Off the wagon and in denial

Darlel
Darlel Posts: 11 Member
Well for the last 6 months I have not been watching my diet. My A1C is at 11! (6 months ago I was at 6.8) My morning BS readings are around 240. But I have lost a total of 25 lbs over the last 9 months which surprises me as I denied myself almost nothing in these last 6 months. I am supposed to be taking 1000 mg of metformin in the morning and 1000 mg at night. But was skipping the morning dose because most of the time I just forgot. My test in my Dr's office was at 300. Yes she told me I had to get serious about this. I have had a lot going on and some depression hitting me. Those are my excuses, but I also know for a bit I was just tired of not being able to have anything. I just said to myself the heck with this and everybody and I did what I wanted. Now, I have to try to get myself back into gear. I am only drinking water, and taking my pills morning and night. Dr says if I am improved in 3 months we will stick with current plan. If not she may add some other medication. This scared me, I don't really want to make myself sick or worse. I would appreciate ideas on getting my Blood Sugar to go down. Is walking going to help? Thanks
«1

Replies

  • Darlel
    Darlel Posts: 11 Member
    Well, my plan is to check my BS in the morning and two hours after my first meal. Take my meds at 8:00 PM then take my second metformin at around 9:00. I will start with walking as long as I can hopefully at least one half hour for the first two weeks. Then I will add aerobic exercises two or three times per week. I am following a diabetic diet but allowing some fats and only 50 carbs a day along with normal proteins. So I have a plan and I realize it will take some time.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think the thing is to have a reasonable plan that you will actually follow. If you make it too hard, you set yourself up for failure.

    I found that (with me) restricting the carbs had a dramatic impact on the glucose levels.

    I was diagnosed in September of 2016 with an A1C of 12.8 and a fasting blood glucose in the 300's. I started metformin and a low carb diet that started at 50 carbs a day and then turned into 20 carbs a day based on feedback from the meter. In January of 2017, I had an A1C of 6.9 and a fasting glucose of 102. That was just meds and diet. I am reasonably active with my work (8000 steps). I don't go to the gym or anything. Exercise is a good thing, but it is just not part of what I have been doing.

    I lost weight on the diet, and my doctor reduced and then took me off the metformin. My last A1C after being off the metformin for 6 months was 5.6 and my fasting glucose was 95. I have been managing all this with just keeping the carbs <20 a day and the weight loss. I keep an eye on the total calories as part of the weight management.

    You can do it.
  • Darlel
    Darlel Posts: 11 Member
    I am looking at each day as a new day. I have kept my carbs under 50 for 3 days now. Have not started walks yet. I think it is enough for me just getting used to eating correctly right now and taking my meds. Thanks for your time.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    When I started the low carb, it was really just with an eye to managing the blood glucose. Once I seemed to have that under control, I reduced calories so I could lose about a pound a week. You divide and conquer.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Darlel wrote: »
    I am looking at each day as a new day. I have kept my carbs under 50 for 3 days now. Have not started walks yet. I think it is enough for me just getting used to eating correctly right now and taking my meds. Thanks for your time.

    It sounds like you're working steadily at making good changes. Yes, one day at a time is the best we can do. Good luck and be proud of how you're doing!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hope you are doing well! Exercise for me made a huge difference and lets me eat more carbs while keeping my sugars normal. Weight lifting in particular will keep my levels good for up to 48 hours. Exercise also really improves insulin resistance. Walking is a great place to start! Studies have found that three ten minute walks after meals is better for glucose control than one thirty minute walk - if you only have ten minutes get up and move.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Hello Darlel,
    It has a month. How is it going?
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    2t9nty wrote: »
    When I started the low carb, it was really just with an eye to managing the blood glucose. Once I seemed to have that under control, I reduced calories so I could lose about a pound a week. You divide and conquer.

    Are you on low carbs , high fat diet ? My husband is on low carbs diet at present.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Malimalai wrote: »
    2t9nty wrote: »
    When I started the low carb, it was really just with an eye to managing the blood glucose. Once I seemed to have that under control, I reduced calories so I could lose about a pound a week. You divide and conquer.

    Are you on low carbs , high fat diet ? My husband is on low carbs diet at present.

    I did a lot of finger sticks as I figured out how I was responding to things. I keep the net carbs under 20, and the fat is usually about 55%. I eat more protein than most people do, and I have not found it elevates my glucose. I have been off metformin for a year now, and my last A1C was 5.4.
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    Climbing back on the wagon myself. 10 days ago I went back to my Dr. and found my A1C was at 12.2. After a harsh scolding I've been a good boy. I've started a low carb diet (16 carbs yesterday, I would get 4 times that in one of my 20oz Cokes 11 days ago) and my glucose levels have been in a free fall. A1C of 12.2 calculates to a glucose level of about 303, this morning it was at 128 up from yesterday's 116. I'm currently on 1000 mg of metformin, doc wants me to bump it up the 1500 on Monday then to 2000 in another two weeks. Doc wants me to have my A1C below 8 by my next visit in 3 months. Current glucose number calculate out in the 5.5 to 6.5 range. If I stay in this range should I add the extra meds? What way you?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Dadof8 wrote: »
    Climbing back on the wagon myself. 10 days ago I went back to my Dr. and found my A1C was at 12.2. After a harsh scolding I've been a good boy. I've started a low carb diet (16 carbs yesterday, I would get 4 times that in one of my 20oz Cokes 11 days ago) and my glucose levels have been in a free fall. A1C of 12.2 calculates to a glucose level of about 303, this morning it was at 128 up from yesterday's 116. I'm currently on 1000 mg of metformin, doc wants me to bump it up the 1500 on Monday then to 2000 in another two weeks. Doc wants me to have my A1C below 8 by my next visit in 3 months. Current glucose number calculate out in the 5.5 to 6.5 range. If I stay in this range should I add the extra meds? What way you?

