Ad Libitum August

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
I don't post in this group often, although most of you know me from other groups. For those that know me, I'm pretty much an old-school low-carber. On that note, I am pretty anti-calorie counting. I've run several challenges on the other group, and the most popular one was several years back when we did an "ad libitum" challenge. The stated purpose was for others to see if I was completely off the rails. For one month, people were to eat as much and as often as they wanted. They were asked to only obey their carb restriction limit. A few people joined just to prove to me that they would gain weight eating that way. In the end, the majority of people lost weight and gained confidence in their low-carb diets.

For the month of August, I'm doing it again. You can read about why I encourage this by clicking the first link below (you may need to going the main low-carber group if you haven't). If you are willing to do this, and give it a shot, you'll need to join the official group for that. Keto works very well with ad libitum. Many people call it "lazy keto" but I prefer to call it just keto. It's the way things are supposed to be. Dang, I'm sounding like the extremist that I am again. :wink:

Learn more:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10682877/ad-libitum-august-18

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/127716-low-carber-ad-libitum-experience

Replies

• sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I hope to join a future one. Not that I don’t trust you or your crazy methods (hehe), but I have 1 month to go before a vacation that I’m scared I’d bomb just before. I have costumes to fit into! Ha!

But I am intrigued and want to test it out for myself on a future one, when I don’t have something (other than health) at stake.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    sykin wrote: »
    I hope to join a future one. Not that I don’t trust you or your crazy methods (hehe), but I have 1 month to go before a vacation that I’m scared I’d bomb just before. I have costumes to fit into! Ha!

But I am intrigued and want to test it out for myself on a future one, when I don’t have something (other than health) at stake.

No worries. I have structured the group so that people can join at a later date, when they are ready to give it a shot. I am going to try and collate the data. I am especially interested in something that I did not track the first time (drop out rate). There were a couple people who were losing, but then vanished. And, some that weren't losing and also vanished. The end results, that I have, were the people who reported through the whole month. It reeks of success bias (those who did well stuck around and those who didn't quit).
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    just out of curiosity: does that mean, i am not able to gain weight without carbs? or i just have to be in a heavy surplus?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    just out of curiosity: does that mean, i am not able to gain weight without carbs? or i just have to be in a heavy surplus?

No, you can gain, or maintain. Some just find it harder to gain when carbs are low to zero for a couple of reasons:
    1. You don't feel the need to eat lots of food when you are getting quality foods in that meet your nutritional needs at a lower calorie intake compared to lower quality foods (like refined and processed carbs, or possibly some sugary foods).
    2. Some find they can eat more when it isn't carbs and the type of food they eat protects them from weight gain to a certain degree.

I find a bit of both. I tend to eat less when i am not eating carbs, but I also lose at a slightly faster rate than my calorie intake would suggest. Ymmv. :)

I've joined the group. It looks like there's close to a couple dozen participants so far.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try it too!