8 week blood sugar diet

Options
thorpet54
thorpet54 Posts: 4 Member
Think I posted in the 'introduce' thread on main forum by mistake! 😕

Hi, I am in desperate need of a new hip - can't get one until my bmi 35-40. So a way to go for me. Went on a slimfast shake diet for past 3 weeks and lost 15kgs. But hard to drink those damn things 3 times a day - plus they have a lot of sugar & carbs - then found the 8 week blood sugar diet and started it last Friday. So nice to eat again - especially bacon - the moment I took the 2 slices from under grill was almost orgasmic! Anyhoo, managing to keep carbs at 20g and total calories at 800 - though often less. Am struggling to be convinced that eating all this food will give me continued weight loss. As I lost all the 'water weight' on liquid diet - is it likely I will lose 14kgs in 8 weeks as suggested by diet book?

Replies

• thorpet54
    Options
    I was going for the 800 calorie as it's recommended by Dr Mosley (TV diet guy) and it's just meant for 8 weeks. After that it's suggested that you use the meal guides but on a 5-2 plan.

My main problem is that I can barely walk due to hip problem, so that stops any lower body exercise. So I'm quite inactive.

Have gotten used to no bread, pasta, spuds over last few weeks - use part of my carb allowance on milk for my coffee - don't really feel hungry / but could happily murder a crisp! Not really a sweet eater - prefer savoury snacks.

Quite enjoying the low carb meals - though not looking forward to courgette spaghetti.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are male or female, but 800 calories per day is a terrible, awful idea. The MINIMUM amount of calories you should be consuming per day is 1200 for women and 1500 for men. If you occasionally fall below that threshold on a rare occasion, you'll be fine, but it is not sustainable and it is not healthy. Unless you have a textbook perfect diet, it is extremely difficult to get the nutrients that your body needs on 1200/1500 calories per day, it's impossible on less than that. I would never take nutrition advice from a doctor, let alone a TV doctor.

I highly recommend reading some of the sticky posts at the top of this page, and really educating yourself on healthy, sustainable diets, whether they be clean/paleo/keto/CICO/whatever, because right now what you are doing is neither healthy nor sustainable. Rapid weightloss may look good, but when you are essentially starving yourself, you are going to impact your metabolism in a negative way. The less you eat while losing weight, the less you'll get to eat when it comes time for maintenance. There is no point in losing weight if it isn't sustainable, spoken from experience having previously gotten to goal weight eating 500 calories per day and then subsequently gaining back the 106lbs I lost PLUS 45 more for good measure.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @thorpet54 - you have already gotten two great replies. Just to expound a bit that it is impossible to get all the micronutrients your body needs to be healthy with a super low calorie diet. Even at the typical diet for weight loss, it can be difficult, so even after increasing caloric intake as has been suggested, a multivitamin is likely a good idea.

You can look up the Biggest Loser study showing the deleterious effects of starvation diets on the long term metabolism of people who were on that show. Those people are now more wrecked and unhealthy than before they went on the show.

LC is definitely the way to go as would be indicated here:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets#section8

However, don't get sucked into the notion you need to add fat to anything as you want to burn what is on your body. Second, don't fear protein. In fact, having a healthy dose in your first meal of the day will help you not overeat later. See this for more on that:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/07/13/does-tim-ferriss-30g-of-protein-work/

Good luck in reaching your goals in a healthy fashion!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    thorpet54 wrote: »
    I was going for the 800 calorie as it's recommended by Dr Mosley (TV diet guy) and it's just meant for 8 weeks. After that it's suggested that you use the meal guides but on a 5-2 plan. As I said above, the last person that I would take nutrition advice from is a TV Doctor. If you want to do some reading up on Keto, I'd highly suggest googling Leanne Vogel, Jason Fung, Robb Wolf, and Mark Sisson for starters, for information simply on low carb, this group has a wealth of resources in the pinned posts

