Do You Use prepared products

Options
I have found since I have been doing this that there are come nice products out there which makes it a little easier for me. Like the riced cauliflower, there is a bacon cheddar mashed cauliflower casserole,, the spiral veggie etc. Do you have some favorites. I bought a book with recipes in it and some friends have tried them but I have not tried them yet. I don't have the xanthem gum and etherol yet, I have the liquid and powdered stevia. Are these the products mot of you use?
I found a brand of high fiber wraps with 5 net carbs but I have only used them twice. They are very tasty. I had used them before and they last a good while in the fridge. Does anyone go to Trader Joe's they have a lot of very nice items I can use on this way of life. Especially cheese. I am a cheeseaholic.

Replies

• GrannyGoes4it
    GrannyGoes4it Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been checking the labels carefully, like the riced cauliflower is just cauliflower same with the spiral zucchini I know what you mean about added ingredients. I eat a ton of fish and shell fish and limit the red meat because hubby is not doing this no blood sugar or weight problems and he is not in any way willing to give up his sweets that does not bother me. I have no blood sugar issues or dairy but major major back surgery and need to get weight off for that reason. I am so pleased so far. Thanks again for helping me.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The closest I come to prepared products are pork rinds... I can find all of the protein/fats that I need and want in nature. Besides, my experience with most of the prepared products is that the packaging they come in tastes better than the products contained there-in.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I mostly have plain old food and don't do a lot of prepared stuff, but some things do come in handy. I like having a "jar of mayo" at the ready or riced cauliflower for a quick add to a recipe, and when hubby wants to "help/make something" in the kitchen (yikes, run for cover, is the homeowners insurance up to date, EPA suits on? etc, lol) then it's nice to be able to hand him a simple packaged item and let him "make" (heating the item up is fairly safe, lol) that. I DO think they have their place but for the most part I don't buy them. Many prepared items are full of additives that I don't want in my body and a lot of them are way too expensive, but some are worth the purchase and make our keto WOE so much easier. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't buy many prepared foods...if any. I even buy my mushrooms whole. I like to chop and dice and have lots of time on my hands plus I find it relaxing. I do have stuff like canned tomatoes in my pantries along with far too many spices and home made spice blends. I started making my own blends and salad dressings when I was eating a low sodium diet.

There are only 2 of us in the household and most things that come prepared equate to too much for 2 people. You mentioned Trader Joe's. I have bought their Green Thai Simmering Sauce and it is very good. I've heard that most of their stuff is great but really haven't tried much. It's on the other side of town from me so I'll stop in when I'm in the area but really don't buy much other than their stevia, Greek Yogurt, eggs and maybe some cheese. We don't really eat a lot of cheese but their prices are excellent. Roasted red peppers. Capers. If I'm running low. Overall they do have really nice prices. I bought some salmon there once that was terrible. :#

We eat, fish, meat, vegetables mostly. Add rice or potatoes for my husband. I live on eggs, Greek Yogurt, cottage cheese, sardines, salads and canned tuna in addition to whatever I cook for dinner which varies greatly. Tonight will be tacos/taco salad. I make my own shells. We like them better than "store bought". They're just Maseca (brand) and water and I have a tortilla press. I don't eat taco shells unless we're having shrimp tacos. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don’t use any of the prepared foods either. I just never bothered with replacing rice like textures. I did buy a zucchini noodle maker. Looks like a giant pencil sharpener. I used zucchini noodles made that way for various things in the beginning. If the riced veggies are truly just veggies, I see no reason you can’t use them though.
    I never tried to make any recipes that had those hard to find ingredients. Didn’t seem worth the trouble or expense to me.
    I did use liquid stevia in my coffee for a while until I decided sweeteners needed to go. I do still keep some around for my daughter to use and for the couple times a year I make a low carb dessert to take someplace.
    I always opt for simple ones like classic cheesecake with almond flour crust or simple sweetened whipped cream and cream cheese and berries as a parfait kind of thing. Stuff like that seems to be widely accepted by even people that eat a typical high sugar diet.
    It seems the “keto cakes” and “brownies” are always disappointing except to the keto dieters desperate for something resembling that texture. They know it’s still not quite right but they want it so bad they don’t care :lol: those kinds of things always seem to need those specialty ingredients and since they are disappointing anyway just save your money, I say.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have "no sugar added ketchup". It has 1 carb/tbsp. It probably isn't made with "real ingredients" but I don't care because breakfasts are hard for me and with scrambled eggs I need ketchup! BUT I also buy pickled eggs if I don't have any prepared. Pickled eggs have become a staple for me. I bought some konjac noodles, but didn't like the texture so I stick to spaghetti squash. I have stevia but think it is gross! I have been eating low carb for almost 4 months now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    packaged food that I use...riced cauliflower from costco...and I love their bag salads too...the kale one and the asian one are my favorite...peanut butter stuffed pretzels - have to watch the quantity because they are carby, but they are also amazing and just 5-7 of them can be a super satisfying snack and still keep me within range...ham and cheese slices, love making rollups out of these even though it's processed meat and vaguely cheese-like food...ramen, again, must watch quantity, but if it's my only carbs of the day I can have 1/2 a pack and totally get my brothy fix on, plus I like to add eggs to it while cooking so I get kind of an egg drop with noodles soup and add some cheese, some days that just totally hits the spot...canned chicken/tuna sometimes for quick and easy salads, particularly love tuna with old bay and chicken with tarragon...french's mustard, sometimes for dipping rollups, sometimes instead of salad dressing, it's totally tangy...duke's mayo...greek yogurts...cream cheese...baby dill pickles...t.marzetti's bleu cheese dressing...those are all kind of staples for me...
  • GrannyGoes4it
    Options
    tc you like a lot of the same things I like. I bought some low carb spaghetti sauce and I am going to add the ground meat. I am going to try these new noodles I heard about that are low in everything. It sounds like shiitake but that isn't it. They are in the fridge section by the wantons. You rinse them, dry them on a paper towel or towel, saute them in a skillet to dry them more and crisp them a little and they are supposed to be good. We shall see. I will let you know if they are good I will write the name down and pass it on.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Depending on how I define "prepared foods"...I'll change my answer. I have a refrigerator door loaded with things like mustards, ketchup, relish, pickles, pickled hot peppers, hot sauces, red curry paste, tomato paste in a tube, sundried tomatoes in oil, mayo, peanut butter, etc.

