Any work lunch ideas?

I really need to start taking my lunch for work instead of buying it from nearby. Anyone have any ideas of quick, easy lunches that I could possibly make the night before? Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Xalanii
    Xalanii Posts: 20 Member
    1/2 cup of rice, broccoli or whatever veg to have around, paired with half a can of tuna and teriyaki sauce.

Under 300 calories and high in protein, I like to add some black beans for the fiber.
  • Cindy_Windy
    Cindy_Windy Posts: 2 Member
    Probably not the NIGHT before, but if you're okay with making things in bulk, try these:

Pickled daikon and carrot: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/vietnamese-pickled-carrots-daikon/
    Kimchi: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-kimchi-at-home-189390
    Pickled cucumbers: https://thelemonbowl.com/japanese-quick-pickled-cucumbers/

And then when you want to eat it, get some nice red leaf lettuce, grilled chicken and your favourite picked item and make lettuce wraps or a nice salad!
  • Skyfallbw
    Skyfallbw Posts: 12 Member
    If you like salads, try making a salad in a mason jar the night before. Start with your dressing first, then some beans, heart palms, cucumbers, beets, avocados, and top with lettuce greens. Lettuce should be last so it won't wilt. Close up the jar and keep in fridge. Good for 4 days in the fridge. Chick peas are good, spinach, mushrooms and green onions and tomatoes. You can bring the dressing on the side in a small jar.
  • Woodsmoke
    Woodsmoke Posts: 360 Member
    I have cut out of a lot of carbs so I never take bread to work. I wrap light cheese triangles in packet meat slices and keep a little light dip (like tzatziki) on the side, then eat cucumber or pepper strips on the side.
  • caitlin_vanvliet
    caitlin_vanvliet Posts: 2 Member
    I cook half a chicken breast, green beans and tomatoes in a pan together and put some pesto on top. its an easy meal prep and you can eat ti hot and cold
  • trbixler40
    trbixler40 Posts: 23 Member
    Frozen bags of riced cauliflower/broccoli or cauliflower/sweet potato etc are great. Minimal calories and you can add whatever you want. Huge opportunity to bolster your servings of fruit/veggies without giving up a ton of flavor. Even exchanging a 200 calorie cup of rice for a 20 calorie cup of riced veggies with some of the recipes above would make a truckload of difference...

Convenience is key when youre busting out the door in the morning. Don't wait until the morning of. Make something healthy the night before and put some in a container for lunch right on the spot so it's ready...

Plus some of these above recipes look really good!
  • trbixler40
    trbixler40 Posts: 23 Member
    Hey, there's a great app called smart recipes that gives you really easy recipes (breakfast lunch and dinner) and it tells you how many calories are in each meal. You can even add your favourite meals t your shopping list and it will make a complete shopping list for you! I love it.
    Change4Life - Smart recipes

Downloaded...thanks April!
  • dozzon
    dozzon Posts: 3 Member
    Roast beef sandwich ( ~350Kcal)
    • 2 slices of bread (i use low carb, high protein bread)
    • ~100g Roast beef in slices (or anyway you like to cut it i guess)
    • ~40g Cottage cheese
    • Cucumbers
    • Red or Yellow paprika
    • Yellow or red onions
    • Some Chili paste (if you like a little heat - can be skipped of course)
    • Maybe some tomatoes if you like
    • Black pepper
    • Garlic powder

Mix the cottage cheese and chili paste and then make layers of roast beef, veggies and cottage cheese mix.
    Put some black pepper and garlic powder on each layer of roast beef (i usually have 2 layers of rb).
  • amyrooni
    amyrooni Posts: 20 Member
    Cottage cheese topped with cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes, and kalamata olives.
  • amyrooni
    amyrooni Posts: 20 Member
    Chicken salad in lettuce leaves. Fresh berries.
  • ZooKeeper9663
    ZooKeeper9663 Posts: 1 Member
    Can of chick peas, sweet peppers cut into chunks, celery, radish, cherry tomatoes, red onions (basically, whatever you have in the crisper that isn't leafy). Marinate in a couple of tablespoons of good olive oil, lemon juice to taste, black pepper and a hit of oregano. I add feta when I dish it out, I find it loses its flavour if just left in the marinade, but it's filling, healthy and the flavours have a nice spike to them :-) It can stay in the fridge and you can just serve from the container when it's time to leave for work.
  • melanie8135
    melanie8135 Posts: 7 Member
    measem1 wrote: »
    You could also bring last nights leftovers, I do this often, Tonight making a Walking Off Weight recipe called "Stir fried Orange Chicken and Broccoli" sounds real good and will have left overs since only 2 of us are eating...anyway just a thought...

