Does MFP count total or net carbs

amdev23_23
amdev23_23 Posts: 68 Member
The title says it all. I’m not sure if I should just look at my carb count on MFP, or if I should open up the more in-depth nutrition information and subtract fiber. I’m sure this info is on here somewhere, but my searches aren’t coming up with it. Thank you!

Replies

• amdev23_23
    Well I feel like a dummy. I found it talked about like 6,000 times. But I can’t delete the post, sorry! 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Good question though so answering for those who are wondering:

Most database entries are total carbs. Just add the fiber category to your tracking and mentally subtract. There are some net carb entries in the database since MFP has world wide users and in some countries outside the USA, nutrition labels already subtract the fiber.

There are a couple scripts one can install to reflect net and someone will post those. I've not used them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    This is a script for net carbs
    https://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

I think it's only good for PCs.
  • amdev23_23
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I use the app pretty much 100% of the time. On my other thread someone mentioned setting their diary view to have fiber right next to carbs. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to do that, because I can easily do the math in my head and quickly know where I’m at with net carbs.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    amdev23_23 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I use the app pretty much 100% of the time. On my other thread someone mentioned setting their diary view to have fiber right next to carbs. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to do that, because I can easily do the math in my head and quickly know where I’m at with net carbs.

If you go to the top menu bar, click My Home then Settings then Diary Settings. I think that will work.

Whatever order you put your macros in at, it will show up at... I think.

I'm another who just shows fibre and sugar along with the macros. Some like to check sodium too.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,750 Member
    @amdev23_23, You'll find that MFP only tracks five items. I think a lot of lo-carbers track calories, protein, carbs, fiber - and then for their fifth item, choose between either sodium (to get enough electrolytes) or sugar (to limit intense carbs).

I personally wish they'd let us track Vit K (because it affects my INR from blood thinners and it would be a serious help for me to measure it accurately) but that isn't offered as an option we can choose. :cry:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    @PaulaKro, you might consider using Cronometer. It tracks everything imaginable. I use it off and on.

• PaulaKro
    Thank you @kpk54.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    edited July 2018
    carb manager is pretty good for tracking as well, it figures the net carbs for you

Just checked out cronometer, wow, it does track everything! Going to give it a try :)
  • julepige
    julepige Posts: 24 Member
    Just remember if you live in uk , the carbs you see on the package is the right number so dont subtract the fiber from it.
  • PaulaKro
    julepige wrote: »
    Just remember if you live in uk , the carbs you see on the package is the right number so dont subtract the fiber from it.
    Wow, that's good to know- didn't realize! I'll include that condition with future advice. Thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I would just say to be careful what fiber you choose to subtract. From green veggies is what I’ve always been told can be subtracted but the script isn’t going to pick and choose.
    This product was eaten by a low carb type 1 diabetic. They thought they were getting 5g carbs.
    It made their blood sugar shoot up just as the full 33g would have though.
    z2sou6cohpqf.jpeg
    2luwsn5w5oo6.jpeg
    88b143lj5tlf.jpeg
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Sunny_Bunny, thank you. I have wondered so many times about that. I stick with counting total carbs although I do track the fiber on MFP as well but basically just for fun. The whole point (for those of us doing keto for health reasons) to to avoid those huge spikes and even though that product in your post was a low "net" carb number, just look at the results, yikes!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    RAC56 wrote: »
    Sunny_Bunny, thank you. I have wondered so many times about that. I stick with counting total carbs although I do track the fiber on MFP as well but basically just for fun. The whole point (for those of us doing keto for health reasons) to to avoid those huge spikes and even though that product in your post was a low "net" carb number, just look at the results, yikes!

Yep. People don’t like it when I refer to applying Net carb counts to food products like this as “gaming the system” but there’s no free ride. Gotta do the hard work and be honest if you want real results and health rewards.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    RAC56 wrote: »

Yep. People don’t like it when I refer to applying Net carb counts to food products like this as “gaming the system” but there’s no free ride. Gotta do the hard work and be honest if you want real results and health rewards.

I agree about it it 'gaming the system' when the purpose is to see progress, not 'get away' with eating the old way. I only deduct from vegetables and avocados. I find that if I'm eating things that have sugar alcohols, etc to deduct, it's most likely something I don't 'need' to be eating in the first place!