Who's getting sucked back into WoW?

13

Replies

  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2018
    Kinda wanna get into WoW... Thinking that this summer might be a good time to try it out. Except grinding through the awful beginner levels sounds terrible.

    Well, if you can find a guild willing to help beginners, you can work towards the gear that gives you more xp - so grinding is a little faster.

    ETA: Whoops. Didn't see this was post was back in May. Nvm :D
  • UnicornSmoothie
    UnicornSmoothie Posts: 20 Member
    I recently got back into it and now I've been playing just... all the time. I'm trying to "catch up" before BfA comes out. I joined an RP server and found a decent RP guild, which has made the experience completely different this time around. It's actually been really nice and quite a lot of fun. I play Alliance on the RP server, but my heart lies with the Horde!
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    I've been clean for five months. The thing about WoW is I can't take it in moderation. If I play, I get sucked into the Azeroth universe and I play it every free moment I get. I can't, it's like crack to me. That said... FOR THE HORDE!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,256 Member
    I haven't played since WotL and just been playing hardcore for the last 30 days or so. So many changes - some good, some bad, but some great content. Keep in mind I have 4 expansions to chew through, but loving what they've done with the heirlooms and improved ability to level alts quicker.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 220 Member
    edited April 2018
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    loving what they've done with the heirlooms and improved ability to level alts quicker.
    I guess I'm in the minority, at least from what I read on MMO Champion. I don't like heirlooms and won't use them. I love the leveling aspect of WoW. I'm playing the free, level to 20, because I have the itch again but don't want to shell out a sub or tokens atm. I don't even use my chauffeur motorcycle and prefer to run until I get a mount.
    I'm probably a dying breed as most are the boost and "go, go, go, goooooooooooo!" types. I'm ok with that though. :)

    We'll probably go back once BoA comes out then quit again once we're max level. I have played from the end of vanilla to present. I began raiding in BC and stopped in MoP due to burn out. I'm a "casual" now as I don't raid nor do dungeons. I really love the game but I love playing it solo or with just my husband. In fact, I really wish it was more like SWTOR where you can dungeon solo but have companions fill out the party. That would make this introvert very happy.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,256 Member
    Asheea wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    loving what they've done with the heirlooms and improved ability to level alts quicker.
    I guess I'm in the minority, at least from what I read on MMO Champion. I don't like heirlooms and won't use them. I love the leveling aspect of WoW. I'm playing the free, level to 20, because I have the itch again but don't want to shell out a sub or tokens atm. I don't even use my chauffeur motorcycle and prefer to run until I get a mount.
    I'm probably a dying breed as most are the boost and "go, go, go, goooooooooooo!" types. I'm ok with that though. :)

    We'll probably go back once BoA comes out then quit again once we're max level. I have played from the end of vanilla to present. I began raiding in BC and stopped in MoP due to burn out. I'm a "casual" now as I don't raid nor do dungeons. I really love the game but I love playing it solo or with just my husband. In fact, I really wish it was more like SWTOR where you can dungeon solo but have companions fill out the party. That would make this introvert very happy.

    So are you interested in WoW Classic? I cut my teeth in vanilla and I'm more like you. I'm not one to rush through and I simply enjoy the content. I see the heirlooms and vehicles as a nice compromise. I still run from point to point when entering new zones, but mount up on repetitive tasks. I'm all about the journey and don't use the level ups. I just don't think you can be as effective without leveling a class from 1-Max.

    I'm a casual raider - I've always managed to find a guild of professionals able to balance work and family life, so when we raid we get tasks done and very respectful of everyone's time. My son is 10 and I've been tutoring him into WoW - know his role and how to play in an MMO environment.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 220 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    So are you interested in WoW Classic?
    Nah, not really interested in going back to the old days. I really just want to play the game and have fun without stressing about douches yelling at me or going so fast that I can't loot, or take in what is really going on around me. I did some LFD in Legion, and it was so stressful that I quickly stopped. I main a Shaman healer so waiting was never an issue. It's the go as fast as you can that gets to me. I miss the times when we had to take a minute and CC to get through a dungeon. The few times I did this expac I couldn't even loot without the tank running waaaay the flip out there. He was to the next pack before I was able to loot, much less mount up and run to him. I had to ghost wolf it most of the time.