My main problem is that I can barely walk due to hip problem, so that stops any lower body exercise. So I'm quite inactive. You don't NEED to exercise to lose weight, 80% of weightloss happens in the kitchen. That said, it certainly won't hurt, do you have access to a pool or a stationary bike? Both are low impact and might be possible with your hip problem

Have gotten used to no bread, pasta, spuds over last few weeks - use part of my carb allowance on milk for my coffee - don't really feel hungry / but could happily murder a crisp! Not really a sweet eater - prefer savoury snacks. I'm definitely a salty and savory person, nuts are a great snack when following a Keto/low carb diet and can easily help bump up your calorie intake while staying in your macros

Quite enjoying the low carb meals - though not looking forward to courgette spaghetti. If you aren't looking forward to it, then don't eat it. Keto/low carb is about keeping your carbs low, nothing says that you have to eat foods that you don't like/want.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I love courgette spaghetti! They are the yummiest veggie in meat, sauce, and cheese.
    But like the previous poster said, no need to bother eating it if you don't care for it. Most above ground veggies are equally scrumptious drowned in meat, sauce and cheese.
    Now I want a courgette lasagna!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Any diet that low in calories should be medically monitored IMO. I would hope that if I were ever in desperate need of a hip replacement and concomitant weight loss for that replacement I would have a physician referring me to a registered dietician, obesity clinic or something similar. JMHO.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good on you for taking some positive steps to get things going.

The other consideration will be that you need something sustainable and 800cal a day isn’t sustainable long term (nor is a shake diet unless you never want to eat food again but it’s obviously given you a great boost to start with!) you need a lower bmi for safety during surgery but you also need to try and maintain a lower weight to reduce wear on your new hip and save yourself a future replacement too soon.
    I’d suggest as much as possible working in the swimming pool or doing other low impact exercise - the better your muscle function when you go into surgery the better your recovery will be (I’m sure your surgeon has already said all this)

You should lose at a decent rate at 1200-1500 cals or even more than that depending on your stats - particularly based on having a fair amount to lose.

I’ve dropped just under 1kg a week on 1200 calories starting at a bmi of 32 and being female and very short (so have lower resting calories than a taller/heavier person) - albeit with some exercise in there too - but as said above it’s almost all about what happens in the kitchen. You can absolutely do this on a reasonable number of calories and eating lots of yummy foods! Great work so far - and good luck switching to something more sustainable long term :)

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I came to keto in part to help me reduce inflammation so my hip arthritis would slow down. I had pain and bone spurs by time I was 38/39 and I started keto at 41 in an effort to slow it down. It worked. I'm 44 now and I still find that when my carbs creep up, I have more pain. If I keep carbs below 20g (closer to zero the better) I manage much better.

I mention it because I know you want to lose fast, but too low of calories may not be in your best interest. Perhaps you'll get a bit less reduced pain, like me, and that will give you the time to do it safely, so you aren't nutrient deficient going into a surgery. KWIM?

I ate an average of 1500 kcal a day and still lost 2-3 lbs a week, and I only had 25 lbs to lose to get into a normal BMI. I stopped losing at 40 lbs. even that was a faster loss than most use.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Are you under doctor's supervision for this diet? Please, if you are not, see a doctor and discuss this plan with them. Get them monitoring and supervising your health, while you do this. No one here is qualified or able to offer advice on this amount of calories (without violating the TOS). We can help with low-carb (as has been said), but we can't endorse a <1200 calories/day diet. You need a doctor involved for that.
  • thorpet54
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Are you under doctor's supervision for this diet? Please, if you are not, see a doctor and discuss this plan with them. Get them monitoring and supervising your health, while you do this. No one here is qualified or able to offer advice on this amount of calories (without violating the TOS). We can help with low-carb (as has been said), but we can't endorse a <1200 calories/day diet. You need a doctor involved for that.

Having blood tests today and seeing GP next week. Saw a 'Healthcare professional' few weeks back - he didn't seem concerned about my planned 800 calories, which was the target while on the liquid diet also. I follow the Mediterranean diet from meal planner in the book - oily fish, nuts, salad etc. Am already on vit D - so hope blood tests will show am doing ok now on low carb diet.