My freezer has: nuts, seeds, coconut, berries. Some frozen corn and peas. I didn't personally pick and process any of these. Same is true for the meats and fish in my freezer in the garage. And the canned tuna, sardines, tomatoes, olives, etc. in the pantry

I guess I buy many prepared foods. I was thinking more along the lines purchasing frozen riced cauliflower versus purchasing a head of cauliflower and ricing it. Or already spiralized zucchini versus spirilizing one at home. Or a pre-made frozen entree that you might just thaw and toss in a wok.
  • GrannyGoes4it
    Options
    SunnyBunny I have a friend whose whole family are doing this and they have a cook book which I also have now and everything they have tried they have liked. Walmart has some good prices on the ingredients and has most of them. There is a sweetener they use that you have to order but the rest are low in price and available they even carry the xantham gum. I am picky too so I will be honest if it is not good.
  • GrannyGoes4it
    Options
    KPK, my Trader Joe is about 14 miles away but I try to get there at least once a month. They have the coconut oil, different nut butters, I got the sunflower one only 2 carbs per 1 T, I got plain crab meat, shrimp, buffalo burger patties, blueberry and black berries, and they carry a brand of cucumber (Persian) that do not go bad for at least two weeks, they are awesome. They have cream in a box that can just be kept in the pantry like almond milk, the expiration date is usually 3 months out I put it in fridge when I get it home but it is nice to have the whipping cream in a pinch not have to run to the store. I use the regular in between. I found a web site called Trader Joe's fan and there are write ups on products. Very helpful to me. We just got this store is why I am so excited.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Real Good Foods Co. has pizza and enchiladas that we tried and liked. I keep some in the freezer for emergency meals, no time to cook or I am doing extended fasts and hubby wants something quick and easy. I use wraps that have low net carbs. We just bought some no sugar added ketchup for hubby, haven't tried it, if his BS is good after using it we will keep that around for him. I like to make my own zoodles and cauliflower rice as well as fat bombs instead of low carb dark chocolate. So we have tried a few things and I like my homemade items much better than store bought in general.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    While sometimes I make my own, I often use a lot of things for convenience like deli meats, condiments, pre-spiralized or riced veggies etc. It is not very often that I purchase prepared foods such as Quest bars or frozen entrees... simply because I have never been happy with their taste vs cost. Comparatively speaking I didn't buy a lot of that stuff when I wasn't low carb either!

I'm all for anything that can make your life easier. Life has enough challenges without food guilt. If you like them and it works for you, go for it!
  • flitabout38
    flitabout38 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    As far as prepared foods I don't usually have a lot. I do keep ketchup (I tried making my own and it just sucked) mustard, mayo (made with avocado oil) and some salad dressings. I try make everything myself, but as a busy mom of 5 sometimes the pre-made stuff is a must! That said what I buy is generally a whole food source with nothing added! Things like lettuce mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, zucchini noodles and riced cauliflower. I can make all of these things but when I am busy that's what's easier.
    In the beginning if using the processed stuff works for you to keep you on track then do it. But as you get into doing it longer you will find that natural homemade food are 100 times better in terms of nutrition and taste.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use Walden Farms Pancake Syrup. There is NOTHING in it...you can check the label. I know its probably not a great thing but I LOVE french toast and I can splurge and have it for breakfast on occasion and only count the carbs in the bread.

Its the only Walden Farms product I can use. Their salad dressings taste terrible to me. So I use regular salad dressings in moderation.

• kpk54
    edited August 2018
    Options
    We just got this store is why I am so excited.

I know what you mean. A Sprouts opened just today about 10 miles from me so I'll likely check it out tomorrow. I've heard lots of good things about Sprouts. And sometime next year a Wegman's is opening about 1.5 miles up the street from my house. :) I love having so many choices. Actually what I really love is the competition and the sales. Plus they're all bending over backwards to provide incredible service.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I use very little pre-prepared stuff. It is mostly bacon, eggs, cheese, leafy greens and meat. I do have a fondness for sardines which probably count as prepared. I often have a can of chicken with my lunch because it is easy to do at the office. That probably counts as prepared too. My wife likes the packaged cauliflower rice, and we have that from time to time.
  • wheeee123
    wheeee123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I buy hard boiled eggs- pre cooked and peeled, individual servings of guacamole, and frozen veggies. Trader Joe’s has some frozen hot wings that we haven’t tried, but they’re in the freezer for an emergency meal. And flavored cream cheese is awesome in celery.
  • CarolynRSB
    CarolynRSB Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Riced cauliflower is nice when on sale, so you're only paying like a dollar more than for a cauliflower head you then have to take home and prep. If you find buying some of these kinds of basic ingredients helps you keep on track, then go for it. As for processed stuff, just read labels carefully to ensure there aren't undesirable things in there.