A little help wouldn't hurt, if you have time.

Options
eversosquidly
eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
Hi! I've been lurking for a while, reading just about everything that I can, but I still have questions. I'm totally okay with being linked to things, but I promise that I have read a ton on here about LCHF.

I technically started 'low carb' attempts about a month ago. I didn't realize how many carbs were in things like salad dressing and breaded chicken because I wasn't hardcore tracking. When I got my macros about a week ago, I was trying to decide if I wanted to do just low carb or keto.

I don't like the taste of most protein powders. They smell weird. They taste weird. I can't eat them in things mixed in. I can't force myself to eat them. Unfortunately, it's a texture thing for me. There's a whole bunch of other things that I miss out on, too. (Like pudding and yogurt, etc.)

I see all these people posting about eating giant steaks or pieces of pork, etc, but I'm struggling with hitting my fat requirements and I'm usually over my protein. Am I missing something? Should I switch from keto just back to low carb? I'm trying to hit macros and not worry TOO much about calories, but I'm also trying to make sure I'm always at a deficit.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions? I just feel like I'm doing something wrong. :|

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I’m not one of the people eating big steaks. Just too many calories for me, even with no other side dishes. I eat carefully measured portions of butter, avocado and nuts....I m more likely to choose a leaner meat because I don’t have 2000+ calories at my disposal.

I don’t love protein powder either, but Quest can be mixed into tasty concoctions.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Basic rule of thumb:
    Carb grams -> this is an upper limit, stay under the value given
    Protein grams -> this is a lower limit, eating more is not an issue
    Fat grams -> these are fillers, eat enough to feel satiated, but do not force yourself to eat 'all' the fat. This is especially true if you are trying to lose weight - your body will use the excess body fat to fill in any extra calories that it needs.

The other thing you need to watch is sodium (salt) intake. For people eating normal carb amounts, 2300mg is the upper limit. For low-carb/keto, 5000mg is the recommended minimum value (at least thru the first couple of weeks while your body balances out fluid lose from lack of carbs).

+1 on this. It took me a while to figure all this out (or come to understand it maybe). I am sure people were saying it to me as well.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am lo-carb (with a carb limit of 100), but sometimes find myself in keto. Because as my appetite dropped, I grabbed protein, vegetables and fats (olive oil, nuts avocado) and sauces, and wasn't driven to eat starchy stuff.

What are your reasons for wanting to do keto or lo-carb, @eversosquidly? Is one better than the other for your goals?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing fine, but you may need to adjust your macros to reflect your preference for higher protein and lower fat. :)

Low carb, or keto, is just a specific carb preference - low. ;) protein and fat can really vary from person to person. Some do moderate protein (like around 60-90 g) but others prefer higher, often up to 200g or more. Protein is satiating for most and generally does not need to be limited except by some people with specific health issues.

Fat just fills in the rest for energy. If you are trying to lose weight, having your body use its own fat stores instead of dietary fat.

I think if you eat the foods you like, keep your carbs below your desired limit, and hit it exceed your protein goal then the diet will probably be more successful and sustainable for you. Do what works for you.

I agree with making sure you get 3000-5000+ mg of sodium too, although I disagree with 2300 mg being the upper limit for those on higher carb diets - I think it depends more on blood pressure needs.
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your quick replies! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

The only carbs I'm taking in at this point are vegetables or in my shredded cheese--which is a problem I plan to solve when I get back to the store. I want any carbs I eat to be intentional. Though I was surprised that eggs have carbs. O.o

I'm SUPER glad to know that if I go over on protein, it's not the end of the world. I was drinking chicken broth with butter a few times to hit my fat goal, which just seemed excessive. I'd rather spend my calories on eating something with more substance, I suppose, than broth and fat. But I CAN say that I do find myself reasonably full with the fat. I haven't been hungry the way I was when I was eating carbs. And food that I take in is intentional, not mindless grazing, which is nice, too!

With all the reading I've done, I had read that too much protein can cause your body to use it as fuel, instead of fat, and it could drop you out of ketosis. Which was my concern.

As for sodium, I'm prooobably good. I salt EVERYTHING. I am that person that people yell at for oversalting. When I leave a table, it's covered in a fine layer of salt. (I clean up, though, I'm not a heathen.) So whatever I'm eating is salted. I'm also drinking Ketoade usually at least once a day. I have the Lite-Salt or whatever it's called, to make sure I'm hitting potassium goals. And I have pickles. Been drinking the juice, too.

I've also been used to drinking, at minimum, three liters of water a day. So that helps a bit. I'm trying to drink more, but at least I'm not SUPER dehydrated. And if I feel like I am, I break out the ketoade.

I really like the advice that eating to satisfy is cool and if I don't hit that fat macro, it's okay, I just need to be under my carbs. So, I used a calculator that I found on one of the keto sites? It provided calorie range and then suggested macros by grams, not percentages, which is what I'm going off of.

As for my motivations for doing keto, I'm in a therapy group that focuses on healthy eating and avoiding binges. When I started thinking about my trigger foods, I realized that I was cutting out almost all of the carbs I ate on a regular basis anyway--rice, bread, potatoes, sugar--it made the most sense to just drop into keto. I figured if I did keto, I would have to be more mindful and intentional with my eating than low carb, since the carb limit is so drastic.

Since starting, I've lost a lot of water weight. (Yay.) But I've also lost my daily migraines. I've had a few headaches and they all went away with either ketoade, water, or a combination of vitamins. Magnesium, Potassium, D3. I'm considering adding a calcium supplement, but since I eat a lot of cheese and sour cream, I feel like I probably don't need it, tbh.

