawed measurement. Different people feel good or are healthy at different weights. Let’s keep this forum supportive!