Keto and running support

Options
kimmydear
kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
edited August 2018 in Social Groups
Hi all, I've been keto for 2-3 years and running on and off during that time. I would love to have a couple running friends who also do keto. As time goes on, I'm finding it harder to keep my energy level up. It could be age and the stage of life I'm in (45, mom of 3, working part time) but the energy drop is pretty noticeable. I'm not super interactive on these boards, but if anyone wouldn't mind me having an occasional peek at your diary for inspiration, I would love the help. Thanks! (Editing to add: I call it keto but some of you may not. I keep my carbs around 35 not 20.)

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't log so my diary won't be of much help to you. When I was doing strict calorie deficit I found that running gave me more calories to eat and drink. As I was losing I wanted to keep losing more and ended up running 30+ miles a week. I lost over 50 pounds and my huge beer gut. Life got busy and I slacked up my running and drank more beer. I then hurt my ankle skiing and quit running for months. Thirty pounds later I decided to get back in the groove and July 10th started keto. I have been running 4.3 miles 3 or four times a week but can't seem to get back to running without walking at times. My legs are just tired. I am hoping it gets better soon. I have given up my craft beer habit but still drink scotch and wine daily in the evenings. I have lost 13 pounds so far and other than running fatigue I feel great.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I haven't been logging lately so I would not be a good help either there. I have noticed an increase in energy, but not enough to fully work out yet. I have found I have the most energy when I'm getting enough water and protein. Usually if I'm having an off day, I notice I'm lacking one of those two things. If you've been doing Keto for 2-3 years, what has changed lately? You mention you keep carbs around 35g. Has it always been that way? Or has it crept up to that? I only ask as I tend to let things creep up and I have to watch it. It could be age. Not to...you know...point out or assume, but it could be early menopause if you haven't started that yet. Any hormonal changes will change your energy levels. Could be the heat if you live somewhere that's affected by that. Or somewhere near fires and perhaps you're inhaling smoke in the air. It may not be food/keto that's causing the drop in energy levels. Hell, it could just be the universe saying "slow down a bit".

I know, I'm no help. LOL
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, my current carb goal is 56, though I have been a the beach a lot on the weekends, so those aren't generally logged...I don't run, but I do workout every day, average 2 hours, which I don't log at all...

If I were suddenly fatigued more than usual and it wasn't obvious like not sleeping, here are the things I would consider:

1 - stress, is there a lot going on in your life that is different, even good changes cause a certain amount of stress to the body and stress is probably the number one reason I start to feel a lack of energy

2 - time of month, I sometimes get super tired around menstruation particularly if my iron levels are borderline, which brings up the next one

3 - iron, most women of menstruating age are running the ragged edge of iron deficiency anemia, increase intake of beef or liver or other high iron foods...iron is something you can overdose on, so supplementation is not recommended unless you have access to actual hematocrit testing to verify your iron level.

4 - adrenals, this is more likely after a long period of stress or a long period of calorie deficit, but as we age the adrenals become less efficient and require more nutritional support so it could just be a byproduct of getting older...try eating adrenal supporting foods or supplements like Nervous Fatigue (a traditional chineese medicine formula) or Licorice Root (which is epic for adrenals, but can cause an increase in blood pressure for some people so not recommended for anyone who already has high blood pressure)

5 - autoimmune disorders - if you have an autoimmune disorder, then fatigue is often the first sign of an impending flare, try whatever normally works to set it back in order, or pychnogenol which is like the only herbal thing I know of that's support for all autoimmune disorders

6 - thyroid - this can be quite common in women, but if fatigue is your only symptom then it's probably fairly borderline and not in need of medication...you might be able to benefit from iodine rich foods like shrimp or sea vegetable, etc.

You are the best to judge which (if any) of these might apply to you!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Running update, I did my 4.3 mile run this morning and never needed to walk any of it. I am hoping that I have turned the corner.
  • kimmydear
    Options
    sykin wrote: »
    I haven't been logging lately so I would not be a good help either there. I have noticed an increase in energy, but not enough to fully work out yet. I have found I have the most energy when I'm getting enough water and protein. Usually if I'm having an off day, I notice I'm lacking one of those two things. If you've been doing Keto for 2-3 years, what has changed lately? You mention you keep carbs around 35g. Has it always been that way? Or has it crept up to that? I only ask as I tend to let things creep up and I have to watch it. It could be age. Not to...you know...point out or assume, but it could be early menopause if you haven't started that yet. Any hormonal changes will change your energy levels. Could be the heat if you live somewhere that's affected by that. Or somewhere near fires and perhaps you're inhaling smoke in the air. It may not be food/keto that's causing the drop in energy levels. Hell, it could just be the universe saying "slow down a bit".

I know, I'm no help. LOL

Water and protein, yes, I think there is something to that. I've always had my carbs at higher than 20...I'm just not happy unless I have enough vegetables in my diet not being a big fan of meat. So maybe a lack of protein is the culprit. I already have menopause, but yeah, that's messed with me for the past year and a half in so many ways. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • kimmydear
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Running update, I did my 4.3 mile run this morning and never needed to walk any of it. I am hoping that I have turned the corner.

Great news! Gives me hope too. :)
  • kimmydear
    Options
    Thanks @tcunbeliever super helpful list of info. There are a couple there that I need to look into.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a runner (for about 10 years--I do about 2 half marathons a year and run 4-5 x a week) and also am keto. Feel free to add me! I did have a huge drop off in stamina when I started keto but now am faster than ever...though have not done more than 5 miles in recent months as I live in S. Florida where the heat is really crazy this time of year. I start training again in the fall and am hoping I can figure it out without changing my way of eating!