Could you share the recipe please it sounds lovely.
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    I usually make something on Sundays that I can take for lunches most of the week. Things like Shepherd's pie, chicken & veggies, or pasta. If you don't mind eating the same thing all week I find it the easiest. I pre-pack portions into containers so I can just grab in the morning. On week's I don't make anything I usually take salads, boiled eggs, deli meat, cheese, carrot sticks, cucumber. I try to keep healthy snacks in my drawer too like nuts, fruit cups and homemade granola.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    I do a lot of leftover freezing. For instance, maybe I make skinny mongolian beef for dinner, I have 2 servings leftover so I freeze them in freezer bags and spread them out flat to freeze. Then they store easily in an upright position in a box in my freezer for easy access. I do this for most dinners I make, and when I want a convenient lunch, I go through my frozen meals and take a bag with me to work. It's not much different than buying a healthy choice frozen dinner, except maybe cheaper and you can control what goes into it. Most things freeze well, just make sure you aren't allowing it to sit out for long. Serve, eat, then immediately quick-cool and freeze.
  • Kathie47
    Kathie47 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I too tend to cook on Sundays so I can either take leftovers for lunch or just heat up dinner when I get home. However, when I want to take a salad to work I marinate the tomatoes and whatever protein I am having (usually chicken or shrimp) in the dressing overnight. I put some lettuce, spinach or arugula in a sandwich baggie. Sometime I take extras in a snack bag like cucumber or red peppers cut up. Occasionally I throw some Feta cheese and Kalamata olives (sliced) into the container with the marinated vegetables (tomatoes or red peppers) and protein. I have a few other easy salads that I prep the night before if anyone is interested.
  • Alliebaba510
    Alliebaba510 Posts: 5 Member
    I make lots of soups - I like hot food at lunch - I find it more filling. Put the soup in containers, freeze and grab one on my way to work. I do the same with low calorie muffins, mini frittata.
  • Ezinnes
    Ezinnes Posts: 3 Member
    I often take a variety of stuff that I can just grab the night before. A small tin of tuna with lemon and pepper, slice of bread (toast it at lunch time), carrot sticks, celery sticks and hommus and a boiled egg. I also pack an apple and a mandarin, or some berries or other fruit and a small Greek yoghurt pouch. I am on low cal at the moment and these little things consumed through the day seem to keep me satisfied, are easy to prep and take when in a rush, and even though they seem a bit 'boring', taste great :-)
  • MomOnAMission76
    MomOnAMission76 Posts: 200 Member
    I made a yummy and easy recipe that I thought I'd share. I kind of made it up so I don't have a link:

1 lb ground turkey cooked with low sodium taco seasoning
    1 cup black beans
    1 cup corn (I used frozen)
    1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
    2 zucchini, diced and sauteed
    Additional seasoning to taste (I avoided more salt, but added some chili powder for extra spice)

I cooked up the turkey and zucchini in separate pans, then mixed in the other ingredients. It made a huge container of about 4-6 servings (depending on your appetite). I served it over cauliflower rice to keep the carbs down. Very filling lunch! Can serve with avocado on top if desired.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2018
    I made a chicken salad today for lunch tomorrow and I think I struck gold. Lol

I blended 1 Oz Neufchâtel cheese, 1 tbsp mayo, 1/4 cup fresh spinach, black pepper & onion powder and added it to a drained 5 Oz can of chicken. Each portion is about 140 calories.

I divided it into two portions and will have one with 4 or 5 Milton’s multigrain crackers.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Here's my lunch prep this week (makes 4 lunches): Ranch-dip Turkey Burger Patties and Broccoli Coleslaw (about 430 calories).

Turkey Burgers:

Mix 1 lb lean ground turkey, 1 egg, 1/4 cup italian breadcrumbs, 1 grated yellow onion (squeeze the liquid out), 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp ketchup, and spices (dried parsley, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper). Divide into 4, form patties with a depression in the middle for even cooking, and cook over medium heat (in 1 tbsp olive oil) for 7 minutes on each side.

Ranch Dip:

Combine 4 oz nonfat greek yogurt with 2 tsp of hidden valley ranch dip seasoning.

Broccoli Coleslaw:

Mix 6 oz nonfat plain greek yogurt, 1/4 cup mayo, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1 tbsp honey, and spices (garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, salt, and pepper). Stir well, then add 12 oz (1 bag) of broccoli slaw and mix to combine.

In each tupperware, place one burger with ranch dip on top, next to 1/4 of the coleslaw. This probably took me about 45 minutes on a Sunday. Not bad at all!
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 208 Member
    measem1 wrote: »
    You could also bring last nights leftovers, I do this often, Tonight making a Walking Off Weight recipe called "Stir fried Orange Chicken and Broccoli" sounds real good and will have left overs since only 2 of us are eating...anyway just a thought...

Leftovers are my daily lunches.
  • Sue3113
    Sue3113 Posts: 2 Member
    mini seven layer dip with a few chips..easy and filling...make a few at a time, to have lunch or a snack.