Fibromyalgia and on keto

Options
cindy2021
cindy2021 Posts: 15 Member
Anyone with Fibromyalgia doing keto? Has keto helped you? Is pain less?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't have fibre, but the lower carb I go (lower refined carbs especially) the less arthritis pain I have.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I live in constant pain but it's slightly less while in ketosis. The inflammation in my joints, especially my hands, is somewhat better as well.
  • Hbestrn
    Hbestrn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and just started the keto diet about a week and a half ago. I have been in a better mood but I haven't noticed a lot of difference otherwise yet... But to be fair I had a widely bad cheat meal and I paid for it. By that I mean I am not supposed to eat gluten or dairy (causes a flare in me) and I had pizza and bread sticks... Glutton for punishment, I swear. So then I essentially had to start over. How long have you been on keto?
  • cindy2021
    cindy2021 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hbestrn wrote: »
    I have fibro and just started the keto diet about a week and a half ago. I have been in a better mood but I haven't noticed a lot of difference otherwise yet... But to be fair I had a widely bad cheat meal and I paid for it. By that I mean I am not supposed to eat gluten or dairy (causes a flare in me) and I had pizza and bread sticks... Glutton for punishment, I swear. So then I essentially had to start over. How long have you been on keto?

About same time as you. 2 weeks tomorrow. But still waiting on pain to go down. I feel more energy but not much change in pain.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am nearly 62 years old and have had a roller coaster summer, have not been very compliant on keto for various reasons, however, when I was earlier this year, I definitely became a believer in the grain brain, wheat belly theory that grain is causing me pain and inflammation. I went to a party and ate just a little grain based food and woke up the next day with what felt like a hangover and since I had NOT had any alcohol nor sugar, I could only blame the grains. I do not have fibromyalgia, so cannot attest to that particular ailment, but I wholeheartedly believe that getting completely off grains will at least not add to your pain. You do need to stick to it long enough to become truly fat-adapted before you can know what the actual benefits for you will be. I no longer believe that just because I am getting older I have to accept that my body is going to become more painful. Hang in there and give it an honest trial to see if this way of eating can make a healthy difference for you! It really did for me and I am back and recommitted to getting keto right! You are worth this effort!
  • evahometx
    evahometx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have tried Ketoo on and off and I’m the last 4 weeks and feel like I am not as in bad pain when not eating high amount carbs and if to eat them they come from veggies and other stuff legit on Keto. I am trying Keto again and see.
  • jnlaughton7284
    jnlaughton7284 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am 46 and a male with Fibro/CFS and 3 days into a Keto plan. Coincidentally I have been in a flare up for the better part of a week but have noticed when I went to 10% carb daily my pain and bloating have went down immensely. I’m also drinking 100% more water which seems to have helped with the nerve pain ( again I’m basing this on my own flare ups ).

The saving grace of having Fibro on this plan is you’ll never know if you have Keto Flu or not because you always feel like you have the flu 😀.