Downside to Low-Carb

2»

Replies

• VeeGeeMom
    VeeGeeMom Posts: 21 Member
    We are using the Atkins frozen dinners and I like that no matter what is going on with my day I KNOW there is a sensible meal in the freezer that we are doing ok with. NO cheating on the way home because I am not sure what is for dinner. But the Atkins shakes, bars and candies, are trigger foods. I will not eat just one so I stay away from those.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    I never had a super sweet tooth so sweets weren't my downfall. That being said I never thought I would be able to go without some sort of sweetener in my coffee and now I can't. Tried once and it tasted so awful. Same with sweet tea. Used to drink it all the time and I almost can't get it down now.

I like a piece of dark chocolate now and then, but milk chocolate is so super sweet I don't even like it anymore!

I do miss breads, pastas and french fries....LOL...but the few times I have eaten those things my stomach hasn't loved me at all. It's not worth it!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    I honestly love Epic's meat bars. They do use sugar in some of their bars, (usually honey) but there are many that do not contain sugar. I also appreciate their efforts to use only grass fed meat whole foods in their bars and my personal favorites are the sriracha chicken and sea salt and pepper venison. I keep them around for when I'm traveling for work, and have usually one stashed in my desk and one in my car for when I'm ridiculous and haven't planned well for my day.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I honestly love Epic's meat bars. They do use sugar in some of their bars, (usually honey) but there are many that do not contain sugar. I also appreciate their efforts to use only grass fed meat whole foods in their bars and my personal favorites are the sriracha chicken and sea salt and pepper venison. I keep them around for when I'm traveling for work, and have usually one stashed in my desk and one in my car for when I'm ridiculous and haven't planned well for my day.

Off to Google *meat bars* and places to find...
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »

Careful. I feel like googling "meat bar" could return some NSFW results. :D

OMG!!!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »

Careful. I feel like googling "meat bar" could return some NSFW results. :D

:joy:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I have stuck to my one rule for the last four years and that has worked out well to do keto.

I do not eat/drink any food containing added sugars and or any form of any grain.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

I just wish I could find an Epic bar without berries or some other kind of fruit or honey... should be no carbs at all, otherwise it isn't really a meat bar.

Jerky is a similar story... there are varying amounts, but they all have something added for flavoring or preservatives that have carbs. Best I can do is find the very lowest carb count.

There are these Old Wisconsin brand beef sausage sticks that I love. They come in a re-sealable bag of 30 and are not refrigerated on the shelf. But there is a warning to refrigerate after opening (I don't always do that and have been fine). So I take these hiking and stuff a lot. The 1g of carb comes from dextrose based on the ingredient list. I assume this is used as a preservative. But that is about the best I've been able to find. Otherwise, I'll see some jerky with flavorings that cause a 1 oz. portion to have as much as 5g of carbs!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

I just wish I could find an Epic bar without berries or some other kind of fruit or honey... should be no carbs at all, otherwise it isn't really a meat bar.

Jerky is a similar story... there are varying amounts, but they all have something added for flavoring or preservatives that have carbs. Best I can do is find the very lowest carb count.

There are these Old Wisconsin brand beef sausage sticks that I love. They come in a re-sealable bag of 30 and are not refrigerated on the shelf. But there is a warning to refrigerate after opening (I don't always do that and have been fine). So I take these hiking and stuff a lot. The 1g of carb comes from dextrose based on the ingredient list. I assume this is used as a preservative. But that is about the best I've been able to find. Otherwise, I'll see some jerky with flavorings that cause a 1 oz. portion to have as much as 5g of carbs!

That sounds like my Duke's smoked pork shorty sausages from WalMart that have 1 gram of sugar per two links.

Them and almonds make great non stop driving meals. :)
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    trader joe's has meat sticks with no carbs at all no added sugar either , called Chomp beef sticks , they also have turkey ones . Had 1 yesterday very good too , with some cheese awesome .

but the cauliflower pizza dough .....not good 17 carbs a serving which is 1/4 the pizza and this is a small round pizza crust , make your own !!

yesterday I also made a zucchini cheese stick (homemade) and it was wonderful , it looks like cheese bread you buy at pizza places , but like 3 carbs a serving which is like 3 good size pieces. (zucchini , mozzarella, eggs , coconut flour , parm-cheese)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    edited July 2018
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Here's a disconcerting one for you: Milk (particularly skim milk) actually tasting sweet.

Yes! I had some milk recently, and it was soooo sweet. Course, I have 28 sweet teeth, so I had to get it out of my sight, or I was going to drink the whole carton.

I can't do the sugar alcohols at all due to gastro effects. I think those bars could be a slippery slope for me, so actually glad I can't eat them.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,672 Member
    Quest, Atkins, and “sugar free” treats... aka ketofied Frankenfoods
    Yes, perfect, love that! :laugh:
  • tammyfranks2
    the downside is how everyone in the main chat room on the forum are so rude about Low carb , I was being nice to someone , and they said they were doing low carb , man it jumped off from there , so sad people are so mean to each other , I do want to say I was not mean or rude , I finally just left , I am fine if someone want to eat vegan or CICO or hell not eat at all , but why do people have to be so rude about low carb ??????
  • tammyfranks2
    well I am going to answer myself , LOL I take it back someone actually took up for me and Low carb ,......there are great people out there !!!