The diet I'm following was shown on BBC and is currently run in Daily Mail apparently - so thought it was pretty standard - for a short term plan.

Never realised how many carbs in so many things - could use half my allowance on a tangerine for example. A whole new world and lifestyle, hopefully.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Having blood tests today and seeing GP next week. Saw a 'Healthcare professional' few weeks back - he didn't seem concerned about my planned 800 calories, which was the target while on the liquid diet also. I follow the Mediterranean diet from meal planner in the book - oily fish, nuts, salad etc. Am already on vit D - so hope blood tests will show am doing ok now on low carb diet.

The diet I'm following was shown on BBC and is currently run in Daily Mail apparently - so thought it was pretty standard - for a short term plan.

Never realised how many carbs in so many things - could use half my allowance on a tangerine for example. A whole new world and lifestyle, hopefully.

:+1:
    Sorry for the hassle but we are required to say our piece as mods. Looks like you are supervised. :smile:
    I've heard of the diet. I just think there are better ways to do the thing. But I don't have to live with the pain that you do so it isn't my call.

It is surprising on the carb counts for sure. But through low-carb, and yummy fats mixed in, I discovered a love for things like broccoli. courgette, turnip and spinach greens, and etc that I never thought I could have. I lost 102lb in 1.5 years on that carb level myself, but it took much longer as I ate higher calories. I kept of 92lb of it. I started weight lifting and gained a little muscle. My body has clearly told me it has no interest in re-losing the rest. :smirk:

Tangent...anyway....
    Welcome to the group. We have a lot of resources in the LaunchPad sticky at the top of the group. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest
    The FAQs are helpful. And the recipe section has links to a lot of recipe sites members have found useful.

Just post any questions or if/when you need support.
    Have a wonderful day!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I love courgette spaghetti! They are the yummiest veggie in meat, sauce, and cheese.
    But like the previous poster said, no need to bother eating it if you don't care for it. Most above ground veggies are equally scrumptious drowned in meat, sauce and cheese.
    Now I want a courgette lasagna!

I agree with bacon slave. adding that Cabbage, thinly sliced then sautéed , is a great carrier in place of spaghetti noodles.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Think I posted in the 'introduce' thread on main forum by mistake! 😕

Hi, I am in desperate need of a new hip - can't get one until my bmi 35-40. So a way to go for me. Went on a slimfast shake diet for past 3 weeks and lost 15kgs. But hard to drink those damn things 3 times a day - plus they have a lot of sugar & carbs - then found the 8 week blood sugar diet and started it last Friday. So nice to eat again - especially bacon - the moment I took the 2 slices from under grill was almost orgasmic! Anyhoo, managing to keep carbs at 20g and total calories at 800 - though often less. Am struggling to be convinced that eating all this food will give me continued weight loss. As I lost all the 'water weight' on liquid diet - is it likely I will lose 14kgs in 8 weeks as suggested by diet book?

@thorpet54 I wish you the best of success. I have had three hip replacements. Well the last on was a revision after mowing on a step bank and ripping out the socket screws when I rolled down the steep bank.

While I did not do keto for weight loss but pain management I did lose 50 pounds and have maintained that loss for three years now while continuing to eat the same way of 50 grams of carbs daily with total calorie count in the 2500 range when I spot check one or twice a year.

From day one I have only had one rule and it has never changed.

I do not eat/drink foods containing added sugar and or any form of any grain.

New hips when needed are AWESOME.

Best of success.
  • hohey
    hohey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the 800 cal plan, for 8 weeks. Its a good diet, I'm 4 weeks in and have lost 11lbs already. Low cal diets do not set you up to fail! I do a lot of research as I'm diabetic. My carbs are well under 20 g. I eat eggs, salmon, salad, cream, strawberries, salad, lots of above ground green veg. Its healthy and sustainable. Its been shown that low cal diets encourage people to carry on because weight loss makes you continue. I will be going full on me to after the 8 weeks. Blood sugar has dropped too. Continue what you are doing, there's a lot of research out there, good luck.