Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• dorisb57
    dorisb57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Day #1 is done, hope everyone had a great day! I will be here to give and receive support, so let's do this together!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi, I'm Felicia, a T2 diabetic. I'm not new to Keto, but I've been off the woe for a while now. I'm attempting to keep my blood sugar (& A1C) at a healthy range through Keto and intermittent fasting (18:6, sometimes OMAD).
    I follow Dr. Jason Fung's Obesity Code, which brought me back to Keto. I have about 35lbs to lose, but I'm in Keto for the long-haul, not just for weight loss.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you better!!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Hi there folks. I had thought that Keto was a fad diet and not sustainable long term. I also thought it would be counter productive to Heart health. I mean switching from low fat to high fat, how can that be good? I happened across the documentary "The Magic Pill" on Netflix and thought there might be something to this. I started last week and am down 10 pounds since the 10th because I have eased into this. I am thinking this is a LCHF lifestyle but if KETO happens it happens (it would help if I gave up scotch, wine and craft beer). I only had one beer Sunday which is shocking for me. I did lots of research and am hitting all my numbers. I gave MCT oil a try this morning (1 tsp.). This is the first weekend I have lost weight in years. Pretty cool since I had four pints of craft beer Saturday night at a local brewery.
  • amywizengamot
    amywizengamot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @amywizengamot Are you under the care of a neurologist regarding your eating keto for seizures and migranes? I hope you find it helpful. <3
    Hi! I am still under the care of my neuro and taking my current medication, but we’ve never landed on a drug, combination, or dose that was endurably effective. She suggested this as a potential complementary treatment.

Thank you, it is responsible and kind of you to ask!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @amywizengamot it is good to hear neuros are suggesting keto rather than believing keto is too hard to "stick to" and therefore not bother mentioning. I trialed it for my neurological movement disorder and while it did not help, 2 years later I am still eating LCHF simply because it is satiating for me and reduces my cravings. I really struggled with maintenance my 1st year when eating higher carbs. Now all the sweet stuff and snack foods are of little interest.

Dr. Domenic D'Agostino PhD has some really interesting videos on youtube. His beginnings for ketogenic research was with the US Navy trying to develop ways to help U.S. Navy deep sea divers go deeper into the ocean without having seizures. That lead him to ketogenic diets t control seizures. I often get the impression that most of the time he'd much rather discuss his research than keto for weight loss but due to the popularity of keto for weight loss he often gets diverted into weight loss discussions. :/
  • posh091979
    posh091979 Posts: 4,834 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi all!

I'm Stacey and I'm going to take a stab at Keto. I've done just about every diet known to man with little results. After all the research I've done on Keto, I think this will be the help I need to combat my ailments (PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Pre-diabetes, and that god-awful term - morbid obesity).

I say that I unofficially started Keto this past weekend (7/21/18), but am struggling with some carbs. However, I'm already feeling a difference in being aware of the carbs I was eating and trimming that down big time. I downloaded an app for my iPhone that helps track the macros you should be getting for your gender, weight, and goal weight. I bet if I take time to use it, it will help better! lol.

I'm really enjoying the advice, support, and recipes on this group so far! Keep it going!
  • MsOhSooo
    MsOhSooo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I officially started keto on July 2, 2018. It was going well. I lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks then I fell off a little... okay.. a lot.. the weekend of July 14-15 when we took the family to the amusement park. :neutral: But I’ve been back to keto with the addition of intermittent fasting since Sunday and I’m losing again!

A little background on me: I’m an accountant, wife, and mom of 6. I had my last baby over a year ago and now I’m ready to get these extra pounds off. I’m reading as much as I can and learning how to make better food choices. I can’t lie, giving up sweets is hard for me but I’m just taking it one day at a time.

