Downside to Low-Carb

JordisTSM
JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
I tend to be a bit lazy in the mornings so keep a supply of protein bars in my desk at work in case I skip breakfast or don't make lunch.

Today is the first day since I started low-carb that I needed to dip in to my supply. OMG, the sweetness. I never realised just how sweet they are. So used to having sugary things that it had never registered on the palate before.

By the time I was halfway through, I was pretty much done. Only 5 days low-carb!

(It's a downside cause now I can't fall back on my lazy protein bar supply, and I still have a box of the damn things left!)

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Yes, I noticed that, too. Splenda tastes insanely sweet now--it's changed my taste buds!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    That's one low carb side effect that I haven't experienced yet, but I wish I would. LOL

I can appreciate less sweet things more now, but a super sweet thing is still a taste I like...darnit.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    yeah the dang atkins candy bars are my downfall .....but at lease only 2 carbs a bar , 5 days in wait month from now you will want those bars trust me LOL
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Give it time... you'll miss the sweetness. i have at least one bar per day.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    I never thought I would come to enjoy my unsweetened coffee in the morning, but I do. I have yet to find a sugar substitute that doesn't taste weird once my taste buds got used to eating less sugar. If I need sweet, I have the real stuff, and it's amazing to me that I'm OK with a bite or two of a really rich dessert, and I can actually put my fork down because it's enough. My only downside is I can't experiment with a lot of cocktails anymore because they put way too much sweet in them... *sigh* I guess straight bourbon over ice it is... LOL
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    I never thought I would come to enjoy my unsweetened coffee in the morning, but I do. I have yet to find a sugar substitute that doesn't taste weird once my taste buds got used to eating less sugar. If I need sweet, I have the real stuff, and it's amazing to me that I'm OK with a bite or two of a really rich dessert, and I can actually put my fork down because it's enough. My only downside is I can't experiment with a lot of cocktails anymore because they put way too much sweet in them... *sigh* I guess straight bourbon over ice it is... LOL

I am with you on the unsweetened coffee in the morning. I've never like my tea sweetened but coffee always had to have some type of sweetener. These days, depending on how good the coffee is, I will add either some half and half or heavy whipping cream but I've even gotten to the point of drinking regular good coffee black. I went through stages of cutting back on sweetener until I didn't need it anymore and actually prefer coffee without it. I have a couple diet sodas now and then but I can't have Aspartame anymore since it makes me ill so I have to watch what kind of artificial sweeteners are in things. I think the gradual approach to eliminating any kind of sweetener is the way to go. It's amazing how a persons palette can change over time.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited June 2018
    I am doing a bastardized version of the Bulletproof Coffee in that I am using "regular" coffee but then putting a nice chunk of KerryGold Butter in it along with 1/2 teaspoon of the Bulletproof "Brain Octane Oil". Not to be "TMI" (well, not possible with me....I am very blunt and matter-of-fact about these things) but I would honestly suggest that people using the Brain Octane Oil heed the warnings....start slow and build up! LOL! I really enjoy that....actually am liking it more than "normal" coffee!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member

No No No don't give up cocktails!! Go somewhere they mix their own cocktails (no pre-mixes!) and just say you don't want the sugar syrup or whatever the sweet thing is they add. I love espresso martinis so I just say without sugar/honey and it works! :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Here's a disconcerting one for you: Milk (particularly skim milk) actually tasting sweet.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    My latest one is Powerade zero. I was drinking that a lot in my first week or so, but now it’s like sugar water.
  • rkmeyer41
    rkmeyer41 Posts: 58 Member
    Atkins treats...yes or no?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    rkmeyer41 wrote: »

Blech...

If I'm going to do bars, I bite the bullet on the carb front and go with Perfect Bars. Much more filling than most others that I've had and packed with real foods.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    rkmeyer41 wrote: »

They're a "no" for me. Sugar alcohols do not agree with my digestive system and the last time I had an Atkins Bar (years ago) it contained sugar alcohols.

Some folks can eat things like Atkins bars and do ok. I'm not one of those people. They're too much like candy to me and candy (cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, etc) are "trigger foods" to over eating for me. Same is true for Fritos, Cheetos, Doritos, etc which is why I also don't eat pork rinds. We're all different.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    I love atkins candy bar snacks , but I stay away from them because I want to eat all of them in a day LOL but they are good , the drinks are really good too but again to tasty , must stay away !! The meal replacement bars are kind of vitamin tasting , not as good but for a lunch or on the run it's a good thing .
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,673 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Some folks can eat things like Atkins bars and do ok. I'm not one of those people. They're too much like candy to me and candy (cookies, cakes, pies, ice cream, etc) are "trigger foods" to over eating for me.
    ^^ This exactly for me too - I need to stay away from real and pretend - they're both triggers ^^
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    I'm in agreement with the above remarks on "sugar alcohols." I believe Atkins Harvest Trail bars (or some name like that) do not contain the sugar alcohols. I sometimes indulge in the lowest in sugar Kind bars; mostly nuts and a little dark chocolate.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I like the Simply Protein and WheyProtein bars since they are fairly low in carbs and have ingredients you can recognize. A couple of them are sort of like 'rice krispie treats' (lemon coconut and apple cinnamon) but still contain decent servings of protein. I also really like the Simply Salt & Pepper protein chips.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,751 Member
    edited July 2018

No No No don't give up cocktails!! Go somewhere they mix their own cocktails (no pre-mixes!) and just say you don't want the sugar syrup or whatever the sweet thing is they add. I love espresso martinis so I just say without sugar/honey and it works! :D

I second this. I never liked sweet "girly" cocktails to begin with, now I just ask for no sugary syrups to be added. And if you are going to pay cocktail prices, go ahead and do it where they do mix their own.

As for Atkins bars/shakes, for that matter any other brands, it is a no because of sugar alcohols. I tried Atkins when I first started going keto, I used and still do from time to time, their Atkins 20 foodie meal planner. I make my own fat bombs and any other treats myself to control what goes in them. Most are simple to do. Many can be kept frozen for emergency needs :)