Keto Test Strips

Options
Jackie_Paper
Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
Hi, I am pretty new, I have been eating on the keto plan for a month now, and it's working better for me than every other thing I had tried in the past. I want to buy some of those test strips to be able to check that i am in / maintaining ketosis. Does any one here use them, find them helpful, and / or able to recommend a good brand? Thanks!

Replies

• auggi99
    auggi99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey @Jackie_Paper the urine strips are hit or miss depending on the time of day and your level of hydration and how effectively your body is UTILIZING ketones vs them spilling over into your urine they CAN be very discouraging. My husband and I use the blood ketone meter and don’t test very often as how we feel/weight being lost seems to be a good enough indicator sometimes but I would highly recommend the blood meter over the urine strips.
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am pretty new, I have been eating on the keto plan for a month now, and it's working better for me than every other thing I had tried in the past. I want to buy some of those test strips to be able to check that i am in / maintaining ketosis. Does any one here use them, find them helpful, and / or able to recommend a good brand? Thanks!

I use them and they do seem to work fine. Of course I also rely on body measurement and clothes' sizing and the scale to measure my progress. The most reliable is the blood meter.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think i can put myself in the category of "total beginner and just want tisee if i am in ketosis"
  • ArmyMedic23PFA
    ArmyMedic23PFA Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think i can put myself in the category of "total beginner and just want tisee if i am in ketosis"

Ditto Jackie x
  • Shoop69
    Shoop69 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used urine sticks for a couple weeks in the beginning, but soon learnt to identify the physical signs of being in ketosis - so stopped used them. I figure if I'm less than 20g carb, I'm in. They were definitely handy just to KNOW. more or less.. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I did get the strips and was going to use them. After more research and recognizing body symptoms I decided I would just focus on diet and let my body size and scale be my guide. Been drinking lots of water and losing weight two weeks in and all is good. Been in a bit of a stall for two days but that does not a stall make. Sticking with the plan and eating when hungry.
  • tdufford
    tdufford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I actually got the Keto Mojo blood testing kit. I test my Ketones and Glucose daily and calculate my GKI from that. I'm still learning, after about 6 weeks of keto, how different daily activities and foods effect my numbers.
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been told that the urine sticks are great in the beginning to help you sort of monitor whether you are in ketosis, but are not exact. They're cheap on Amazon, so I ordered some to help me sort of figure out how things and different foods affect my ketosis state, but understand there are much better tests out there.