Garmin vs Powertap pedal based power

Options
Djproulx
Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
I'm going to add power to my bike this winter. Homing in on single sided pedal style. Wondering if anyone has looked at Garmin Vector 3 vs Powertap P1s units. Seems like the Garmin may have longer battery life. Any other significant pros/cons that I should consider when choosing?

Replies

• Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    PowerTap P1 were Triathlete Magazine's "Best in Class" for 2017. I don't have a PM just yet, but I'm getting there.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Yeah, don't think I can go wrong with either pick, since I have several friends who love their P1's. What has me thinking is that one of the users is a PowerTap ambassador, and yet her husband suggested Garmin Vector 3s, due to the longer battery life and better pedal clip functionality with Garmin. Guess I'll have to dig into this a bit more.

I've been using Virtual Power via the Trainerroad app when riding indoors, then relying on HR zones (as correlated to Power in Training Peaks) as a substitute for a true Power number when riding outdoors. This year, I'm hoping to take more of the guess work out of my riding. :)
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I decided to pull the trigger on power, (actually, when my fiancé tells me I can pull the trigger), I'll probably go with whatever has the best deal at the time. Definitely pedal/crank based.

That's all I've done, but on Zwift this year. I used trainerroad before and liked it better partly because it shows my power numbers as higher lol, but also because of the workouts. Working with a coach now he tells me my workouts. Regardless, I don't like either as I KNOW I'm putting out more power than what either say.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    DC Rainmaker has super in-depth reviews on both. Both are great. You really can't go wrong. I am cheap so I got Watteam POWERBEAT, which allows me to keep my current pedals and still get pretty accurate power.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Hi, The P1's seem to have better reliability from my friends anecdotes. They are also easier to switch from bike to bike from what i hear. Also, purely FYI, if anyone is interested I'm selling my 2 Stages units which I've had really good luck with. PM me for specs.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Went with the Garmin Vector 3's, single sided. And just to keep things current, I also swapped out my old Cannondale road bike for a Felt IA10. Take delivery and get fitting done late next week. :)
  • solieco1
    Options
    NICE! Enjoy!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I’m looking at power meters as well. I’ve looked at the forums for the Garmin Vector 3. The comments there mention concerns with reliability that worry me in light of similar issues with previous Vector models. They made a change to the Vector 3 doors that had been causing battery problems. I would feel better if they can demonstrate stable build quality over time.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    I’m looking at power meters as well. I’ve looked at the forums for the Garmin Vector 3. The comments there mention concerns with reliability that worry me in light of similar issues with previous Vector models. They made a change to the Vector 3 doors that had been causing battery problems. I would feel better if they can demonstrate stable build quality over time.

I've had my Vector 3s since Jan and love them. Pairing w/my 920XT and 520 bike computer was simple and they've performed flawlessly since day one.
  • ttippie2000
    Options
    I like the vector 3 product. If they’re working that’s good to hear.
  • ttippie2000
    Options
    I'd like to follow up with a question. As I look at how to jump into power-based cycling training I find myself researching different devices, such as power pedals and stationary smart trainers. Thus my question: Does anybody have advice on how to get going with power-based training without the expense of buying a smart trainer for indoor training and another system for outdoor training?
  • solieco1
    Options
    How many bikes? I like to use the same power meter for consistent data on different bikes so easy switching pedals are great. I like powertap P1.
  • ttippie2000
    Options
    I have a road bike niw and will probably buy a time trial bike in 2019.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    When I started out with indoor training, I didn't have power. So I used the Trainerroad app and my fluid trainer. If you're not familiar with the Trainerroad app, it has a feature called Virtual Power, essentially taking inputs based on your trainer model(I have a Cyclops) and marrying that info with your speed/cadence data to create a power estimate. This feature works very well as long as you kept tire pressure constant for each ride. I used the Trainerroad's Base Building plans and Half Iron distance plans to train indoors over the winter during my first season.

I have Garmin Vector pedals on my tri bike. I don't think I'll use my old road bike with the trainer, I'll stick to the tri bike. I"m strongly considering the purchase of a Wahoo Kicker and perhaps a subscription to Zwift and/or renewing my Trainerroad account for the indoor riding season.