Then or Now? - Preparing for vacation.

Options
Hi, guys. I might be overthinking this, but I could certainly use some perspective.

I've been eating keto (though not ALWAYS tracking, I found I was getting obsessive lately, so I've settled down) since late-ish June? I've lost 31lbs so far, which is great, but I have a trip coming up next Friday. And I'm going to Disney.

My goal is to eat keto as much as possible, but I don't want to be actively depriving myself of something if I truly want it. So my plan is to enjoy myself within reason. However: I've read about people going off of keto. And I've been very strictly less than 20g of carbs. Like, there are some days that my carbs are just from cheese. I have embraced my inner Ron Swanson.

Here's my question: so that I'm not keeling over backward in the heat of Orlando, should I be adding carbs NOW? I leave next friday. Or should I just take it case by case when I'm there? I intend to order meat/fish with healthy sides. I know potatoes are a trigger, drats!!, so I'll be actively avoiding them. But like, if I eat a pretzel or half a dessert or WHATEVER...I don't want to be sick. I am zero percent concerned with water weight gain. I'll be drinking my typical gallon + with ketoade and a slew of vitamins.

I just don't know if I should start now or wait until then. I greatly appreciate any advice you have on this topic.

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So, I just got back from a weeklong vacation where I, too, PLANNED to eat some carbs if anything special appealed to me. Aside from wine, I did not really eat anything that wasn't keto-friendly (and I often have dry wine, 1 glass every now and then.) I just didn't crave anything special. I ended up losing a few pounds while on vacation, I think just because we were so active!

Unless you plan to really binge, I am sure an occasional high-carb treat won't make you feel sick. But I found myself gravitating like you towards cheese more than anything.

Also, as a Floridian--Orlando/Disney is NOT a foodie destination, though eating at Epcot is fun! I don't think you'd really be missing anything, JMHO.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I did fairly well on my short trip not eating carbs but I had trouble getting fats. I keep a bag of macadamia nuts in my room and sneaked a few to top me off. The problem came from some airport delays that meant beers.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you don't generally have food sensitivities, I wouldn't worry about additional carbs making you ill if that is what you mean.

Part of my plan is to flex on special occasions like vacations or holidays. What usually happens is I find I desire things much less than I anticipated and when I do indulge it isn't as exciting as I might have imagined. Don't get me wrong. I love a pile of chips with queso, salsa and guacamole or a big fat ice cream sundae as much as the next person.

Enjoy every aspect of your vacation which does include food. Don't go overboard. Unless you're diabetic (or have some medical issue), the carbs won't hurt you and you'll likely walk off the extra calories.

Remember why you started. Have fun! No need to practice eating carbs, IMO.

• eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan to really binge, I am sure an occasional high-carb treat won't make you feel sick. But I found myself gravitating like you towards cheese more than anything.

Also, as a Floridian--Orlando/Disney is NOT a foodie destination, though eating at Epcot is fun! I don't think you'd really be missing anything, JMHO.

I wouldn't say binge so much as I intend to try things in Epcot. Food is obviously one of my passions and my family plays it safe, so we eat a lot of the same things over and over. Eating different cultural foods is neat. But I've also been craving things like bread and etc. So while I don't expect to dominate a cake any time soon, I do know I'll be over my 20g of carbs each day. And it's nearly impossible to know what I'm going to eat before I go and count all of the carbs before hand. :/
    rsclause wrote: »
    I did fairly well on my short trip not eating carbs but I had trouble getting fats. I keep a bag of macadamia nuts in my room and sneaked a few to top me off. The problem came from some airport delays that meant beers.

I can take a can of macadamia nuts with me. I don't drink at all, so I'm not worried about alcohol as a factor, thankfully! I do a lot of intermittent fasting for portion control, so I usually stack burgers or steaks or whatever to hit my fat goals and my protein all at once.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't generally get sick when adding carbs, so for me I would just wait until actually on vacation and then eat whatever.

As for Disney eating...the sushi restaurant at the polynesian...so yum...and the beignets at the french quarter...that's the only super memorable ones that come to mind for eating...I loved that there were starbucks everywhere, but I usually just go for a plain americano so that's plenty keto
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If you don't generally have food sensitivities, I wouldn't worry about additional carbs making you ill if that is what you mean.

Part of my plan is to flex on special occasions like vacations or holidays. What usually happens is I find I desire things much less than I anticipated and when I do indulge it isn't as exciting as I might have imagined. Don't get me wrong. I love a pile of chips with queso, salsa and guacamole or a big fat ice cream sundae as much as the next person.

Enjoy every aspect of your vacation which does include food. Don't go overboard. Unless you're diabetic (or have some medical issue), the carbs won't hurt you and you'll likely walk off the extra calories.

Remember why you started. Have fun! No need to practice eating carbs, IMO.

I mean, my migraines completely disappeared with keto, which is incredible. I was getting them every day and now I haven't touched my migraine meds in almost two months. But I don't think I have food sensitivities otherwise. I'm aware that sugar causes problems, I did a year without sugar, but it wasn't strictly keto--since I hadn't heard of it back then!

I plan to track and pay attention to what I'm eating, for sure. That's really smart advice. And thank you!
    I don't generally get sick when adding carbs, so for me I would just wait until actually on vacation and then eat whatever.

As for Disney eating...the sushi restaurant at the polynesian...so yum...and the beignets at the french quarter...that's the only super memorable ones that come to mind for eating...I loved that there were starbucks everywhere, but I usually just go for a plain americano so that's plenty keto

Good to know! I was trying to research and read about headaches, stomach cramps, bloating, aching limbs, etc. And I was like ...we're going to be walking 30k steps a day, I don't need to be losing lunch on top of that. :( The food at Disney is one of my favorite parts (maybe I'm weird?), so I'm so looking forward to it, I just didn't want to face-plant. I'll wait until next Saturday then! Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. :)