Keto Tips + Things I'd Wish I'd Known

Options

Replies

• RegencyLass
    RegencyLass Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I miss Dairy Queen!

Oh me, too. :( Though I couldn't eat it even if I wasn't doing Keto, because about five years ago I could no longer eat any brand of ice cream for some reason. And frozen custard is even worse (so long, Freddy's). Cramps nearly severe enough to warrant emergency care. The thing is, I'm not actually lactose intolerant as I can eat other dairy and dairy based products, even froyo, with no problem. Go figure.

• cake628
    cake628 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    brieomac wrote: »
    What are some remedies that folks have used to battle the nail polish remover taste in your mouth? While I was thrilled to get such a clear sign of ketosis, I am less than thrilled with the feeling that I can strip paint with each exhalation.

you could always try sugar free gum, that might help. And congrats for reaching ketosis!!
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Some food flare up my autoimmune disease. Also I am discovering that some food sensitivities can make the weight stall. Dairy and cheese might not be my friends. Experimenting this week.
  • marcie7050
    marcie7050 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know the risks of having high cholesterol with this diet? I will consult my MD, but it's midnight lol.
  • Drlmm11
    Drlmm11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, here is some info:

https://youtu.be/-QwD4xoSmRg
  • dramacat21
    dramacat21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    10 years ago I did a version of high protein/low carb dieting, and increased my exercise. I lost about 40 lbs in 1 year and went from a size 12-14 to a size 4-6 (160lbs to 122 llbs). Labs showed my cholesterol was above 140. Doctor said I was too young to be on a statin and asked if I would be willing to try to modify my diet to lower fat (yup); he also put me on daily doses of flaxseed oil, fish oil and niacin. In 3 months I repeated labs and my cholesterol had dropped 20 points. He was so impressed by the results, he called to ask if I had seen another doctor and been put on a statin.

I still take these as daily supplements, though my weight went up again after an injury in 2014. KETO seems to be working for me - down again this morning on weight and another 1/2” off waistline.

I’m getting my labs next week, so thanks very much for sharing!
  • jrmie333
    jrmie333 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    jrmie333 wrote: »
    Some food flare up my autoimmune disease. Also I am discovering that some food sensitivities can make the weight stall. Dairy and cheese might not be my friends. Experimenting this week.

So week #2 cutting out all the milk, yogurt, cheese but heavy whipped cream, cream cheese and coconut milk. Also curry paste brought from store is bad for me. Higher fat seems to work as long as it is higher than proteins and carbs of that day. Found ways to incorporate fat with eating sardines, keto friendly cakes and breads. We will see how this week goes.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    What I wish I would have known when I started:

1. Be consistent with measurements and pictures so when the scale shows no magic numbers I don't get discouraged.
    2. Electrolytes are always key no matter if you're a newbie to keto or a veteran
    3. Find your brand of keto and stick to it. There's so many keto variations out there. Find what works for you and do that.
    4. When you find your keto brand share it with others but be kind. What works for one won't work for all.
  • tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    brieomac wrote: »
    What are some remedies that folks have used to battle the nail polish remover taste in your mouth? While I was thrilled to get such a clear sign of ketosis, I am less than thrilled with the feeling that I can strip paint with each exhalation.

Just keep doing what your doing. It goes away. You're body is becoming fat adapted. I used to eat DoTerra (I'm NOT a rep) peppermint beadlets or just put a drop of pure peppermint essential oil (I use plant therapy blend, can buy on amazon) on my tongue to help with the taste and bad breathe.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    tifano wrote: »
    What I wish I would have known when I started:

1. Be consistent with measurements and pictures so when the scale shows no magic numbers I don't get discouraged.
    2. Electrolytes are always key no matter if you're a newbie to keto or a veteran
    3. Find your brand of keto and stick to it. There's so many keto variations out there. Find what works for you and do that.
    4. When you find your keto brand share it with others but be kind. What works for one won't work for all.

These are great....and true!
  • skinnydiane66
    skinnydiane66 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jrmie333 wrote: »

Have you ever done a Whole 30?
  • Leeleelahlah
    Leeleelahlah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • Tracyramos1220
    Tracyramos1220 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My number 1 tip is EAT MORE FAT!!! This is not a high protein diet! I started eating a lot of protein and fat but I noticed when I lowered my protein and ate more fat, I lost more weight!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    armymil87 wrote: »
    I’d also recommend ensuring you take daily multivitamins, potassium pills, and magnesium pills while on the Keto Diet.

Do you have a recommendation on potassium supplements? I'm finding potassium iodide and potassium gluconate.
    Thanks!
  • maryjane0811
    maryjane0811 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guy, I am new to keto and I am having issues with cramping muscles. What is the best way to keep up electrolites so that I don't have cramps?
  • lacerka963
    lacerka963 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    supplements calcium and magnesium, potassium (check with dr first).... increase salt intake.... stay hydrated....by time you are thirsty you are already low on hydration...increase green lefy vegetable consumption and also i think avocados have good dose of vitamins
  • lacerka963
    lacerka963 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Do you have a recommendation on potassium supplements? I'm finding potassium iodide and potassium gluconate.
    Thanks![/quote]
    this might help
    https://www.biohackerslab.com/reviews/best-potassium-supplements/

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Honestly my hunger is gone, I only eat 2 meals a day. I was the hungriest bear in the woods before I started, and now I have to force myself to eat. It is such a nice change. All the diet myths that we thought were true are false. In fact grains and carbs are what cause inflammation and they are making us sick. There is so much science backing this up. On the short time I have been on Keto, I can see now this is the solution to my portion control, hunger problems. I always thought I was doing so well eating so many veggies, turns out veggies are part of the problem and have lots of carbs. Crazy but I am quite confident this will be a new lifestyle for me. Yay for never being hungry!!