Curious Questions for the Weight Watchers...

Options
Hi fellow GoaD members, I'm a newbie and was curious since many of you hail from Weight Watchers - what are you thoughts on Intermittent Fasting? I tend to be science oriented and a big research nut, so far the vast majority of studies lean towards Intermittent Fasting (when combined with sensible, healthy nutrient based eating) is a effective long term option to sustaining weight? Open to some honest thoughts and discussions on this?

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Welcome @FatCrankyGoat to GoaD.

I have only read a little on Intermittent Fasting and now I’m on Maintenance so not trying to lose. I would probably have a problem being scheduled for Eating. My pattern varies and being restricted by the clock would not like it.

Not much for me to contribute but some GoaDs may chime in. @countcurt care to comment? I remember years ago when some new topics get lively.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,702 Member
    Options
    No fasting for me. I even hate to fast for blood work.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I've been playing with it a bit in the last couple months. I'm a bit of a nerd with stuff like this and get some serious satisfaction when I go 14 or 15 hours without food. When I do eat, it's healthy, satisfying and within my calorie allotment. I switched from weight watchers a couple months ago, but in your case it'd be staying within your points. I'm finding it pretty easy too since my diet resulted in my appetite being way down. I also found out that if I do get hungry, it usually passes within an hour if I ignore it. This past weekend we went to a beer fest and wanted to have a good meal before so I didn't eat until 1. I was starving, but busy, between 9 and 10, then fine until my lunch came (and I saved a whole lot of calories just by living through a little hunger). Other days I just don't feel "right" so I eat. I think it's important to really listen to my body. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll post a picture of the info that made me a believer.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I believe that you shouldn't do something to lose weight that you aren't ready to do the rest of your life. Weight maintenance is the continued practice of what you learned while losing (WW thing I guess). Would intermittent fasting fit that?
  • linmueller
    Options
    c217bjiy8k1d.jpg
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,009 Member
    Options
    Currently at my age 71 and considering my A/fib and on Zaralto Blood Thinner if I don't eat I get the shakes or something like that. When I was younger I could get up eat a lite breakfast and run without eating the entire day. A lot of the tie I didn't even eat breakfast and ran till late in the day.

Did this help me to loose weight ? No I don't think so because I would generally sit down and eat everything including the tablecloth if I could.

I do occasionally drink a protein chocolate shake made with water and this does give me energy.

SW 400.8
    CW 342.6😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

58.2 lbs Total lost
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the intermittent fasting plan, but I have been known to fast the day before weigh in because of a "scale panic" kind of reaction. It works as far as dropping a significant number of pounds from day to day,but I don't think its something I would like to do as a regular plan. I don't think I would find it sustainable.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,094 Member
    Options
    No fasting for me. Most of the "studies" I've seen on it have had such small population that it's one can not truely make a definitive conclision.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to fast either. When I am forced to fast for medical tests/procedures I'm not a nice person to be around. And then I tend to overeat to compensate once I am allowed food.

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    I am not opposed to fasting. While the research is somewhat limited, there is enough evidence to warrant further, broader research.

On those occasions I have fasted, most have been good experiences. However, I have to watch the blood sugar levels (I am NOT diabetic) because it can plunge unexpectedly, whether you are diabetic or not. When they do, that is most unpleasant and can be dangerous.

I would not recommend fasting as a method of losing weight.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    I very rarely miss a meal. Or a snack.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,100 Member
    Options
    Well we all "intermittent fast" at night while we are asleep. Other than that I don't consciously do it. Sometimes I forget to eat "breakfast" or lunch. There are lots of missing pieces to the claims as I see it. Having said that my neighbor across the street lost some nice weight doing some fasting. For me I lose when I eat the right amounts and get in activity. Honestly there is no way you can't burn calories when you move your body. I don't exercise to lose weight but I wouldn't do very well just sitting around either.

I am not hungry in the morning so technically I do NOT eat a defined breakfast (commonly defined as within 1 hour of arising and I believe something over about 300 calories). Many folks say they eat "breakfast" but like me don't eat until later morning. If you want to call that intermittent fasting so be it.
  • linmueller
    Options
    podkey wrote: »
    Many folks say they eat "breakfast" but like me don't eat until later morning. If you want to call that intermittent fasting so be it.

In my understanding, the most common definition of IF is fasting for 16 hours and then only eating within an 8-hour window.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,100 Member
    Options
    I often eat something in the morning about 14 or more hours after I consume dinner. I seldom, very seldom eat within an hour of arising. Most days I eat something about 4 or 5 hours after I awaken.
  • aarongregory417
    aarongregory417 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hiya Goat, I’ve been using IF for the last 6 weeks with the daily 16:8 method. A couple times a week I’ll push to 20:4, and in the last week I’ve been doing cardio in a fasted state.

I definitely see it as an eating strategy I can stick with long term.

For fat loss, I’m using a ketogenic diet with a “carb night” 1-3 times a month. I haven’t decided if I’ll use keto in the long term after I hit my maintenance weight. I’ve got some time to consider that since I’ve got about 18lbs and 10% body fat to lose before then 😂