LTL Thursday 8-16-18

Options
goldenfrisbee
goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for August are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - goldenfrisbee (Chris)
Friday - misterhub (Greg)

Today's topic: What has been the most successful strategy for weight loss/maintenance that you have found in your life.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Tracking everything - the good, the bad, the truly ugly days. And facing the scale every day that I'm home.

I have an amazing capacity for denial when I don't have some way to monitor my food consumption and my body weight.
  • FatCrankyGoat
    FatCrankyGoat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Tracking everything - the good, the bad, the truly ugly days. And facing the scale every day that I'm home.

I have an amazing capacity for denial when I don't have some way to monitor my food consumption and my body weight.

I’m a ‘newbie’ here and therefore no wisdom to share, but @gadgetgirlL comments seems to apply well to my current circumstance.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. I think keeping my mind headed in the right direction helps. I still go to WW meetings weekly and do the boards here which keeps me from totally drifting away. I have done better on WW than any previous diet plan. Struggling a bit right now and need to do better.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,262 Member
    Options
    WW from back around 2006. Without question.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,568 Member
    Options
    Tracking everything and having targets
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Short term answer colonoscopy. Long term answer track, track, track.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    Tracking is definitely number 1.

The other thing that helps me is to keep it interesting. New recipes, pulling out forgotten, but favorite recipes.

I also like to dive into new plans that challenge me. It helps to keep my head in the game.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,699 Member
    Options
    WW 2005 is when I did the best on weight loss calculating everything on the plan. Wish I would have kept my materials. I didn't do good with any of the plans after that.
    I Tracked then and still track, weigh, and measure today.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,481 Member
    Options
    Tracking. It has worked every time I’ve tried it. 4X now.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,062 Member
    Options
    Tracking and meetings.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    After losing 100# at age 67 my Goal was to not gain back weight like every other time.
    After three years of WW I did not gain and decided to Reboot with SP version and tried to lose a pound a week. Taught me how hard it could be to lose a pound a week over 52 weeks. (Lost -37#)
    Same approach I used 2017 (Lost -43#.)

So my biggest successful strategy was to be consistent, persistence and watch small losses add up over long periods of time.
    Focused on weekly WI and saw what and when happened when I did not lose one lousy pound!

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,995 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    WW Tracking.

SW 400.8
    CW 343.4😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

57.4 lbs Total lost