I look forward to learning from you all!
  • thatdupeally
    thatdupeally Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started keto a few years back, Lost over 100lbs and kept 100lbs off for years. I got depressed and gained about 15lbs back. I'm here to lose that and maybe another 15/20 before trying to have another baby after multiple losses. I have multiple autoimmune diseases that branch from Lupus. (feel free to add me :smile: )
  • Mommyunruhx2
    Mommyunruhx2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I started Keto on July 10! Yea Tuesday but I had my mind where it needed to be and knew if I would have said ehh I'll start Monday it would have never happened. I am not sure how much I am down as I did not have a scale prior to starting but I would say I am down about 10 lbs. I was uneducated when starting and didn't realize hidden carbs so now that I feel like I am starting to understand I am hoping to get into ketosis as my strips say I am only in trace Ketosis. THis is honestly the best I have felt on a "diet" even though I know this will have to be a lifestyle change. If I could get myself into ketosis more than trace I would be so happy any hints?
  • mmoleon
    mmoleon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My name is Marlene. I started keto on February 25. I have dropped 19 pounds, I am stuck at the same weight for 2 months. Any advice?
  • auggi99
    auggi99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello there! So happy to have found a keto support group that isn’t on Facebook!! I have been keto now for 46 days. I started keto for two reason. 1) my husband lost 100 lbs on keto and I was beyond inspired. 2) I struggled (past tense! Praise the Lord!) with food addiction/sugar addiction & binging and had lost hope hitting rock bottom. I have been AMAZED with how living a keto lifestyle has concurred my addictions, helped me to shed body fat, given me energy and patience to be a fun and way more active mom and so much more. I look forward to supporting you along your journey and leaning on you for support and encouragement as well. Thank you!!
  • ritchiehl88
    ritchiehl88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! My names Hollie and I started keto 7/11/18. I have had 2 cheat days in which I ate 5 cookies one day and a slice of cake the other. Prior to these days I was down 6lbs. So I guess technically today is my day 1 again. I struggle with sugar addiction and must find a way to give it up and not give in. I signed up for a half marathon in December in FL where I live. This will be my 3rd half. At the weight I'm currently at, running hurts a lot and I know I need to get weight off my body to improve my performance.

SW 7/11/18: 188
    7/19/18: 183
    CW 7/26/18: 185
    GW 160
  • auggi99
    Options
    Hey @mmoleon do you track your macros or monitor your blood ketones? Those are things that make a big difference for me.
  • mmoleon
    mmoleon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks @auggi99
    No, I don't track macros. I think I have to do it. Do you use fitnesspal to do it?
  • auggi99
    Options
    @mmoleon I sure do. I use the calculator on www.ketokarma.com and adjust my macro goals on MyFitnessPal to match the calculator recommendations. I recalculate and adjust with every 10 lbs lost to keep on progressing.
  • seendie
    seendie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all-Here I am heading to my 70th in December and I refuse to turn 70 with so much overweight baggage. Watched The Magic Pill and it has inspired me to go on the Keto diet. I have seen first hand from friends the positive changes, and having read everyone's stories on here it is so motivating. Starting week after next, just trying to get as much information as I can so I hit the ground running. Cheers From New Zealand.
  • ArmyMedic23PFA
    ArmyMedic23PFA Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Good morning from the UK. Names Jason, been doing Keto for a week now with IF daily. But as l have loads of shakes left from my exante diet, l tend to have one of those a day to break my fast, then have a 'real food' meal at the end of the day. Only issue is one shake is around 26g of carb!!!!. Enough of my waffle, feel free to add me as a friend
  • michellewolf6834
    michellewolf6834 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am starting Keto tomorrow. I'm almost done researching and getting informed about a new lifestyle. Please feel free to friend me as I love to have support and to support others.
  • Leeleelahlah
    Leeleelahlah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've tried the keto diet before, but didn't last very long (keto flu and CRAZY carb cravings were my downfall). I've fallen off the wagon lately in regards to healthy eating and weight loss, so I've decided to try keto again. Being part of a support group will hopefully help me out this time! I'm doing more research on it, too, to get me through those issues.
  • mnvela
    mnvela Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Day number 3 started. I've found it easy doing the fitness part of my program. But as I've been getting older, I'm finding that working out is not enough. I've been doing intermittent fasting and a low carb diet - but with the emphasis on protein versus fat. This is way different for me and has been a little more difficult. I'm still learning about the best way to intake the fat calories through out my eating window. I've been finding I blow through my protein and carb grams per day early then struggle to intake the fat. Hopefully I can learn from you all.