As for upping my protein, will that throw me out of ketosis? I don't want to change my carb intake. I'm trying really hard to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong. But it WOULD be nice to eat more than 4 oz of chicken or ground beef without worrying about having protein available for dinner after lunch.

Additionally, I'm trying to do intermittent fasting? Partly because I'm lazy and now I don't have to make breakfast, but also because I liked the idea that it worked well with keto? I have a lot of fat to lose, so I figured I'd give it a try. It's been a challenge to wait until 1pm to eat sometimes, but I seem to be doing okay so far.

My plan is to throw exercise into this mix tomorrow. I'm headed out on vacation in September where I'll be doing a LOT of walking and I need to prepare for that. I'm hoping the cardio will help with my weight loss as well. But in the long run, my goal is for a sustainable way of eating. Cutting out carbs entirely (besides those leafy green veggies) seemed like the best option for me right now as I retrain myself not to emotionally eat or binge.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I’m by no means an expert but I’ve been having between 90-150gm of protein a day (0.8-1.2gm/lb of lean body mass) and am still in ketosis. The only active fat I’ve been contributing is the last few mornings I’ve had berries or apricots and double cream... and honestly that’s only because it’s delicious ;)
    My carbs are 10-30gm net
    I do exercise most days so that may help keep me in ketosis with my slightly higher carbs - (strength and a Tabata style HIIT workout ‘cause I hate long drawn out cardio sessions)

But in all honesty, for me “being in ketosis” isn’t that important - if I’m feeling good, losing the cm/lbs and enjoying the food I’m eating then I’m happy - there is no ‘doing things wrong’ it’s about doing what works for you and by the sounds of your improvements (migraines and losing lbs) what you’re doing works for you and feeling better! Great work :D
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it, you have to go WAY over in the protein consumption to knock yourself out of ketosis, so I wouldn't worry if you are a few grams over (by way over, I'm talking 100g more than your target).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Keto or low carb? My answer is whichever provides the best adherence to a calorie deficit. I've done nicely with low carb. My carbs averaged 128 per day during weight loss. I didn't set out to be a low carb dieter/eater. I fell into low carb when I quit eating the carby/salty/fatty combos that I tended to overeat. It works. The extra weight and fat dropped off via low carb and a calorie deficit.

I ate keto level carbs later on for a couple of years. It did provide a high level of satiety and a cravings reduction that I did not experience with higher carb and lower fat. For that reason, I continue to eat lchf. It has made maintenance much easier. Ketosis is not critical to me for maintenance. Excellent that it has rid you of your migraines. I'm not surprised.

Good for you for acknowledging and addressing trigger foods and habits. I ultimately did the same.

Sort of off topic but reading your profile and noting your hometown caused me to get on Google and see if Mancini's Bread is still in existence. Then I searched to find my favorite pierogi place which led me to Market Square then to Primanti Bros and so on and so forth. #Shalieve. That young man will never stop believing and he will achieve everything he possibly can. Please keep believing. You will achieve. That pretty girl is looking back at you in the mirror. :)@eversosquidly
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Getting my carb intake automated has help give me back my life.

It sounds like you are on your road to success. It took me about a year for things to gel on the keto/LCHF thing.

If you seldom go over 149 grams of carbs daily I think you will see never going over 50 grams daily may just happen more and more often IF that is your goal.

Improving my health markers is NOW my only real goal. As long as I do not eat foods containing added sugars and or any form of any grain all is golden it seems.

Best of success.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    If you seldom go over 149 grams of carbs daily I think you will see never going over 50 grams daily may just happen more and more often IF that is your goal.
    That's exactly what happened to me.
    Eat lo-carb > less cravings for carbs > eat less carbs > keto
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    That's exactly what happened to me.
    Eat lo-carb > less cravings for carbs > eat less carbs > keto

Yep. I don't always stay at keto levels but as long as I'm not eating the carb laden foods that I over ate (cakes, cookies, pies, ice cream, candy, Fritos, Doritos and Cheetos), I don't crave and I do just fine.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I was doing low carb for a while last year and had lost some weight, and then over time, I found myself wanting less and less carbs. Switching to a Keto diet was more of a natural progression. Now, I barely even need to try to keep my carbs low, I just do. And I eat a ton of veggies and even :::gasp::: some fruit. The highest I've gone on carbs is 69 and still stayed in Ketosis, I'd be willing to be that I could probably go higher as long as I keep my fat consumption high as well.
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Since starting, I've lost a lot of water weight. (Yay.) But I've also lost my daily migraines. I've had a few headaches and they all went away with either ketoade, water, or a combination of vitamins. Magnesium, Potassium, D3.

Lowering your carbs and balancing your electrolytes will completely eliminate migraine headaches. Forever.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Migraine-Epidemic-Complete-Migraines/dp/154697637X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531154347&sr=8-1
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good job. I know it is unsettling at the beginning but through trial and error like me I guess, you will figure out what works for you. I believe that overeating my protein does not throw me out of ketosis but it does not make the scale move neither ( actually has not moved much in 1.5 week). Also I have never been a big fat eating person but i am noticing that if my fat intake are higher than my carbs intake for that day, i lose some and/or feel fine. The only supplements i am taking are multivitamins and calcium supplements that have extra vit D because of my health issues. I am also drinking at least 8cups a day and 4cups at night. I do not worked out but you might have to adjust with your working out. Beginnings are hard and some days harder but consistency is key. Keep up. You are getting there. Slowly but surely and making good habits.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you’re doing all the right things ( reading, studying, experimenting) you will settle on the right combination for you and succeed as long as you stay at it!