    My guild fell apart when my husband and I took a break during MoP. He was the guild leader and organized everything. During our break, many left and then it was just three people. One was holding the title until my husband came back to reclaim it. I hear/read it's wasn't just our guild. Between MoP and WoD, guilds all over our server took a massive hit. It's sad now, as there is no reason to be in a guild unless you want to raid high end. I joined several different guilds in WoD on alts but no one ever spoke back to me. No one said hi or bye, answered when I asked for help with a quest..etc. I soon left and have not re-joined another guild. I still have my old guild but it's just me and my husband now. Lot of alts from former members but no one ever comes on anymore.
    I also miss my 10 man we had in Cata. That was some good times. The way Blizz has farked with the modes just irks me. Normal is heroic now and heroic is now mythic? Whaaa...

    My kids have also played WoW. Not serious but by the age of 2 they were on one of our toons and playing with it. Mostly around town. They liked to kill the level 1 animals in the city. Change into different Druid forms, go from human to worgen and back again...etc. My daughter did some quests on her own toon just for the grins of it but it didn't last long.

    Sorry for the book. :)

  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,256 Member
    Asheea wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    So are you interested in WoW Classic?
    Nah, not really interested in going back to the old days. I really just want to play the game and have fun without stressing about douches yelling at me or going so fast that I can't loot, or take in what is really going on around me. I did some LFD in Legion, and it was so stressful that I quickly stopped. I main a Shaman healer so waiting was never an issue. It's the go as fast as you can that gets to me. I miss the times when we had to take a minute and CC to get through a dungeon. The few times I did this expac I couldn't even loot without the tank running waaaay the flip out there. He was to the next pack before I was able to loot, much less mount up and run to him. I had to ghost wolf it most of the time.

    My guild fell apart when my husband and I took a break during MoP. He was the guild leader and organized everything. During our break, many left and then it was just three people. One was holding the title until my husband came back to reclaim it. I hear/read it's wasn't just our guild. Between MoP and WoD, guilds all over our server took a massive hit. It's sad now, as there is no reason to be in a guild unless you want to raid high end. I joined several different guilds in WoD on alts but no one ever spoke back to me. No one said hi or bye, answered when I asked for help with a quest..etc. I soon left and have not re-joined another guild. I still have my old guild but it's just me and my husband now. Lot of alts from former members but no one ever comes on anymore.
    I also miss my 10 man we had in Cata. That was some good times. The way Blizz has farked with the modes just irks me. Normal is heroic now and heroic is now mythic? Whaaa...

    My kids have also played WoW. Not serious but by the age of 2 they were on one of our toons and playing with it. Mostly around town. They liked to kill the level 1 animals in the city. Change into different Druid forms, go from human to worgen and back again...etc. My daughter did some quests on her own toon just for the grins of it but it didn't last long.

    Sorry for the book. :)

    I very much appreciate the insight. I briefly worked for Blizzard in quality control and still have several friends in the project and love these stories.

    I was lucky in vanilla to meet up with a great guild of introverts who worked brilliantly together, but also remember the struggle looking for a missing role and who we could get to fill in. There was certainly much more of a sense of community back then - everyone knew the best in class on your server and this held people to a higher standard. The community has shifted and while I like the looking for group/raid features, I accept this for what it is and don't have unrealistic expectations. I appreciate that this opens up the opportunities for more players to experience content, but it also understand you are going to get more people who don't play well with others.

    It's a tricky balance to play between the hardcore and casual population and keeping a business afloat. When you include balancing international players it compounds these issues exponentially.

    So far I'm having a blast balancing my time between running through the content of the 4 expansions, PvP, dungeoneering, and looking forward to hitting Mythic content, but just taking my time for now.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    edited April 2018
    What I've experienced in Legion while running random dungeons is that no one seems to know or care what their role is. I main a huntard, but I also roll a bear and when I'm tanking, I know what I'm doing. I don't need help pulling mobs. At first I thought it was maybe a few new players who didn't grasp the dungeon group dynamic, but then I got a lot of "I'm pulling for you so we can get through this faster." IDK, I'm not there to rush through anything, and if you keep pulling, Imma let you keep that aggro lol. I play video games to relax and have fun. I've gotten to the point where I will only run dungeons or raids with guildies for this reason.

