Question - New eating habits/caloric intake after Gastric Sleeve

Options
Kfjohnson43
Kfjohnson43 Posts: 3 Member
Hi, i'm Kelli, and I had the gastric sleeve surgery on June 14th. What are ya'll eating? About how many calories are you getting? I must be doing something wrong... On the morning of surgery when they weighed me, i had lost 10lbs on the 2 week pre-op diet. On my 2 week appointment after surgery I hadn't lost anything. The doctor explained that they pumped me full of fluids so i would dehydrate after surgery, and that my body was still healing. I'm coming up to almost a month post-op and I am only down a few pounds since my 2 week appointment. I am getting around 6-800 calories a day. I can't drink the protein shakes as every flavor/brand i've tried, and i've tried a bunch, make me sick and nauseated. It seems most people have such great success.

Replies

• spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hey,Kelli! We’re almost surgery twins - I had my sleeve on June 12th. I lost before hand and lost some after but I’ve now hit a plateau that’s partially due to PMS and partially due to the ‘3 week stall’ everyone talks about. I’m eating about 300-400 calories a day - it’s what my doc recommends and I can’t really eat more.

Are you eating actual food or are you still on liquids? My doc wants us off protein shakes once we start eating real food. Also, remember, this isn’t a race, it’s a marathon! Also, depending on how much you have to lose, if you have less, it may take longer. I started at 222 and am now at about 190 (where I’ve been for a week) so I’m not expecting to lose it all in a few weeks.

Hang in there! Stick to good choices and eventually, it’ll start to come off!!

Amanda
  • Kfjohnson43
    Kfjohnson43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My doctor only had me on clear fluids for the 2 days prior to surgery and then 3 days following surgery. I was then on cream soups/instant potatoes/yogurt (no chunks)/protein drinks up to the 2 week mark after surgery and now i'm on the pureed list of foods. I can have just about anything added one at a time, just no raw fruit/veggies except for bananas. I eat packaged tuna and chicken breast out of a can with lite mayo. To be honest i struggle with knowing if i'm hungry or not. I hold out and just sip water, getting the 64 ounces is tough. As far as my weight I was at 285 day of surgery, when i went for my post op 2 week appointment I was at 279. I am getting new scales in Thursday so i'll know then how much I have actually lost since the post op appointment.
  • DietingMommy2008
    DietingMommy2008 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs on the 2 day liquid diet prior to surgery and then 20lbs the first 2 weeks after. However, my journey is a little different then most as at my 2 week mark I was in the ER and found out I was pregnant. :o Your body could also be fighting starvation? You may not be getting enough protein in? How are you doing with walking and exercise? I'd say try to get that protein in and add a few more minutes to your walking routine. Also add a couple more calories.
  • lindsaygoins
    lindsaygoins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've read different materials that suggest staying away from the scales until about 4 mos post-op despite the temptation (i've watched my weight like a hawk...). Your body has already been through so much with the liquid diet and the surgery itself, your weight is likely going to fluctuate tremendously as your body gets used to its new dimensions.
    From my personal experience, I didn't lose anything for about two weeks after my surgery, and then it slowly started to melt away. This process has seemed to kinda speed up over time, but I lose about 4-5 lbs a week now.
  • ylc0208
    ylc0208 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kfjohnson....are you eating anything high in carbs or sugar? I am scheduled to have surgery on the 20th but during our 3 hour nutrition class we were told that we will need to be sugar free and carbs intake should be minimal if any. Also, your body is still adjusting to everything and not everyone looses at the same rate. Keep us update and good luck!!!
  • Jenneke0269
    Jenneke0269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost ~25 lbs. over the two week pre-op diet and the first 2 weeks post-op. I'm about 6 weeks post-op now, and I'm down 42 lbs.
    As for macros, I'm a 6'1" male with the skeleton of a football player, so mine will be different than yours. I eat 1000-1200 kcal/day in 4-6oz. sized meals. About 75g of protein/day is my goal. It ends up being about a 33/33/33 split for protein, fats, and carbs.
  • MrsBennett2015
    MrsBennett2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months out and I only get 400 calories a day. I drink a protein shake for breakfast and then one for dinner. I eat a small no carb snack and I have about 2 oz of lean meat for lunch. My nutritionist said I'm fine. I was 242 at surgery and am 182 now. Cut out potatoes, pasta and bread. That will help
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My surgery was 5/01. I'm down 54lbs. I'm old and short B) so the dr said I would be a slow looser. My nutritionist said I should eat between 800-1000 calories a day. My dr believes in eating a well rounded diet, so I don't have food restrictions. I track on here and I stay within my macros. I am 58, and 5' tall. I started at 215lb and a size 20 Women's jeans. I am now 161 and wear a 14 Juniors! 48lbs to go ... I love my tool!
  • hippie_spirit
    hippie_spirit Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    ylc0208 wrote: »
    Kfjohnson....are you eating anything high in carbs or sugar? I am scheduled to have surgery on the 20th but during our 3 hour nutrition class we were told that we will need to be sugar free and carbs intake should be minimal if any. Also, your body is still adjusting to everything and not everyone looses at the same rate. Keep us update and good luck!!!

I eat carbs. I stay in my macros. My surgeon said your brain needs carbs ... also, my mood crashes if I cut my carbs too low. I think you will find people that are anti carb and people that eat a healthy diet and don't eliminate anything. I have a questionable relationship with skittles :D