    I had a diagnosis A1C of 12.8. I stayed on the 2000 mg metformin until my A1C dropped to below 6 I think. I am pretty sure that between keto and the metformin, I was in the 6's after 3 months. Between the diet and the meds, it took 15 months to get below 6. I am off meds now and had an A1C at the last couple of panels in the 5's.

    Personally I would ramp up the metformin and stay on it until you can get a reasonably normal A1C.

    How many times a day are you checking BG? For me anyway, it took more than once a day to really get a sense of where the A1C would land.
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    At this point it seem the low carb diet has put my BG into a free fall (102 this AM) I don't know what the metformin increase has done to that number. I'm inclined to let my BG number stabilize before making the metformin change. I know tuning the BG is not a precise formula but by turning to many knobs at the same time it's hard to tell which one is working. I have been checking my BG several times a day and yes the morning is typically the low water mark of the day but over time it seem to provide a base line to work from.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Dadof8 wrote: »
    At this point it seem the low carb diet has put my BG into a free fall (102 this AM) I don't know what the metformin increase has done to that number. I'm inclined to let my BG number stabilize before making the metformin change. I know tuning the BG is not a precise formula but by turning to many knobs at the same time it's hard to tell which one is working. I have been checking my BG several times a day and yes the morning is typically the low water mark of the day but over time it seem to provide a base line to work from.

    Remember that normal glucose is below 100 and normal after meals is below 130. Your doctor was shooting for a much more conservative management for you, but if you’re not at risk of hypoglycemic events due to glucose lowering meds such as insulin or glimeperide, there’s no reason in this world not to shoot for healthy levels. My a1c is currently 4.9 - which is normal nondiabetic levels.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Also wanted to say, don’t be in too big a rush to get off Metformin, it’s a weight loss drug and appetite suppressant. If you aren’t having serious side effects with it, it can be very helpful.
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    I've only been on the low card diet for about 10 days so I have a small sample size. I'd like to see where my BG "stabilizes" before increasing my meds. I'm not in a hurry to get off it just reluctant to take on more.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Dadof8 wrote: »
    I've only been on the low card diet for about 10 days so I have a small sample size. I'd like to see where my BG "stabilizes" before increasing my meds. I'm not in a hurry to get off it just reluctant to take on more.

    Normally metformin dosage is ramped up slowly because that minimizes side effects. Effective dosage level for most people starts at about 1500 mg. Below that you aren’t even doing anything. Don’t ignore the prescribed levels of your meds without talking to your doctor.
  • ADeepGreyChair
    ADeepGreyChair Posts: 2 Member
    I was taking Metformin IR 1000mg in the morning. The GI effects were tolerable ... but I was taking Imodium and gas x ... constantly. No fun and lousy FBG 160 -220. Rarely saw anything lower than 150 during the day. Granted I was eating too many carbs and sitting in my chair. It was a long, cold winter in Montana!

    A1c this March 8.0. So the doctor switched me to 500 mg of Metformin XR once a day. Side effects ... gone. Three weeks low-ish carb. Started seeing FBG between 120 & 144 and 2HPP as low as 100. Thought my glucometer was broken - since it was over 5 years old and had been dropped a few times - I bought a new one. It wasn't broken!

    I'm considering the 'Virta' program. Virta monitors all biomarkers remotely and daily. And adjusts macros based on height, weight, activity levels, medications etc ... Pricey since my insurance company doesn't cover it. But ... for those of us who are on other meds - going low carb/Keto will eventually affect medication dosages (e.g. blood pressure meds). The Virta doctor is able to prescribe medications changes as needed.
    www.virtahealth.com
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    3 weeks of being back on the wagon with a low carb diet. FBG before getting on the wagon was ~303, I've now been below 100 for the past 6 days. I've increased the metformin from 500 to 1000 mg. Doc wants me to go to 2000 mg. At this point with FGB < 100 and still on a slight downward trend I'm going o hold off on the increase until I see the need.
  • Dadof8
    Dadof8 Posts: 146 Member
    6 weeks of being back on the wagon with a low carb diet. I'm testing my eAG two or three times a day and it's in the 90s most of the time. I'm still on 1000 mg of Metformin ER and I've lost 16 lbs. Things seem to be going better without Coke!