    ETA: also, this is one of the big reasons I decided to take a break. It's utter chaos in randoms anymore.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 836 Member
    I can see a lot of myself in what you guys are saying. I've played WoW on and off since vanilla and I've never experienced a phase during which I wanted to rush things or felt competetive, but I get that vibe from a lot of other players. I'm more of a content player, I even read quests! :o But it's very stressful to play with people who take it all way more serious than I do, so groups and guilds are a bit of a problem for me. I was part of a fairly nice guild once where everyone was pretty chill but then I had to stop playing for various reasons.

    I just started playing again after about one and a half years and whew, a lot has changed! I haven't gotten Legion yet and I don't know if I even want any more expansions. We'll see. I'm interested in vanilla but at the same time, I like some of the changes they've made over the years, especially story- and content-wise. This time around I decided to go back to my own roots. My first main was an Undead warlock, so I made one now and was surprised to see how much they've changed in Lordaeron. It's awesome!

    What I noticed is that WoW seems to be a lot less of a social game these days. I remember a few years back you could go to one of the major cities at any time and you'd probably find people having random conversations in the chat. Nowadays, nobody seems to talk anymore. And the realm I play on isn't even one of the low population ones.
  • krawlinmedic
    krawlinmedic Posts: 3 Member
    I recently got back into it and now I've been playing just... all the time. I'm trying to "catch up" before BfA comes out. I joined an RP server and found a decent RP guild, which has made the experience completely different this time around. It's actually been really nice and quite a lot of fun. I play Alliance on the RP server, but my heart lies with the Horde!

    I know this is a few months old, but I play on the VenCo RPPVP realm and The Thunderhoof Clan is always looking for new recruits. Of course we are a Tauren only guild but the guild is active and we have all the perks and help our low level guildies.

    Oh yeah I quit playing around the middle of Pandaria and just returned to Azeroth a couple months ago, and I love how they did Legion its fantastic. If your ever looking for a friend in VenCo hit me up on my warrior Arnoxx.
  • wackadoodle11
    wackadoodle11 Posts: 7 Member
    just saw how old this thread is .. who returned and who is returning for BFA :)
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I am returning for BFA!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,256 Member
    I returned in March 2018 and definitely in for BFA. This feels like WotLK, which to me was the best expansion.
  • andreascjonsson
    andreascjonsson Posts: 433 Member
    Im pretty much sure i will return for BFA, I stopped playing really in WOTLK becouse i didnt like cataclysm, MoP or WoD so pretty much just tried those out but never got into them. But finally legion came and i played alot of it, but then i started working nights and could never raid with my guild and without a guild the game became much more boring so i quit it. Luckily im back to working days now^^
  • wackadoodle11
    wackadoodle11 Posts: 7 Member
    yay great seeing more ppl returning, i only started wow in 2014 so missed the cata , wrotlk days which i wish i played then would have been awesome.
    i just resubbed and im guildless thinking a new toon for bfa

    What do u guys main?
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I've mained a warrior since Burning Crusade B)B)

    However I'm seriously considering my DH (who I love) or Monk.
    Need to read up on Void Elves. (I always play a Night Elf)
  • wackadoodle11
    wackadoodle11 Posts: 7 Member
    Nice!
    I have never played my DH much to actually enjoy her monk on another hand are very fun to play.

    I main Frost DK
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    I could not get into this game. Mainly because all my friends who played it worked different hours than me so I was always trying to at catch up.
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    I was a Whrath Baby and I played it a lot. In fact it was the game that got me back into gaming in general after a multi-year hiatus in 2009. I took my first break in Cata and didn't last a month. I came back and played though most of Mists and would take multi month breaks throughout that expac. I've not gotten heavy into an expac since. I sign in, goof around for a couple hours, logout and then don't touch it for months at a time. It just doesn't feel like it used to in Whrath. That's not the fault of the game, it just changed and evolved, and the people and guilds I played with don't play anymore and I've gotten into lots of other games instead.