Day 1 questions

Options
nishaketo
nishaketo Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2018 in Social Groups
I have started the keto diet with IF today. I can do the IF part easily, my plan is to have OMAD. However my diary for today has me at 731 calories which seems low. I don't really want to add anything else to my dinner as it will be more than enough to fill me up as is. Not really sure on how to up the calories without adding more food. Also I don't drink hot drinks and my protein goal has exceeded by 2. Is it normal to have low calories on IF OMAD keto?

Screenshot_20180714_104301.png

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't fast or do OMAD but low calories is common on keto in general. It won't last long because you will eventually get hungry. I will caution you that eating very low calorie is not conducive to good overall health nor will it be sustainable. You need to feed your body. It asks little of you except to nourish it to keep your heart and lungs healthy as well as your skin and hair and reproductive system.

Your food selections are AOK. Eat more of each. Add some leafy greens with a tasty, fatty dressing.
  • inkedupgurl
    inkedupgurl Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am also fairly new and figuring everything out I also don’t know what OMAD stands for, but by the looks of your dinner, you could change your chicken breast to chicken thighs or chicken legs, they are way fattier, and more delicious in my opinion, you could also add cheese to the eggs, unless OMAD refers to something about Dairy, and a huge dollop of guacamole or sour cream would be delicious on that dinner, and also add the rest of your calories needed… I finish most days under my calories, and I do find that I am hungrier when I go to bed, I am doing intermittent fasting until 1 PM and then one large meal between 1 PM and 7 PM. With keto coffee in the morning...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    OMAD represents One Meal A Day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find OMAD very hard with low carb keto levels. I'm just not hungry enough to eat 1500+ calories in one meal. I need two meals to do it if I am getting adequate protein. But that's just me. :)

I wouldn't worry about a few sub 800 kcal days but you don't want to do that too often. It will probably eventually affect your health.

Perhaps rotate days? One day could be OMAD and the next could have a couple of meals?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don’t know what your protein goal is but going over by 2 or even 50g is perfectly fine.
    Nothing wrong with eating a bit more meat.
    I feel like it would be difficult for me to get my 120g of protein in one meal.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have been keto for 18 months and I've tried multiple ways to keto.

The brand of keto I follow today that works best for me is no fasting and no OMAD. I eat 1800 calories a day, 20 or less total carbs, 70 protein and 160 grams of fat. I eat it all too. I don't do fat as a lever. What I've found when I restrict calories I will lose but then I will stall, I'll start losing hair, lose energy and I'm HANGRY.

I have lost 60 pounds with keto, I'm not eating in much of a deficit either and continue to lose weight. I have about 20 more to go to be at goal but now I just want to be a healthy brick house of muscle.