Why are my pounds coming off so slowly ???

Options
dove121
dove121 Posts: 25 Member
Hi I am doing low carb keeping my carbs to 37g. My fat per cent is higher than my protein intake as I was advised to do that .
I'm 20st 7lb and honestly need to loose the weight quicker that what I am doing now.
Can anybody help me please ?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories? Even if following a low carb diet, you need to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Height? Age? Amount of excess fat? Amount of weight loss so far? Time-frame for that weight loss? Macros in grams?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your eating too much fat.
    When people say “fat should be higher than protein” it isn’t meant to apply to the percentage ratio even though you’ll read it that way all over the place. It’s meant that in total calories, fat is higher than protein.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    When people say “fat should be higher than protein” it isn’t meant to apply to the percentage ratio even though you’ll read it that way all over the place. It’s meant that in total calories, fat is higher than protein.

I'm confused :/ My carbs are set to 5% or 23g or 92 cal.
    My fat is set to 70% or 140g or 1260cal.
    & my protein is set to 25% or 113g or 452 cal.

I don't understand how it doesn't apply to %
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    OP, Keto is a low carb high fat diet. Fat percentage is higher than protein or carbs and fat calories are higher than protein or carbs.

If you're not losing weight the #1 thing you might want to consider is weighing and measuring your food intake. Every weight loss diet I know of requires a calorie deficit and keto is no different.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    @dove121 if you open up your diary we might be able to help more :-)
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options

I'm confused :/ My carbs are set to 5% or 23g or 92 cal.
    My fat is set to 70% or 140g or 1260cal.
    & my protein is set to 25% or 113g or 452 cal.

I don't understand how it doesn't apply to %

Based on my personal experience (I've been keto for 18 + months) I think your protein is too high. This will be kind of crazy to most but it's worked amazing for me and I feel so much better......

My suggestion is to keep your calories right where they are... keep your 5% carbs (try to do total carbs too..not net carbs), 15% protein & 80% fat...

Eat all those calories/fat too.
  • dove121
    Options
    jeffjanieb wrote: »
    I have experienced plateaus when I drift over intake of 5% net carbs, 20% protein and 75% healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oils, and pasture raised butters. MFP has helped do that. I have also had plateaus because I'm a food addict. Low carb has helped me not feel hungry for the first time in my life, but I'm learning that I eat for other reasons. I'm down 50# in 2 years. God bless you on your journey.

Yes I agree low carb has definetly help me to recognise when I'm hungry for real for real and not just eating for the sake of eating.
    Wow 50lb that's amazing well done !!!
    I wish you continued success with your healthy eating journey x
  • dove121
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories? Even if following a low carb diet, you need to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight.

Yes I am tracking my calories. I am on 1480 total intake for the day and am under that a couple times. X
  • dove121
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Height? Age? Amount of excess fat? Amount of weight loss so far? Time-frame for that weight loss? Macros in grams?

5"4, 39 yrs old, have to double check the rest x
  • dove121
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you have a good calorie deficit, keep going. Weight loss is not linear. I have had weeks where I gained weight and then lost 5 lbs the next. As long as the overall trend is down, I would go with it.

How much are you losing a week? A loss of 2-3 pounds or more is fairly aggressive. Between 1-2 lbs is more common. Some are very happy with a slower loss of 0.5-1 lb a week if they find it more sustainable.

Yes I agree weight loss is not linear .
    I dont really want to weigh myself every week but I guess I have to see if I am losing at least 0.5lb a week .
    Think I am just impatient because I have a lot to loose.x
  • dove121
    Options

I think that this has been my error. It was said to me that fat will have to be higher than protein
    I have applied it to the percentage ratio.x

• dove121
    Options

Just put a post on my page asking how to do this as I don't know how to open my food diary up. X
  • dove121
    Options
    Hi everyone, thankyou for your input and suggestions. They have been very helpful to me.

I hope you don't mind if i request you all. Just for more suggestions and tips and general motivation x

Thanks everybody x
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    dove121 wrote: »

Just put a post on my page asking how to do this as I don't know how to open my food diary up. X

Go into the ‘more’ menu
    Settings > diary settings > diary sharing (or words to that effect) and set to either friends or public :-) x
  • dove121
    Options
    dove121 wrote: »

Go into the ‘more’ menu
    Settings > diary settings > diary sharing (or words to that effect) and set to either friends or public :-) x

Cheers 23rochelle. I have just done It now . X
  • dove121
    Options
    Hi peeps I have just opened up my food diary so feel free to have a look x